Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2020 12:00:55 PM EDT
I caught the end of it on TV the other day, so I had to get out my copy of it and watch the whole thing.  For George's first film, 5 years before A New Hope it has held up very well.  The nixie tubes look a little dated by now.  Of course, Robert Duvall nails his performance, as does Donald Pleasance!
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Funny I listened to Nine Inch Nails - Mr. Self Destruct before I saw the movie.  Then realized the movie excerpts in the song.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Ever notice some of the best known directors' better known works were done on a shoestring budget?

I'd like to see what somebody such as George Lucas, James Cameron, or Steven Spielberg could do with a limited budget and limited production technology?  I get the impression that sfx that are too busy draw away from the story telling.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Great movie & dystopian story. And sadly a very underrated movie.

I'm assuming it's also fallen deep into Obscurity to masses of today.

I'll add Logan's Run to the list.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the special edition on Laser Disc. What a great movie.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#5]
My first time ever watching it was the revamped version with slightly better effects.  The plant accident where the rod melts through was cool.  Overall, a cool sci if movie, better than expected.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Now that's a name I haven't heard in a very long time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Dystopian Future, BUT you get to rip around in a AutoJet Samos 3 - Turbine powered Lolas ...

Tough Choice ...

What the Hell - I'm IN!

THX 1138 (9/10) Movie CLIP - Autojet Chase (1971) HD

BIGGER_HAMMER

Edited - Notice that in the Future - speed is STILL measured in MILES per Hour ...   'Merica!!!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:58:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Up there with Zardoz in the realm of greatly under rated Sci Fi films.  Duval is extraordinary.  The whole film has the pacing of being on the mind numbing medication, until it suddenly doesn't.  I remember as a kid being fascinated with the idea of the state exceeding budgetary restraints in their pursuit of THX.  Great film.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh...my bad.  Thought this was an American Graffiti thread...

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Good movie, maybe even peak Lucas. I still wonder about the back story of that world.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh...my bad.  Thought this was an American Graffiti thread...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166803/2C9A0B17-8AA1-4AAB-81EC-B2E406C71F09-1814523.jpg
View Quote

All his movies have references in the dialogue to the movie title.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 4:23:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Great movie. Great performances by all. Also purchased it. Surprised an attempt at doing a remake/ before/ after movie hasn’t happened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top