Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2021 4:35:35 PM EDT
Thinking about getting into an auto watch. Want to try something budget before I really go for it. However, I will not buy an invicta or steinhart because of unfortunate names.

What should I be looking into? I am thinking about a Tudor eventually but everything I have currently is a battery operated bastard
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Ford
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]

I would up your budget to less than $500 and look at

1) Tissot
2) Hamilton
3)  Seiko

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would up your budget to less than $500 and look at

1) Tissot
2) Hamilton
3)  Seiko

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I know everyone hates the logo, but Long Island Watches are a lot of bang for the buck. Both of these are sapphire sandwich, screw-down crown, and Seiko movements with hacking & handwinding. Both are priced under $200.

There are cheaper autos but I don’t think there are many with those specs.

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out "Deep Blue" watches...
Their cheaper ones have Seiko movements and pretty good bang for the buck...

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Seiko Samurai
Orient
Glycine if you shop around
Tissot if you shop around
Hamilton if you shop around
Aramar
Deep Blue
Used Steinhart

I’m partial to this

Lots of choices here
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#7]
You might be able to find a Hamilton in that price range, but it'll be easier to find a Seiko 5, something like the SNZ, SNK, or SRP. Orient Bambino may be a good option if you can get over your watch saying' Orient' on it. Tissot makes some nice watches in that price range also. Timex Navi or M79 auto might also be a consideration. In my opinion Casio, Seiko, and Tissot are the way to go within the sub $500 mark.

If you open up the budget closer to $500-$600 your options grow considerably. More microbrands open up and you still have your Seiko Turtles and Samurais, Sangin Atlas, Marathon General Purpose Mechanical, Citizen Promaster Dive Auto, Seiko Presage, Laco, Baltic, and Lorier all make great watches with a slight (200% haha) increase in budget.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the watch you want. Buying something to scratch the itch won't help and you spend more in the long run.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I’d have no problem buying an Orient or and Islander watch. I have an Orient Flight I, and it’s been a great watch. Thinking of getting the Islander Turtle homage soon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#10]
This thread is relevant to my interests right now.  

There a reason Citizen isn't mentioned?

And Lucien Piccard
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get the watch you want. Buying something to scratch the itch won't help and you spend more in the long run.
View Quote

the watch I "want" is $13,000 and I'm in no way shape or form buying that any time soon :(
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And Lucien Piccard
View Quote

Because at this time Citizen is nOt making any autos
There is talk of them re_introducing some to the line, but they will be quote " higher end " and it will not till be till 4th quarter towards Christmas if it happens this year.

Lucien Piccard uses cheap plastic gear, chines movements.
Same thing you will find in a Charles Hubert
Fossil autos are better than Lucien Piccard.
The Harbor Freight of autos, but lower quality.    

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is talk of them re_introducing some to the line, but they will be quote " higher end " and it will not till be till 4th quarter towards Christmas if it happens this year.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Lucien Piccard

Excellent. I kinda came to the same conclusion since posting.

Been looking at Seikos now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#14]
At that price point, I would get an Islander clone of the SKX series.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
At that price point, I would get an Islander clone of the SKX series.
View Quote

this.

go here to see their Seiko-clone dive watches.

I'd argue they are better than SKXs because the Islanders have sapphire crystals, ceramic bezels, and the NH35/36 movement.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought a nice Sinn 656 clone off ebay based on a Seiko 5 mechanism for roughly $200. There are 37, 38, and 39mm variants being sold
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thinking about getting into an auto watch. Want to try something budget before I really go for it. However, I will not buy an invicta or steinhart because of unfortunate names.

What should I be looking into? I am thinking about a Tudor eventually but everything I have currently is a battery operated bastard
View Quote
Okay, I totally get Invicta, the Pep Boys', Gold Tone Spinner Rims of the watch world.....

but why don't you like Steinhart?  

Love mine...and so do lots and lots of other owners.....

Not judging!  Just curious.

Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Okay, I totally get Invicta, the Pep Boys', Gold Tone Spinner Rims of the watch world.....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23042/Ocean_One_JPG-2023280.jpg

View Quote

I like the watches! But dated a girl with a Very similar name and not really interested in seeing it every time I check my watch. She was a legit psychopath
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I like the watches! But dated a girl with a Very similar name and not really interested in seeing it every time I check my watch. She was a legit psychopath
View Quote

Valid.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#20]

@FlockaCGulz I know it's crazy, but so was she. Turned out she was significantly more married than she had let on, and had at least 2 more boyfriends at the time. Seems like a lot of work to keep straight but I bailed as soon as I found out.

Other side note from later that year... my HS GF looked me up, said she wanted to get back together but I should know she was married and divorced 2x and she has herpes. I politely declined. She left, got a wreck and DUI in the process, then married a guy 20 years older than her who already had a bunch of kids. She gets preggo a few weeks after her now daughter did. So she's officially a grandma and her kid is younger than her grandkid. ANd the kids are sibling-cousins or some shit? I'm not even sure. And no, I'm not even from Alabama
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@FlockaCGulz I know it's crazy, but so was she. Turned out she was significantly more married than she had let on, and had at least 2 more boyfriends at the time. Seems like a lot of work to keep straight but I bailed as soon as I found out.

Other side note from later that year... my HS GF looked me up, said she wanted to get back together but I should know she was married and divorced 2x and she has herpes. I politely declined. She left, got a wreck and DUI in the process, then married a guy 20 years older than her who already had a bunch of kids. She gets preggo a few weeks after her now daughter did. So she's officially a grandma and her kid is younger than her grandkid. ANd the kids are sibling-cousins or some shit? I'm not even sure. And no, I'm not even from Alabama
View Quote

Lol, I'm with you 100%. Good eject and no need to be reminded hourly of that mess. I can't get past the similarity to Steinhausen Watches (junk sold in NRA magazines, etc) so I've never been interested in them myself. I admit they're legit nice watches, though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hate to admit...that I EXACTLY get that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Citizen is still cranking out the NY0040 / NY0080 automatic divers. Lots of EUR shops can get them to you for around $250 shipped.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Citizen is still cranking out the NY0040 / NY0080 automatic divers. Lots of EUR shops can get them to you for around $250 shipped.

View Quote

They aren't fancy, the crown is on the wrong side, and in my opinion the hands look cheap, but I have one and don't have plans on selling it.  I do like that watch for a general purpose waterproof watch, and for some reason I like the dial better than the SKX007.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steinhart makes a great bang for the buck German company/Swiss made watch.
But they are essentially an homage company/micro brand online sales only company that is barely 20 years old.

I just don’t find it interesting.

I can find similar priced/similar themed watches with at least 50 if not 150 more years of Swiss watch making history, plus their own designs, historical looks, etc.

So, unfairly or not,
I am more likely to buy a similar model from Glycine, Squale, Certina, etc. than I would from Steinhart.  Much in the same way that I would buy an SRP from Seiko instead of a 6309 clone from a newer homage company.  Or a new Beretta 92 from Beretta instead of Girsan.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Subject line

Glances to forum name

Was hoping for NFA
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 2:50:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Those Islander Seikos are sweet for the money
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd look for a Seiko 007
they are increasing in value since they discontinued production, it's a classic dive watch that stands above other brands at a similar price point.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd look for a Seiko 007, either in rubber strap or stainless bracelet - they are increasing in value since they discontinued production, it's a classic dive watch that stands above other brands at a similar price point.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2021 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought a NIB Hamilton Khaki with date for $220 on fleabay last summer.  It's a solid +2 seconds per day automatic with a sapphire crystal.  You can often find then sub $300 NIB.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#31]
@ramairthree will cringe but the Seiko King Turtle is on Amazon right now with steel bracelet for $468, apply for their Visa take $100 off. Too tempting.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@ramairthree will cringe but the Seiko King Turtle is on Amazon right now with steel bracelet for $468, apply for their Visa take $100 off. Too tempting.
View Quote
Nice. I thought about the black textured dial but this one jumped out at me a couple of weeks ago for not much more than the $300 topic of this thread.

I may have to see about getting a bracelet for it. It just came back from Duarte yesterday with a new crystal without cyclops.

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nice. I thought about the black textured dial but this one jumped out at me a couple of weeks ago for not much more than the $300 topic of this thread.

I may have to see about getting a bracelet for it. It just came back from Duarte yesterday with a new crystal without cyclops.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/622/img_1558a-2031680.jpg
View Quote

Man that is awesome- love the dial. I am actually good with the cyclops- aging eyes!
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Just came in today - pretty happy with it, bezel and cyclops line up decently. I was skeptical on the grenade dial but I like it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just came in today - pretty happy with it, bezel and cyclops line up decently. I was skeptical on the grenade dial but I like it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112468/7AA358FB-C079-4221-A4F3-B71F2AC8E63D_jpe-2032372.JPG
View Quote

looks great!
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
looks great!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112468/7AA358FB-C079-4221-A4F3-B71F2AC8E63D_jpe-2032372.JPG
looks great!
Agreed. The 'king' turtles make a nice upgrade to the standard versions.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:24:03 AM EDT
[#37]
I’m not cringing 5thLegion.

You guys have to understand I don’t hate Seiko.
I love Seiko.
It’s just that I’m pissed at Seiko.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I’m not cringing 5thLegion.

You guys have to understand I don’t hate Seiko.
I love Seiko.
It’s just that I’m pissed at Seiko.
View Quote

I’m with you - disappointed more than pissed. So this new King Turtle, thus far great watch…with several flaws already irking me. The case is wonderful- fits my wrist like an old friend. The dial is non traditional but I knew that going into it and I am liking it. Very mixed feelings on the sapphire- looks great minus the damn cyclops. While very useful, really kind of ruins the watch for me. Too big due to the day/date (I love the day/date - just not with a candy bar cyclops). The ceramic bezel insert is amazing! No signed crown, WTH. My point is so close with this one Seiko, so close.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I’m with you - disappointed more than pissed. So this new King Turtle, thus far great watch…with several flaws already irking me. The case is wonderful- fits my wrist like an old friend. The dial is non traditional but I knew that going into it and I am liking it. Very mixed feelings on the sapphire- looks great minus the damn cyclops. While very useful, really kind of ruins the watch for me. Too big due to the day/date (I love the day/date - just not with a candy bar cyclops). The ceramic bezel insert is amazing! No signed crown, WTH. My point is so close with this one Seiko, so close.
View Quote

wait until you hit your late 40s and develop presbyopia -- you'll appreciate the cyclops making the day/date readable again  I'm there right now, I cannot read the date on any of my watches without some +1.5 reading glasses.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
wait until you hit your late 40s and develop presbyopia -- you'll appreciate the cyclops making the day/date readable again  I'm there right now, I cannot read the date on any of my watches without some +1.5 reading glasses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm with you - disappointed more than pissed. So this new King Turtle, thus far great watchwith several flaws already irking me. The case is wonderful- fits my wrist like an old friend. The dial is non traditional but I knew that going into it and I am liking it. Very mixed feelings on the sapphire- looks great minus the damn cyclops. While very useful, really kind of ruins the watch for me. Too big due to the day/date (I love the day/date - just not with a candy bar cyclops). The ceramic bezel insert is amazing! No signed crown, WTH. My point is so close with this one Seiko, so close.
Don't blame your age for your defective genes. I'm a bit older and still don't need the cyclops.

I vote get rid of it. You can get a crystal without cyclops from Crystal Times, and they have some cool looking crowns also. I thought about getting one but decided to stick with OEM for now.

https://usa.crystaltimes.net/product-category/models/srp-turtle-mod-parts/

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Don't blame your age for your defective genes. I'm a bit older and still don't need the cyclops.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#42]
if anybody swaps out their King Turtle cyclops lens for an aftermarket lens, I'll buy that cyclops off of you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
if anybody swaps out their King Turtle cyclops lens for an aftermarket lens, I'll buy that cyclops off of you.
View Quote

@spartacus2002

I can send you a link to buy a after market Cyclops lens & UV crystal cement for if.

Link Posted: 8/3/2021 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@spartacus2002

I can send you a link to buy a after market Cyclops lens & UV crystal cement for if.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@spartacus2002

that would be great, thanks!  

@G_S
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am there brother just too proud to admit it!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@spartacus2002

View Quote

Would love that link also please, thank you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Hy9TGjn.gif

LOLOLOLOLOL!!! That was perfect!!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#48]
No love for the chinese watches that are using the Seiko NH35 movement, such as Pagani?

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No love for the chinese watches that are using the Seiko NH35 movement, such as Pagani?

https://www.pagani.design/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/He1af1e86af29485290970d1953079840n.jpg
View Quote

The reviews I’ve read have not been positive, but I admittedly have no experience myself with them.

I’ve thought about buying one just to see, but as I have more than 100 watches, my curiousty is a spendy vice.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The reviews I’ve read have not been positive, but I admittedly have no experience myself with them.

I’ve thought about buying one just to see, but as I have more than 100 watches, my curiousty is a spendy vice.
View Quote

I actually bought a Pagani. It was a raging piece of shit and the clasp got stuck closed the first time I put it on. Came very close to cutting it off to return. Thankfully my wife was home since it took 2 hands and a screwdriver to remove
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top