BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2021 9:34:02 PM EDT
Tried searching but, no luck.

Thoughts on the Suunto Core?
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:22:32 AM EDT
[#1]
By far, the Core is the best overall digital watch I've ever owned.  I currently have a few of them. The modules are the same among the various case offerings and are easily swapped. My favorite is the brushed stainless with sapphire crystal. Their negative displays are too hard for me to see in normal light, so I swapped them out with positive ones.

The time display is nice and big, but the other numbers are pretty small. The alarm is virtually useless, but the ABC functions are very accurate. The watch bands are pretty durable and replacements are still out there.

Let me know if you have any concerns I didn't address.

ETA: forgot to mention battery life - they have lasted b/t 6 and 12 months with moderate use.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#2]
SoCalJBT,

Thanks for the input. As to batteries, do you change them out yourself?  Any issues with water resistance after a battery change?
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had trouble with two of them with the buttons sticking. One mine and the other belonging to my son. Both were sent backed and repaired. Buttons on my son's started sticking again on deployment. Mine did also. I think he sent his back a second time. For mine I looked up a DIY repair. As far as I know it still works but it's sitting in a drawer somewhere.

I like the Suunto but the button sticking issue sealed the deal for me. I purchased a used like new Garmin Fenix 3 sapphire a while back and it has been great. I'd suggest a used Garmin before a new Suunto.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I like mine but its kinda big. Gets in the way when two handing a pistol with the watch face facing inwards
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I change the batteries myself. You can use a coin or the Suunto tool that looks like a coin on one side and has prongs on the other side for different battery compartments. The first few times I changed batteries, I got replacement o-rings. I quit doing that and just clean the battery compartment and the hatch, plus I take the o-ring off and use a greasing pad to lube it up every time. Never had any water intrusion issues, even after swimming and showering.

As to the sticky buttons, I've heard the complaints before but never had any of mine do it.

There are far better digital watches out there with more updated features (GPS, bluetooth integration, email, music, etc.), but invariably they are ones that need charging. I much prefer an ABC watch that uses replaceable batteries that last much longer. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one and currently wear it at work. The all black design is low-key and the big display is a plus. Now the shortcomings:

The backlight needs to be much brighter. It barely lights up.
Sticky buttons are a major problem. Currently my "menu" button is stuck most of the way in as is the button right below it.
The "Storm Warning" feature is sketchy at best. It's gone off many times when it's a clear blue sky day. Even if the barometer is correct.  

My personal opinion is that for a sport watch priced at well over $100, it should not have an issue with the buttons sticking. But if you can pick one up used for $60-$75 either here or Ebay, it's a decent watch.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I should probably have added, this will be a secondary to my Seiko SKX007.  I'm wearing a Casio Pro Trek right now while the Seiko is being rebuilt & modded but, I've always hated it (Pro Trek) and just really want something different.   I acknowledge the Suunto may be a bit of a roll of the dice but, over all the vast majority of reviews are positive and Amazon has the all black for $114. I'll take my chances.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I should probably have added, this will be a secondary to my Seiko SKX007.  I'm wearing a Casio Pro Trek right now while the Seiko is being rebuilt & modded but, I've always hated it (Pro Trek) and just really want something different.   I acknowledge the Suunto may be a bit of a roll of the dice but, over all the vast majority of reviews are positive and Amazon has the all black for $114. I'll take my chances.
View Quote

I think at that price point it’s worth a shot.
I do like the fact that the battery is easily changed as opposed to plugging the garmin in every couple of days.
Like you I usually wear a Seiko. I have an old 7002 and a SRP639.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Wore one for several years.  As others have said, battery life sucks and the buttons stick.  I just used hot water submerging it with a toothbrush and the buttons started working again. Went with a Garmin Fenix 5x and have not looked back.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

If you don't mind the negative display, go for it. I think you'll be happy with a Core.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Good watch but big
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Which one did you end up with, @19Gimletz?  Are you happy with it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve had one for several years.  Been through a couple batteries.  I use it for saltwater and lake play.  I did the nato strap adapter things from Etsy as soon as I got it.  Looks great on OD nato.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve had a core for probably over almost 8 years now. It’s one of my favorite outdoor watches. I swap the batteries once every 2 years or so. Great watch.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the Suunto 5 , All Black, I've had the CORE and hated it. I've had the 5 since Late May and I've beat it to death and love it. It's helped me lose 52 lbs as my primary fitness tracker since then. My only knock on the Suuntos in general is the straps
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top