Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2021 2:19:01 PM EDT
When did this become a big thing.  Can't watch a video on TikTok without the speaker making sure their hands are in frame and mobile whilst making the video.

And I now notice how frequently people are doing it whilst talking on their cellphone whilst driving, or whilst talking to their passengers.

I don't feel the need to punctuate my speech with my arms flailing about, what am I missing, where did this new cultural phenomena come from?
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Tik tok.

Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m of Italian descent, it comes naturally to me.

Also, no tick tick for me
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Whilst
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Gesturing to make a point, is fine.  I agree that some people must have gone to college and majored in "Overemphasizing," going on to get a Masters in "Pantomime" with a Doctorate in "Emoting."  There's a car reviewer that I never watch, but a review of his was posted on here.  I couldn't make it more than a minute into his review because his fucking hands were NEVER still.  I assume he liked the car, to go on about it like he did, but I'll never know for sure because fuck all that.  He was giving me motion sickness.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a big thing in the deaf community.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I am also Italian. As a kid, I thought that people who did not talk with their hands were strange.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#7]
The worst gestures are when they don't match up with the spoken word. I know a woman that looks spastic when she talks because her story is saying one thing but her hands and arms are saying another.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When did this become a big thing.  Can't watch a video on TikTok without the speaker making sure their hands are in frame and mobile whilst making the video.

And I now notice how frequently people are doing it whilst talking on their cellphone whilst driving, or whilst talking to their passengers.

I don't feel the need to punctuate my speech with my arms flailing about, what am I missing, where did this new cultural phenomena come from?
View Quote

AOC is the fucking WORST doing this. Someone needs to tell her it doesent make her appear to be any smarter.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am also Italian. As a kid, I thought that people who did not talk with their hands were strange.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seeing as how I also have Irish and Scottish blood in me, one hand is usually holding an alcoholic beverage so I’m only half as good as I could be.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]
You must have never been to cajun country. we all do it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Nothing wrong with the occasional gesticulation.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#12]
As long as you're not flopping your hands around wildy all the time there is nothing wrong with using your hands while you talk.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Whilst
View Quote

OP be whilstin' out.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#14]
People do not listen very well.

Try this experiment: Ask where the restroom is while tapping your arm where your watch would be.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Saw a study that only 15% of communication, is actually the phonic sounding of the words.  Face, hands, tone, etc, all play a huge role in how you actually communicate.  A raised eyebrow can be far lauder and more clear, than talking for 30 minutes, depending.

So yes, if you aren't using your hands in your communications.  And you want your communications to be effective.  Then you should considering being more animated.  It works.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Seeing as how I also have Irish and Scottish blood in me, one hand is usually holding an alcoholic beverage so I’m only half as good as I could be.
View Quote

Seems fitting:

Danny Bhoy on Italian Gestures
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Not a new thing though
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yet you want these girls voting.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here , ya should have seen the family dinners.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#20]
If Nanny Pelosi ever lost her hands, she would be mute.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yet you want these girls voting.
View Quote
Didn't say a thing about girls!
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#22]
How could a 12 year old girl join this website in 2004?
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Saw a study that only 15% of communication, is actually the phonic sounding of the words.  Face, hands, tone, etc, all play a huge role in how you actually communicate.  A raised eyebrow can be far lauder and more clear, than talking for 30 minutes, depending.

So yes, if you aren't using your hands in your communications.  And you want your communications to be effective.  Then you should considering being more animated.  It works.
View Quote

Yes 80% of communication is non-verbal.  I talk with my hands as well.  As others have said, it comes naturally.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#24]
If my wife broke one of her arms she’d have a speech impediment.  Sometimes I have to calm her down before she takes flight.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I could tell OP was not from Boston/NYC.

Also, a good chunk of the presentation training out there tells you to do it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did you make this post with speech-to-text, or.....?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 12:52:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol ok zoomer.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 12:59:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same, my employees bust my balls because I do it while on the phone to someone several states away.  I do it subconsciously, and have for decades.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a wonder there were never any broken noses or black eyes.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top