Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#1]
They should be the ONLY country jealously holding onto its weapons.

Eta: ah, looks like they're Hawks. Well we've tried sending those to Ukraine and they all fucking misfired because they were old and the chemicals/propellants whatever inside the ricket were no long correctly mixed from settling and such.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Headline and first para says OP subject line is incorrect.
It is US aid.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Headline and first para says OP subject line is incorrect.
It is US aid.

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — The U.S. will repurchase decommissioned missiles it sold to Taiwan and provide them to Ukraine as part of a military aid package, according to a local news outlet.

The China Times quoted an unnamed source on Friday (July 14) who said that the Phase III MIM-23 Hawk missiles, decommissioned in June, will be sold to the U.S.

Consultations with “high-level” national security officials last year reportedly led to an agreement between the two countries. It was decided that after the U.S. purchase, the missiles will be sent to the Ukrainian army to combat Russian drones and low-altitude aircraft.

lol nvm missread.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yeah good idea. Send those air defense, then Chicom attacks and force us to defend Taiwan
View Quote

They know they wouldn’t use them anyway.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They are optimistic that the favor will be returned at a later date..

View Quote

My first thought.

Seemingly counterintuitive, but shrewd.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Can’t we ban people from posting for a month when they post fake shit?
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

These are very old and no longer in use by Taiwan
View Quote

though if they were fighting the chinese I bet they would be in use.  China may have shiny new stuff but they also use a lot of older gear still in large numbers.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Taiwan purchased them from us years ago. We are buying them back….for cheap.

We also just made a 600+ million dollar sale to Taiwan in first half of this year for new missiles.

This is simple stuff and may have even happened without Ukraine going on.

“Buy our cheap, old stuff and we will sign a big new deal for new stuff.”

View Quote

The whole idea of an exchange of money for goods is too low for Ukraine. Just give it to them. I'm sure they'll pay us back. Positive.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Eta: ah, looks like they're Hawks. Well we've tried sending those to Ukraine and they all fucking misfired because they were old and the chemicals/propellants whatever inside the ricket were no long correctly mixed from settling and such.
View Quote

They were already retired.

They still work because they were just in service. The hawks from the USA were out of storage, hence the problems.

Disappointing
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They still work because they were just in service. The hawks from the USA were out of storage, hence the problems.

Disappointing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disappointing

Yeah, we're supposed to be the ones that invest lots of $ in carefully storing these things so they'll still work decades later. Very disappointing ours didn't work. Hopefully Taiwans are GTG.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, we're supposed to be the ones that invest lots of $ in carefully storing these things so they'll still work decades later. Very disappointing ours didn't work. Hopefully Taiwans are GTG.
View Quote

These were retired I think in the early 2000s or late 90s so sitting without use or inspection for a while means they became unserviceable.

If they were still being used I bet they would be fine.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Jesus.

Does this Ukrainian PAO mission finally count as a deployment for OP?
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Jesus.

View Quote

Damn.

That was like watching a car hit a dog.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Jesus.

View Quote

Beats me, you know someone?

I’m not even the top Ukraine poster. Not even close.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Jesus.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Hawk isn’t going to be very relevant for Taiwan, China is a more capable enemy by far than Russia and would reduce fixed Hawk sites with missiles immediately. At least Patriot has much more ability to defend itself.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Makes sense to use them in Ukraine rather than demil/destroy them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Makes sense to use them in Ukraine rather than demil/destroy them.
View Quote

This.  

Much better to fire them at the Russians (why we built them in the first place) then to spend money to scrap them.

Would be sweet if the HAWK (first deployed in the very early 1960's) went out in 2024 with some fixed & rotary wing Kills.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Damn.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus.

Damn.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/15/2023 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah good idea. Send those air defense, then Chicom attacks and force us to defend Taiwan
View Quote

Strange. I would expect news of weapons, even just ones recently retired from service ones, moving from Taiwan to Ukraine would calm the OMG China panic.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They don’t deal with corrupt buyers, sorry
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd buy a Hawk battery.  Where can I bid?  

The big Ukraine thread.........?

They don’t deal with corrupt buyers, sorry

If I am corrupt, you're a liar.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Mim23?  My Grabdfather worked on the origionals in the damn 50’s i don’t think they’ve been upgraded since Reagan
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#22]
It’s almost to the point of cheering for Russia just so whatever shenanigans and/or corruption that or gov is involved in in Ukraine gets exposed.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It’s almost to the point of cheering for Russia just so whatever shenanigans and/or corruption that or gov is involved in in Ukraine gets exposed.
View Quote

I've been told Putin has the info and will release it to crush the Ukraine support bloc.

15 months in and still no info. Sounds like Putin has no info, just a bad deck as usual.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#26]
>>>Snort<<<
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Jesus.

View Quote

Mods,

I’d like to report a murder.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Ukraine isn’t winning.  I think at best it’ll result in a stalemate, with eastern Ukraine occupied.  There is no need to back a loser at this point.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This. Title changed.
View Quote
If that's the precedent now editing misleading titles in GD, you're gonna be busy lol
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#31]
So what did he put in the original title?
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So what did he put in the original title?
View Quote

That Taiwan was sending missiles to Ukraine
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#33]
To all y’all clutching your pearls about this missile transfer: do you understand why all the pictures on Google of the Hawk missile system are in BLACK AND WHITE? The US deployed these things to Key West during the Cuban missile crisis. Yes, that missile crisis. Yes, they’ve had updates, but they’re OLD
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Rated troll...
View Quote

Another Uke Bro thread by their leader.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Fadedsun post lol

UKRAINE BRO, ORCS BRO!
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
To all y’all clutching your pearls about this missile transfer: do you understand why all the pictures on Google of the Hawk missile system are in BLACK AND WHITE? The US deployed these things to Key West during the Cuban missile crisis. Yes, that missile crisis. Yes, they’ve had updates, but they’re OLD
View Quote

They were old when Reagan gave them to Islamic terrorists in exchange for hostages. In fact I've been told on this very forum that it was no big deal that Reagan did it because of how old and useless the missiles were...in the 1980s
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Mods,

I'd like to report a murder.
View Quote

It's not a murder when they do it to themselves.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That Taiwan was sending missiles to Ukraine
View Quote

Thanks. Not a surprise, OP is not an honest broker.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Uke boys assemble for glory gole!
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
This seems like a bad idea

I wonder if we gave them to Taiwan via some aid, now we’re buying them back. If so nothing like buying something twice. I’ll go ahead and say this I for one am really tired of the endless “aid” to Ukraine, not our problem as I see it and Europe really needs to step up. We have vets in this country needing so much and for their service we should be spending money on them. We also have messes we’ve left in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam that need to be cleaned up, but hey let’s send billions to Ukraine, millions and billions to countries who hate us in the ME. Our priorities are so fucked up now it’s insane.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I get the spirit of the action, and dear God the whole event is pure evil - awful, gut wrenching suffering almost beyond modern day comprehension. But countless souls are slaughtered in Africa and the Middle East every day, and little to no one gives any thought or print space to that.

This is not even remotely worth considering Nuclear armageddon over. And if God forbid that ever happened, this would be repeated throughout history moving forward, at least by any still around. But after it's too late.

And for the "tis but a small tactical nuke, we'll be fine and survive" bros, please for the love of God read Annie Jacobsen's book "THE PENTAGON'S BRAIN" where she writes at length about Castle Bravo at Bikini Atoll. All it will take is one modern detonation to ruin it all. Think Covid turned the globe upside down? This would really be it, it's all over, put a fork in it, turn out the lights.

I love this place and its souls, but it sometimes breaks my heart that, IMO sadly, many miserable, intensely angry souls here seem incurably bitter or kinda tired of life and want nothing more passionately that nuclear armageddon. I just can't understand that, as I wonder why they don't just exit themselves without continuing to cheer on the end of all humanity.

View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Typical Democrat policy of bumping the needs of a long traditional ally in favor of something else.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They were old when Reagan gave them to Islamic terrorists in exchange for hostages. In fact I've been told on this very forum that it was no big deal that Reagan did it because of how old and useless the missiles were...in the 1980s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like the F-15 as a current example, the original F-15 is nothing like the current one.

The system was upgraded by the US and many of the other countries until it was retired.   I agree it's very long in the tooth now, but by the late 90's they were intercepting short range ballistic missiles with it.

"The HAWK missile and warhead were modified to allow the HAWK to better engage enemy ballistic missiles. Specifically, the upgrade improved the HAWK's missile fuse and warhead which resulted in an "improved lethality missile." Additionally, improvements to the launcher made the HAWK more mobile and better able to interface with the missiles.

These new HAWK systems underwent extensive testing. In August of 1996, a single Marine Corps battery equipped with upgraded HAWK systems intercepted and destroyed a LANCE short range theater ballistic missile and two air breathing drones simultaneously in an operational test at White Sands Missile Range, NM. When fielded, the upgraded TPS-59 radars and ADCPs will belong to the Marine Air Control Squadrons, part of the Marine Air Wings."

The above is from the link below-

https://www.globalsecurity.org/space/systems/hawk.htm
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#44]
I heard smart people say that China is too heavily dependent upon Taiwanese semiconductors to invade. They receive something like 80% of their semis from their neighbor. To invade would be too disruptive to their own economy. It’s not happening.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#45]
I see poodings flathead brigade is out in full force. Repurchasing could be just as well for one dollar, just like the Germans sold their Mig 29 for an Euro each to poland.

No reason to get sand in your manginas, girls. But proceed to be outraged. It makes you look like a bunch of easy to manipulate dumba..es.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please cite post that was clutching pearls.
If you can.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you can.
View Quote

Every post on page 1 saying these were important to Taiwan’s defense and they shouldn’t be getting rid of them. Clearly people didn’t read the article
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I heard smart people say that China is too heavily dependent upon Taiwanese semiconductors to invade. They receive something like 80% of their semis from their neighbor. To invade would be too disruptive to their own economy. It’s not happening.
View Quote

I have to say that Taiwan at least supplies the world with useful needed products that quite frankly are needed by manufacturers, where Ukraine is just a giant black hole sucking anything and everything into it with no benefit. Yes there is death and suffering going on but as said above same for Africa, Africa just isn’t a good enough of a wealth transfer. Biden allowed this to happen so he could kick his laundry services into high gear.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Every post on page 1 saying these were important to Taiwan’s defense and they shouldn’t be getting rid of them. Clearly people didn’t read the article
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can.

That is not a citation.
Please quote pearl clutching.

Edit:  I do agree OP didn't read article, or he was corrupt in his detailing of it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Just like the F-15 as a current example, the original F-15 is nothing like the current one.

The system was upgraded by the US and many of the other countries until it was retired.   I agree it's very long in the tooth now, but by the late 90's they were intercepting short range ballistic missiles with it.

"The HAWK missile and warhead were modified to allow the HAWK to better engage enemy ballistic missiles. Specifically, the upgrade improved the HAWK's missile fuse and warhead which resulted in an "improved lethality missile." Additionally, improvements to the launcher made the HAWK more mobile and better able to interface with the missiles.

These new HAWK systems underwent extensive testing. In August of 1996, a single Marine Corps battery equipped with upgraded HAWK systems intercepted and destroyed a LANCE short range theater ballistic missile and two air breathing drones simultaneously in an operational test at White Sands Missile Range, NM. When fielded, the upgraded TPS-59 radars and ADCPs will belong to the Marine Air Control Squadrons, part of the Marine Air Wings."

The above is from the link below-

https://www.globalsecurity.org/space/systems/hawk.htm
View Quote

Damn you are making me feel old. The "new" upgrades in 1996 are 27 years old.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top