Quoted:
Zelda BOTW

ZELDA TOTK

Mariokart

Hogwarts Legacy

Assassins Creed series
View Quote

Mario Wonder
Metroid Prime Remake (if you’ve never played it on GC you should, it’s one of best Nintendo exclusive games ever made)
Donkey Country Tropical Freeze

There aren’t that many games that you need to play but, I only bought the GC for RE4, and Metroid Prime and Metroid Echoes and it was worth it.

Zelda is worth the system alone
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Metroid Prime Remake (if you’ve never played it on GC you should, it’s one of best Nintendo exclusive games ever made)

View Quote

I played it on the CG and was amazed how good it was. If I ever get a switch, the remake would be the first game I buy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:42:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know the Zelda games go without saying but I'm a little hesitant on them, last Zelda I played from bell to bell was Ocarina of Time, and I prefer the old school top down games like Link to the Past.  But they're universally loved so I guess I'll get to Breath of the Wild eventually.
View Quote

Breath of the Wild is on my personal "best games of all time" list. Not that that means anything, but I recommend trying it.

The sequel is hit or miss, IMO. It is a phenomenal game, but not different enough to distinguish it from BotW; I got bored and quit about halfway through.

There are so many other great games besides the major 1st party Nintendo titles, that I hesitate to ramble off a list because it depends so much on what kind of games you would be interested in, and if you're looking for couch or portable play.

There are a number of Metroidvanias that are better than the games that gave the genre its name.

Lots of classic JRPGs.

Besides the games that others listed, I would recommend Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge, it's a great classic arcade-style beat 'em up brawler that supports up to six players. I enjoyed it alone, but it has been a big hit when my nephews visit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#6]
bioshock series
dark souls
witcher 3
arkham series
i have diablo 3 on switch too
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
bioshock series
dark souls
witcher 3
arkham series
i have diablo 3 on switch too
View Quote

All those are better on PC.

The Switch games to get are games you can’t play anywhere else IMO
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I enjoyed breath of the wild until you had to start crafting shit, that killed it for me because you had to manually select the ingredients and there was no recipe book or whatever to just automatically do it. Total downer
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Mario RPG.

I love Dying Light but it has performance issues on the switch. The resolution is so low aiming down gun sights is a problem.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Of course games on the pc will always be better. That said I enjoyed the doom games quite a bit. Metroid dread was pretty good, prefer prime myself. I’m not a big fan of the current Zelda format, I wish they’d do some remasters of the older Zelda’s, GameCube Zelda was probably my favorite. Like you I lean mostly toward the retro stuff. I’ve had fun playing the quake 2 remaster, but it definitely shows it’s age. Ninja turtles game is pretty fun and brings back a lot of memories from the arcade.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#12]
If you like anime RPGs astral chain was pretty good I thought. Fire emblem 3 houses is good.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Pokemon Legends Arceus

I bought this for my 6 year old daughter and I ended up playing more than she does. It really gets you hooked! So many pokemon, so little time, gotta catch them all!
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#14]
For "retro" do you mean actual classics or newer stuff with retro designs?

A good place to start is the Sega Genesis bundle. Check out the product page and it also lists a lot of comparable classics.

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/sega-genesis-classics-switch/
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Monster Hunter Rise.

Give it a good look. I'm surprised no one here plays it
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:35:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I understand it works well, but the weapon durability thing in those games worries me, I don't think that's my bag.  I play Legend of Zelda games to explore dungeons, find loot, and beat the shit out of Ganon.  I don't really want to have to manage my weapons/inventory in that kind of game beyond selecting the appropriate item for whatever the situation is I'm facing.

I expect to have to repair my weapons in a Fallout game, not in Legend of Zelda.  I'm also a bit of a traditionalist in my Zelda games, I like the NES/SNES old school top down perspective, like in Legend of Zelda and a Link to the Past.

Anyways, I asked some of my friends who are Switch users and Hollow Knight was highly recommended, and it's $15.  I love me some Metroidvania.  Anyways, I started playing when I got home around 6PM this evening and just now realized it's like 10PM.  It's pretty good.  I played the Metroid Prime remake a little at work before I left for the day and it is fantastic btw, it looks great on the Switch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I enjoyed breath of the wild until you had to start crafting shit, that killed it for me because you had to manually select the ingredients and there was no recipe book or whatever to just automatically do it. Total downer
I understand it works well, but the weapon durability thing in those games worries me, I don't think that's my bag.  I play Legend of Zelda games to explore dungeons, find loot, and beat the shit out of Ganon.  I don't really want to have to manage my weapons/inventory in that kind of game beyond selecting the appropriate item for whatever the situation is I'm facing.

I expect to have to repair my weapons in a Fallout game, not in Legend of Zelda.  I'm also a bit of a traditionalist in my Zelda games, I like the NES/SNES old school top down perspective, like in Legend of Zelda and a Link to the Past.

Anyways, I asked some of my friends who are Switch users and Hollow Knight was highly recommended, and it's $15.  I love me some Metroidvania.  Anyways, I started playing when I got home around 6PM this evening and just now realized it's like 10PM.  It's pretty good.  I played the Metroid Prime remake a little at work before I left for the day and it is fantastic btw, it looks great on the Switch.

The weapon durability is my big problem with Breath of the Wild - and it's worse in Tears of the Kingdom, which is among the reasons I quit halfway through.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:53:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The weapon durability is my big problem with Breath of the Wild - and it's worse in Tears of the Kingdom, which is among the reasons I quit halfway through.
View Quote

Weapon durability in an adventure game is one of the worst design choices.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#19]
If you get TMNT Shredder's Revenge be sure to pick up the Anniversary Edition so you get all the DLC with it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#20]
OG Red Dead Redemption got released on Switch, if ya haven’t played it before I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Our family's collection:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I really enjoy having Diablo 3 on Switch to just turn it on and burn through some dungeons and turn it back off.

But my Switch is almost exclusively for travel.

Dying Light was a blast. I wasn't familiar with the game but was really surprised.

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#25]
My son and I are playing Mario Wonder and it has been a great game so far. They put a lot into this one and I feel like it really relates to SMB 1 and 3 well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My son and I are playing Mario Wonder and it has been a great game so far. They put a lot into this one and I feel like it really relates to SMB 1 and 3 well.
View Quote

Super fun. The pre-order Mario Wonder Elephant trading card was being sold for a thousand bucks. Now it's about $800

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mario+wonder+elephant+card&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Super fun. The pre-order Mario Wonder Elephant trading card was being sold for a thousand bucks. Now it's about $800

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mario+wonder+elephant+card&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm always amazed by what ends up being worth a lot of money.

I spent time 15-20 years ago buying limited things like collector editions/getting preorder bonuses/etc. hoping to be able to make some money, but I never really made enough to make it worthwhile. I have a closet full of "collectibles" that are worth $20-50, which is basically my cost (or less, in some cases).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top