Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2022 10:13:56 PM EDT
My brother will soon be retiring from the Air Force soon and I am looking for some suggestions for a few bottles.

What I want to get him is three bottles. #1 will be considered very good, #2 will be exceptional and #3 will
be a special bottle.

What I would like to hear from everyone are some ideas that are not the usual suspects. (i.e., Pappy, BTAC, etc.)
Not sure if he likes Bourbon, Scotch or Irish whiskey, so have at it. The only rules are that they shouldn't be super rare
or expensive, or almost impossible to find.

Thank You in advance for any and all suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You cant go wrong with mccallen 18.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
What is your all in budget?

And would 100% ASK what his preference is as no point in spending money on things you think he may like when in fact he hates it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is your all in budget?

And would 100% ASK what his preference is as no point in spending money on things you think he may like when in fact he hates it.
View Quote

I've given him a few bottles, namely Buffalo Trace, The Sexton and Aberfeldy 12 yr. Just waiting on a response from him.
As far as budget goes, it depends. I would like to keep the price down, but it is for family. If spending another hundred or so can get a much
better bottle, I'll do it. (Or even a couple hundred more) For the special bottle I could just get him a bottle of William LaRue Weller (Or it's equivalent in Scotch or Irish Whiskey)
but I like to be a bit different. It also shows that I took the time to look further than the usual suspects. (At least I think so and I would like to tailor the choice to his tastes)
Plus I'm not sure I want to get into the game of hunting/getting a Pappy. If it is really worth it and I have the money, no problem.
I'm just not convinced of it yet so I am looking for some options. And he may like the Irish whiskey best, no way to tell.
Just trying to keep it from getting super expensive.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 4:01:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know what the availability and prices are in your area.  Some thoughts: Jack Daniels No. 27.  Way better than regular Jack.  About $100 in my area.  The Wild Turkey Rare Breeds are pretty good for the money.  High proof in case someone doesn't want that.  Might want to consider a Whistle Pig.  Lots of people really like the 6 year and not terribly expensive.  I would look at a sipping tequila.  There are guys here that could give you the run down on some reasonably priced and available options.

Also, please thank your brother for the time in the Air Force.  I would donate a better bottle to this cause if you were close to North central Iowa.  Let me know if interested.  Not interested in shipping.  Please understand that I don't visit this site every day so if I don't response, please be patience.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These days nearly all bourbons (and tequilas) are under immense demand pressure and very hard to find.

IOW you aren't going to be able to find anything like Blanton's or EH Taylor at nearly any price.

Scotches haven't been under as much pressure so finding the main brands is much easier but, due to import tariffs, their price has gone up.
View Quote

I’ve never seen Blanton’s at any of our local liquor stores - then just yesterday I was at a popular large grocer and the were (3) bottles of it ($55/ea) and a bottle of Elijah Craig 18-year-old ($130). I bought one of the Blanton’s to see what the hype is all about. I guess you just never know what you’ll find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top