Posted: 1/30/2023 2:34:15 PM EDT
It's just a minute long

(... unless it hits the sun)

Link Posted: 1/30/2023 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#1]
That is neat
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) 00:00 29 UTC, Jan, 2023, Projected towards Earth in 36 +/- 6 hours 4K

Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) 00:00 29 UTC, Jan, 2023, Projected towards Earth in 36 +/- 6 hours 4K
https://spaceweather.com/

A LARGE COMET IS STREAKING TOWARD THE SUN (UPDATED): Comet 96P/Machholz is streaking toward the sun for a close encounter inside the orbit of Mercury. Coronagraphs onboard the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) are monitoring its approach:

This is no ordinary comet flyby. Most comets that fall toward the sun are small (~10 meters) and rapidly evaporate; SOHO has seen thousands of these doomed sungrazers. Comet 96P is different. Measuring 6 kilometers across, it is big enough to survive close proximity to the sun. Perihelion (closest approach to the sun) on Jan. 31st is only 0.12 AU away.

Some researchers think 96P might be an Alien. Chemically, it is unlike other comets in the Solar System, lacking normal amounts of carbon and cyanogen. It also has a strangely-tilted orbit that takes it very close to the sun. Two orbits ago, unexpected fragments appeared ahead of the comet; researchers aren't sure how they were produced.

"96P is a very atypical comet, both in composition and in behavior, so we never know exactly what we might see," says Karl Battams of the Naval Research Lab in Washington DC. "Accordingly, we’re running a special observing program with SOHO to maximize the science return, so the normal flow of public coronagraph data will be slowed for a few days (to six images/hour). Hopefully we can get some beautiful science out of this and share with everyone as soon as we can."
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#5]
So what exactly does he mean by saying "be safe everyone" at the end?
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#7]
nice
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]
It's pretty cool seeing the tail curve like that!

One comment he made jumped out at me... He mentioned the CMEs increase when there's a comet. What would cause the sun to flare up before the comet is even close to it?

Does the sun know that it's coming, and is actively trying to fend it off?
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, does this mean we'll go back to the 1800s again?

That would be the result of a CME hitting Earth directly.   Hope it doesn't do that, we'd have to go back to manual typewriters and that would just be a bit too much change, especially for the newer generations.

View Quote

Lack of smartphones would drive the younger generations insane almost immediately!
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lack of smartphones would drive the younger generations insane almost immediately!
View Quote

Shoot, I'd pay to see that happen
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So, does this mean we'll go back to the 1800s again?

That would be the result of a CME hitting Earth directly.   Hope it doesn't do that, we'd have to go back to manual typewriters and that would just be a bit too much change, especially for the newer generations.

View Quote

95% of food production would drop within 30 days.

Know how people act when food is scarce?

Link Posted: 1/30/2023 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Where there is such uncertainty in trajectory, there exists the possibility that the comet gets flung directly at Earth. Luckily that chance is very small because the impact a comet that size is only a little bit smaller than the rock that took out the dinos.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Images are sweet. Nice job OP
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Where there is such uncertainty in trajectory, there exists the possibility that the comet gets flung directly at Earth. Luckily that chance is very small because the impact a comet that size is only a little bit smaller than the rock that took out the dinos.
View Quote

Learn to swim.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So what exactly does he mean by saying "be safe everyone" at the end?
View Quote

Kinda his version of "Take care" ...he finishes each video with it.

.....or its some alien race's code phrased 'GO' signal to our planet's sleeper agents to begin harvesting human kidneys and dolphin testicles
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Neat
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Images are sweet. Nice job OP
View Quote

They were cool AF , but I just re-posted them
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Learn to swim.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn to swim.

We'd have maybe a month's notice. Might be able to lob some nukes at it.

I wouldn't need to worry about swimming. I'd even get vaporized, buried in ash, or eventually starve.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I wouldn't need to worry about swimming. I'd even get vaporized, buried in ash, or eventually starve.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn to swim.

Not a Tool fan, I take it?

Some say a comet will fall from the sky,
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.

Seemed fitting for the topic at hand.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun....

View Quote

nice

or...

This is the strangest life I've ever known
Can't you feel it
Now that Spring has come
That it's time to live in the scattered sun?

Waiting for the Sun - The Doors

Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I got me some pitchers of the sun…

Eclipse 600mm Full Sequence_ by FredMan, on Flickr

Sun Spots 20170904 Detail by FredMan, on Flickr

5-Minute by FredMan, on Flickr

And I got me some pitchers of comets…

Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) 2020-07-17 by FredMan, on Flickr

Comet C/2021 A1 Leonard by FredMan, on Flickr

Comet C-2022 E3 by FredMan, on Flickr

But I ain’t got no pitchers the the sun AND comets.  That’s just CRAZY talk.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm sure you'll be getting more photos of them at the same time, if you're still you and it's actually something visible from Earth if we know estimated times of impact.

View Quote

Unlikely. To shoot the sun I have to use a solar filter, which transmits something like 0.0015% incident light.  With that filter my EXIF is 1/160 sec, f/8, ISO 250.

To shoot a comet I used 2 sec exposure, f/8, ISO 5000

The comet pictures need about 4.2 MILLION times as much light as the sun pictures.  And my cameras don’t have that kind of dynamic range.

Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:30:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Did it hit or come out the other side?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:33:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Sure that is not the Enterprise jumping forward in time?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:48:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quick 2:33 long update for this morning
Sun Erupts Big at the Comet | S0 News Feb.1.2023
Sun Erupts Big at the Comet | S0 News Feb.1.2023
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Can't you lojack a SOHO satellite or something?

View Quote

Where’s the fun in that?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I dunno, maybe the challenge.   Was just wondering, could you get a cheap lens and put a black disk over the center to only get the corona the way the SOHO does?   Though i suppose that's a blacked out area of sensor to block all frying rays in the event sun bounces back and forth in lens elements and flares to edges producing hots pots on sensor.   Is that something you could try wit the solar film on to see if you can get part of a crooona or is the atmosphere simply too intense and the corona is only visible during eclipses and from space?

View Quote

Yeah, it’s not really practical for terrestrial based imaging.  This is what you get.

Sun 20170909 Filtered by FredMan, on Flickr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top