Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2021 3:51:21 PM EDT
I have a 2019 Subaru Outback with the 3.6l engine. I was wondering if anyone has attempted a self service of the CVT fluid and how it went for them?

I’m reading about potential valve body issues if it’s not done perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a 2019 Subaru Outback with the 3.6l engine. I was wondering if anyone has attempted a self service of the CVT fluid and how it went for them?

I’m reading about potential valve body issues if it’s not done perfectly.
View Quote

I just have Subaru do it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m leaning towards this being the answer. I believe they want around $400 to do it and that’s cheap insurance compared to the 6k+ to replace the transmission.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I’m leaning towards this being the answer. I believe they want around $400 to do it and that’s cheap insurance compared to the 6k+ to replace the transmission.
View Quote

I did mine on my wife’s 2018 model. It was a pain in the ass.... the car has to be perfectly leveled, you’ll need a scan tool that can rear Cvt oil temps as the oil expends and you can only fill it at a certain temp. If I had to do it all over again,I would just have Subaru do it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I do a CVT flush yearly (paranoid) in my Subaru.

If you're going to do it I recommend getting access to the service manual to get the factory procedure.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

IIRC the transmission is a 100k service item, and requires special fluid. LET THEM DO IT!

the one isn my 2.0 forester started leaking at 60k(known issue).  it is NOT intended to be serviced on the 2.0 and 2.5 models. not sure about the 3.6 models.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The arrangement of the non-labeled drain plugs and fill plugs on Subaru CVT’s is not obvious or logical in any way. You think you’re servicing the right one and you’re not. I’ve seen a few guys that thought they were filling the front diff and were pumping gear lube into the CVT and vice versa.

I’ll look in Alldata later and see if there’s a good pic.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all.

I’ll be doing the diffs myself in the next couple weeks. With good pics those are pretty easy. I’ll probably be paranoid and have the dealer do the CVT at 75k. Cheap insurance really.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Just purchased a 2015 with the CVT. My understanding is that some model years got their warranty extended to 100k instead of the factory 60k. I won't be futzing with mine until after the 100k, but even then, ~$400 is cheap piece of mind.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Last time I did a drain and fill took about 7qt.
Top off was Trans temp of 90 to 100deg.
28 bucks a qt.  Mainly because I got into the valve body.
Drain & fill is really a waste of new fluid. Better to power flush but I retired before we got into that.
Most problems I ran into was after market shops draining diff or Trans thinking it was engine oil.
100k to 120k will be ok on Trans
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Ours has 66k on it and it hasn’t been due that I know of, unless it was done at the 60k

$400 is nothing compared to replacing the cvt
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ours has 66k on it and it hasn’t been due that I know of, unless it was done at the 60k

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Replacing the CVT is a whole unit(they don't rebuild them, apparently the design is factory new whole unit) and I asked that exact question, 4k is ballpark.  DONT jack with it.

Quoted:
Just purchased a 2015 with the CVT. My understanding is that some model years got their warranty extended to 100k instead of the factory 60k. I won't be futzing with mine until after the 100k, but even then, ~$400 is cheap piece of mind.

Yep the 2014, 2015, 2016's were all extended to 100k on the CVT because the low torque models had a problem with going out due to heat. Foreign models have an additional cooler for CVT fluid(and about an extra quart) but American models didn't.  I got a letter saying it was extended to 100k in like 2016, I don't recall if they said it transferred or not. call a dealer to check.

The high torque models(XT turbo foresters, WRX's, not sure about outback h6's) also got it but were supposed to be ok unless used for towing the 1250 lbs they max out at(unless you have trailer with brakes that weighs  1500lbs and bother to install a brake controller for it.  lol)) . They also changed manuals to say CVT's from " never change fluid ever" to "change fluid at 100k unless you tow, or drive hot weather, or other stuff like stop at stop lights and then start at them...  then it is a 60k replace lol). My CVT (2014 XT forester) had an extra gob of sealant and was a slow drip, I pointed it out and they were able disconnect the CVT, re gasket it, and in so doing replaced the fluid (at 65k).   I'm at 75k now, and I've lifted it 2 inches, and put 29.5 inch AT tires on it(MPG is down to 20-21 highway though). I'm going overlanding with the local jeep club Saturday Ill post some photos if we go through some fun stuff.

@M4-AR @NAM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top