Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2018 11:51:31 PM EDT
Got the itch for another watch and am intrigued by an American crafted watch, the Ginault Ocean-Rover.

A newer brand and a very nice looking watch, considering the lineage of the original Submariner. This one is based on the Eta 2824 movement. It gets very favorable reviews on fit, finish and function.

Does anyone own one? I really, really want to pull the trigger but an hesitant. I sold my Omega Seamaster 2054.50 to a member on here a few years back and of course they have gone up in price.

The Ocean-Rover can be bought new for a touch under $1k with discounts applied.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I’d buy a squale, steinhart, or Tudor before the Ginault.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Reasons?  The Tudor Pelagos is almost 4x as much than any of them so I'm not considering it.  Have you owned a Squale or Steinhart?  They are less expensive but also use a 2824 mvt.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Swiss vs. Chinese.

It costs a lot to manufacture movements and only a few in the US do.

Ymmv.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
In that price range I’d rather go with the Seiko SBDC061. A lot of people like Steinharts for a Submariner homage but I was never more disappointed in a watch than I was with the Steinhart Ocean One that I bought. I’d take a good Seiko diver over another Steinhart any day. I don’t know much about the Ocean Rover but I’d still rather have the Seiko.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#5]
You could find a tudor black bay for low 2000s if you check around on watchrecon.com

Similar style but would likely hold its value if you decide to sell it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.  Or an Oris 65 or Aquis. The 65 is very nice for like $1200 or so.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want a sub without the piece tag the squale 1545 maxi is the best bang for your buck.

I’ve had a few and they are great watches. Easily on my Best Buy sub 1k.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Ginault designed and now makes their own movement, right?  Even if it’s a copy of the 2824, this might cause me some concern until theyve worked any flaws out. But I’d buy one before I’d drop that much more $ on a Sub.

Guy / JustBlueFish on YouTube did an in-depth review and he is very thorough and picks every little detail to death - in a good way. He gave it very high marks as I recall.

Does Steinhart have a US repair / warranty presence?  If not I would personally avoid them.

Heck, I’d go for the GOR today if I had the need based on Guy’s review.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 2:22:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Ahhh, the same old story. Waste money on a bunch of watches only to buy the real thing years later. We've all done it. Have fun because you won't listen, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 3:03:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ahhh, the same old story. Waste money on a bunch of watches only to buy the real thing years later. We've all done it. Have fun because you won't listen, anyway.
View Quote
Nope, as much as I would like a Submariner I would never be able to justify dropping  $8k on any watch.

I've heard the whole Chinese claims on the Ginault but nothing tangible that I can quote. And their movement is as good as a Swiss certified chronometer. 2824 is a workhorse, nothing fancy or exotic but it is tough and accurate.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 3:06:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In that price range I’d rather go with the Seiko SBDC061. A lot of people like Steinharts for a Submariner homage but I was never more disappointed in a watch than I was with the Steinhart Ocean One that I bought. I’d take a good Seiko diver over another Steinhart any day. I don’t know much about the Ocean Rover but I’d still rather have the Seiko.
View Quote
I was looking at Seiko watches and this put me down this path I'm on. I don't care too much for the egg shape on the case, nor the exposed crown.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#13]
if you want a Sub get a Sub.

If you want an awesome dive watch with its own history and look,
Look at various other offerings from Seiko, Omega, Sinn, Fortis, etc.

True watch fans and lovers are always glancing at other people’s wrists.

Few things make me moan internally more than the Invicta or any thing else that looks exactly like a Sub but is not.  (With an exception for a Tudor)
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#14]
My vote goes to Squale. I had a 1545 Maxi for a while. Great looking watch and hands down, THE best bracelet on any watch I've ever owned. About the only watch I regret selling.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Few things make me moan internally more than the Invicta or any thing else that looks exactly like a Sub but is not.  (With an exception for a Tudor)
View Quote
I agree 100%. I have a Submariner now but before I got it I had a Steinhart Ocean One and every time I wore it I couldn’t help but feel like a pretender. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with wearing a homage watch but for me, personally, it just felt sort of poser-ish, I guess. That being said, I’d much rather see someone wear a homage than a counterfeit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My vote goes to Squale. I had a 1545 Maxi for a while. Great looking watch and hands down, THE best bracelet on any watch I've ever owned. About the only watch I regret selling.
View Quote
The original or MKI variant is true-er to size than the new MKII models that Gnomon and others have.

It was my "test" the waters piece for wanting a Sub. Should of used the $500 towards the sub.

However - the squale in its own right is a great piece.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought a super clean used GMT S/G in 1980 for $850.  It has appreciated considerably.  None of the other watches do.  Rolex is the standard.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the input. I just placed an order for the Squale. Price wise it seems to be the best bargain imho. The Ginault didn't offer much more for twice the price. I'll post up pics when it gets here.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input. I just placed an order for the Squale. Price wise it seems to be the best bargain imho. The Ginault didn't offer much more for twice the price. I'll post up pics when it gets here.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad you bought the Squale.

Ginault makes a nice watch. but they were originally a replica watch manufacture. And what I gather one of the best. I wouldn't give any money to a replica company. They also claim to have a US made movement, it is not. It is a chinese replica. Good luck getting it serviced or worked on by anyone else besides them. They also love to make b.s. claims.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which model? About once a week I have to slap my hand to stop myself from ordering a 20 ATMOS BlueRay.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 1:35:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Glad you bought the Squale.

Ginault makes a nice watch. but they were originally a replica watch manufacture. And what I gather one of the best. I wouldn't give any money to a replica company. They also claim to have a US made movement, it is not. It is a chinese replica. Good luck getting it serviced or worked on by anyone else besides them. They also love to make b.s. claims.
View Quote
There is a 22 page thread on watchuseek about this matter. There are only a few parts from their watch that are not available domestically...hair spring, main spring, synthetic jewels, sapphire crystals and shock absorber. Here is a great article...Controversial Ginault

There are both sides to the argument so I take the rumors with a grain of salt.... but they do look to have a nice product.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 1:37:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Which model? About once a week I have to slap my hand to stop myself from ordering a 20 ATMOS BlueRay.
View Quote
1545 Classic Ceramic 20 Atmos with date and cyclops.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 2:27:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don’t think you will be disappointed. I’ve had my Y1545 Maxi for 2.5 years now, and still like it very much.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There is a 22 page thread on watchuseek about this matter. There are only a few parts from their watch that are not available domestically...hair spring, main spring, synthetic jewels, sapphire crystals and shock absorber. Here is a great article...Controversial Ginault

There are both sides to the argument so I take the rumors with a grain of salt.... but they do look to have a nice product.
View Quote
Oh I don't doubt it is a good product, I have seen them in person. My problem is them faking a brand, If they can manufacturing everything they say they can then why copy a watch 1/1? I tell you why, because they were a replica company and this is where all their research/development is tied up. And no they can't make all the other movement parts in house. There are only two companies who do this in the US. And a replica brand isn't one of them.

Either way congrats on the new watch. It is going to be a nice piece for sure.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Weiss is one of them no?

I like this one a lot

Link Posted: 10/9/2018 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes they are.

My problem with Weiss (I owned the 42mm Field watch) is the lack of lume, and super grainy dial finish. It looked cheap. But I like what Cameron is working towards.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#29]
That was quick! Received from the Philippines today, missed the delivery yesterday. Very well packed, great looking watch. I had to remove 2 links to get the bracelet fit. The bezel is awesome, lume is nice.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That was quick! Received from the Philippines today, missed the delivery yesterday. Very well packed, great looking watch. I had to remove 2 links to get the bracelet fit. The bezel is awesome, lume is nice.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/1539298921205378828784_jpg-701897.JPG
View Quote
Congrats!!

Great watch
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I saw his stuff a week or two ago.  I'm a Bauhaus fan, I kinda like what he's done, but when you look at his entire collection, it seems so boring to me.
props though for him making a movement in house.
View Quote
I totally agree.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are not alone on that. I really love the BlueRay. The only reason I haven't bought it is I know it wouldn't get any wrist time. I may drunkenly purchase some day though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/1539298921205378828784_jpg-701897.JPG
View Quote
Very very nice automatic sub homage...I have always held the Squale in high regard and believe it is a phenomenal value.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#34]
nice.

I just picked up a squale tropic gmt last month. I like everything about it except the lume. I have 3 seiko divers that outshine it.

but the bracelet, case, crystal and bezel are all awesome.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
nice.

I just picked up a squale tropic gmt last month. I like everything about it except the lume. I have 3 seiko divers that outshine it.

but the bracelet, case, crystal and bezel are all awesome.
View Quote
Seiko lume can’t be beat. Period.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is pure watch snobbery.  You wouldn't do that if it was a guitar.

The current Subs are retardedly overpriced.  Most of the homage watches reference older Subs that are $15k minimum used, and haven't been produced for many years.

I see nothing wrong with a quality homage of a long out of production piece.  Only watch snobs care anyway.  Normal people don't give a crap.  Buy what you want and enjoy.

Having said that, I'm not sure I would trust the Ginault.  A Steinhart will hold its value and is a proven piece for much less.  I agree that I'd rather have an Oris or a Tudor for a little more than a Ginault.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The current Subs are retardedly overpriced.  Most of the homage watches reference older Subs that are $15k minimum used, and haven't been produced for many years.

I see nothing wrong with a quality homage of a long out of production piece.  Only watch snobs care anyway.  Normal people don't give a crap.  Buy what you want and enjoy.
View Quote
That's where I am on the subject.  Rolex obviously has their own movement, history and a more overall refined watch.  The Squale imho isn't very far behind and the value is outstanding.  The Rolex 3130 is a sweet and very pretty movement capable of better accuracy than the Eta 2824 and I believe a huge part of the pricetag since it is made in-house.  But I have a hard time seeing $8000+ added value over the Squale on a movement I will never look at. I would be nervous rocking an $8k+ watch in the ocean. I'm very happy with the Squale, scratched the itch very well!
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Having said that, I'm not sure I would trust the Ginault.  A Steinhart will hold its value and is a proven piece for much less.  I agree that I'd rather have an Oris or a Tudor for a little more than a Ginault.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Nothing wrong with a good homage.

My favorite watch is a MKII vantage and I’d rather have it than a current 214270 Explorer I.

Can’t find deals on a ref. 1016 anymore - think subs have risen in value look at the 1016’s.

I’ve also owned several Squale 1545’s. Own a Sub too - the squale is an excellent watch. The homage watch makes or breaks ones desire to go the next level. You will be happy with a great piece or will continue on the path to the grail (different for everyone).

That said I don’t like the ginault. Too much unknown compared to similar known watches.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Nice, OP ! I was pretty sure you would like it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 1:25:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Nice, OP ! I was pretty sure you would like it.
View Quote
Thanks, I love it!  Been wearing it all week, at night it comes off and lays crown up and I am 10 seconds fast over 7 days.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 12:25:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Truth.

I own a steinhart ocean 2. Extremely well made and a beauty.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#42]
How is the Lume on the Squale watches?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How is the Lume on the Squale watches?
View Quote
Not the greatest. Its glows but its dim, at least compared to my seikos.

I just bought a Squale GMT Tropic, as sort of a not sub homage. Dial is great, bezel is awesome (but no lume at 12 on the bezel), case and bracelet are awesome too, but the lume is disappointing. My other 3 watches are all Seiko Divers (Gen 1 Orange Monster, Blue Sumo, and a new SRPC44 Golden Turtle), and the lume on all of them blows the squale out of the water, even the 10 year old Monster.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Seiko owns the lume game.

Nobody comes close.

Rolex, nope.

Omega, nope. ETA: the lume on the 2254’s was impressive but not seiko strong.

Tudor, nope.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Seiko owns the lume game.

Nobody comes close.

Rolex, nope.

Omega, nope. ETA: the lume on the 2254’s was impressive but not seiko strong.

Tudor, nope.
View Quote
NTH's lume is pretty good. Their blue is dim, but lasts all night. Their green is impressive. Only problem is with the bezel all lumed-up, it's almost too much going on. Blurry vision in the middle of the night has a hard time seeing what time it is.

My Citizen BN0000 is brighter than my SKX initially, but fades a bit quicker. Coming in out of the sun, the thing is a torch even during daylight.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#46]
I guess it depends on what you want the watch for.  If you want to look at your wrist and see a rolex, its gonna cost $8k, which I think is patently ludicrous for a tool watch with a date function.

If you want an extremely accurate and tough diver, why not a GS Spring Drive diver for half what a rolex costs?

If you don't want to spend that much, how many brands are using the seiko 35 series of movements?  I've got a samurai that is crazy accurate for what it is (a <$500 watch) and a Pantor or Deep Blue with that same movement is going to do everything that any 200-300m diver will do except say rolex on it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I guess it depends on what you want the watch for.  If you want to look at your wrist and see a rolex, its gonna cost $8k, which I think is patently ludicrous for a tool watch with a date function.

If you want an extremely accurate and tough diver, why not a GS Spring Drive diver for half what a rolex costs?

I'd buy one if they made a diver in the 40mm range. The Spring Drive is an awesome movement.

If you don't want to spend that much, how many brands are using the seiko 35 series of movements?  I've got a samurai that is crazy accurate for what it is (a <$500 watch) and a Pantor or Deep Blue with that same movement is going to do everything that any 200-300m diver will do except say rolex on it.

I'd love a sterile dial for my Sub. If I could get a matte dial that didn't have "ROLEX" on it made by Rolex - I'd throw the cash at it today. The brand stigma is one of the "meh" things about owning one, but at the same time I've been asked if a couple of Seiko's, Marathon TSAR, and MKII is a Rolex - never have I been asked if my Sub is a Rolex (and I like it).

Put it on a nato and fly under the radar.

Attachment Attached File

I bought it to enjoy and pass on one of these days - not to get commentary on it or for others enjoyment.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top