Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2021 4:20:29 PM EDT
It looks like I can save 1% by refinancing to a 15 year which seems to be the benchmark for worth it or not. Current rate is 3.75% and I got a mailer from wells fargo quoting 2.66%. monthly payment would go from about $1500 or about $900.

I'm sure I don't want to re-finance with wells fargo. My main question is how to decide where to go for refinancing and all that?

I like Dave Ramsey(I know, a controversial point here) and he lists Churchill Mortgage on his website. Anyone go that route?

Is it as easy as filling out the online info, and e signing some documents?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You should get rates from multiple lenders and compare.  If you are a Costco member they have a home lending referral program that guarantees low closing costs, but you can do even better with your own legwork.

I've done two refinances through First Internet Bank of Indiana.  Was a fairly smooth process, but the last one back in November took a good long while.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should get rates from multiple lenders and compare.  If you are a Costco member they have a home lending referral program that guarantees low closing costs, but you can do even better with your own legwork.

I've done two refinances through First Internet Bank of Indiana.  Was a fairly smooth process, but the last one back in November took a good long while.
View Quote

I shouldn't be too worried about the company offering the refinance? Flat out best offer is the thing to go with?

Years ago, I signed up for rocket mortgage to view rates, and about 6 month's later someone was using my social to sign up for credit cards. I can't prove it, but I think the 2 were correlated, so now I'm extra paranoid about where my information is going.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
mine was pretty easy, i went from 5% to 2.625, dropped 5 years(10 year note now) and kept the same payment, paid 1800 ish in closing costs then got my escrow back amonth later so i didnt pay anyhting(got like 300 back).

you need to look up preachermanmatt's thread here about refinanceing, he works for a big broker company, there was a HUGE thread about it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The people who just bought my house got a 15 year at 1.99 for virtually zero points through an outfit called New American Funding.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm sure I don't want to re-finance with wells fargo. My main question is how to decide where to go for refinancing and all that?
View Quote

I did the Costco thing and dealt with Mutual of Omaha.  Got a 2.375 rate from them.  They immediately sold the loan to Wells Fargo.  I could care less that I'm now with Wells Fargo.  I don't have to deal with them, just pay the payment.  I actually set up automatic payments on WF's website.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It looks like I can save 1% by refinancing to a 15 year which seems to be the benchmark for worth it or not. Current rate is 3.75% and I got a mailer from wells fargo quoting 2.66%. monthly payment would go from about $1500 or about $900.

I like Dave Ramsey(I know, a controversial point here) and he lists Churchill Mortgage on his website. Anyone go that route?

Is it as easy as filling out the online info, and e signing some documents?
View Quote
How many years do you have left on your existing mortgage? I don't see how 1% less can take your payment from 1500 to 900??? If you are refinancing a 20 or 30 year loan to a 15 year loan then your monthly payment will go up not down....I don't understand your sentence.
Also if you are self employed there can be a shit ton of hoops you have to jump through....I had too...
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]
what you have to be careful of is the actual cost of the mortgage.

They tell you it doesn't cost you anything, only to roll the money into your new mortgage.
in reality the "prices" vary wildly.
you have to ask for nothing rolled into the loan and what am I paying you.
or you get the well it is only 400 out of pocket but they don't mention the point you are buying and rolling into the loan, costing you 10k to refi.

I actually filled out most of the paperwork for 3 different places till I got to the total loan amount and found out they were rolling in anywhere from 3k to 10k into the loan to pay themselves.

finally went with a company that finds you a place and lists it all up front.
own up.
https://www.ownup.com/

They gave me a list of places with total costs for each loan.
filled out a lot of stuff online, but they had to send someone for sigs and the "official" paperwork.
might be a texas thing I don't know.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#8]
PM PreachermanMATT, he's a mortgage broker who shops around to find you the best mortgage deal.  He did my refi a year or two ago, did a magnificent job.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#9]
How long have you had your current mortgage?

The bulk of the interest is paid in earlier years. You may not be saving anything, so be fire to run the calculator.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
what you have to be careful of is the actual cost of the mortgage.

They tell you it doesn't cost you anything, only to roll the money into your new mortgage.
in reality the "prices" vary wildly.
you have to ask for nothing rolled into the loan and what am I paying you.
or you get the well it is only 400 out of pocket but they don't mention the point you are buying and rolling into the loan, costing you 10k to refi.

I actually filled out most of the paperwork for 3 different places till I got to the total loan amount and found out they were rolling in anywhere from 3k to 10k into the loan to pay themselves.

finally went with a company that finds you a place and lists it all up front.
own up.
https://www.ownup.com/

They gave me a list of places with total costs for each loan.
filled out a lot of stuff online, but they had to send someone for sigs and the "official" paperwork.
might be a texas thing I don't know.
View Quote

This. Thank you! The actual cost has been the sticking point for me, but I mostly just resigned that I would have to go through the full process to figure out what the cost would be. Until doing more research, I had figured that the cost would completely offset any of the benefits of refinancing, but it's starting to look like it will make sense the more I look into it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't count out your local bank.

I have a friend in the title industry, he gets to see the closing docs on hundreds of mortgages every week. He told me the best rates he was seeing were coming from a local bank. I cold-called them and ended up refinancing last fall for 2.125%, no points, and very low closing costs (IIRC $750 total on a $300k+ mortgage). The best part is that the mortgage is written so that they must remain the servicer even if they sell the loan. That way I never have to deal with the likes of Wells Fargo, US Bank, etc.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Eh- Wells Fargo will probably just buy out your new mortgage anyhow.  Happened to me a time or two.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Eh- Wells Fargo will probably just buy out your new mortgage anyhow.  Happened to me a time or two.
View Quote

See post above yours. Doesn't matter a whole lot who buys it if the local bank still services it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

See post above yours. Doesn't matter a whole lot who buys it if the local bank still services it.
View Quote

Agreed. Wells fargo bought out the original mortgage almost immediately, but about a year ago I think they sold it off, but still service it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top