Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2021 12:54:24 PM EST
So a pen exploded in my dryer last week. The only thing I've found that will clean it is nail polish remover. Lots of people online suggest this for this problem however some say to avoid it since it is flammable.

Does the nail polish remover evaporate, or does it stay flammable if used on a surface?

I plan on washing out the dryer with soap and water afterwards but worried about any nail polish remover that might go through the air holes into the dryer and if there is a fire hazard when we turn on the dryer next.

Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:01:44 PM EST
Most if not all nail polish remover is acetone with a sweet smelling agent added so the ladies remain happy.

I think acetone is absorbed through unbroken skin, like so many other organic liquids and beelines straight to the liver.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:06:49 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mousegun:
Most if not all nail polish remover is acetone with a sweet smelling agent added so the ladies remain happy.

I think acetone is absorbed through unbroken skin, like so many other organic liquids and beelines straight to the liver.
View Quote



The one I'm using is acetone free, but it is still marked "highly flammable".

Just curious if the flammable aspect evaporates or stays the surface forever
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:15:06 PM EST
Your fine. Leave the door open for an hour or so, and if you're really concerned point a fan in there.

The volatility makes it flammable, but also makes it disipate quickly.

The absorption through the skin, and vapors while you're using it are probably more of a concern. Either get a organic vapor respirator or make sure you have some air movement. Don't keep your head in there while scrubbing it either.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:29:28 PM EST
Does the bottle of fingernail polish remover come in a bottle? Yes, it does.
Does the bottle have a label? Yes, it does.
JFC!  READ IT! Or does someone need a Youtube video on how to do that too?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:02:47 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FlynnDawg5454:
Does the bottle of fingernail polish remover come in a bottle? Yes, it does.
Does the bottle have a label? Yes, it does.
JFC!  READ IT! Or does someone need a Youtube video on how to do that too?
View Quote


The bottle does not explain the volatility properties and how they apply to a clothes dryer...which is what I'm asking about here.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:03:51 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FlynnDawg5454:
Does the bottle of fingernail polish remover come in a bottle? Yes, it does.
Does the bottle have a label? Yes, it does.
JFC!  READ IT! Or does someone need a Youtube video on how to do that too?
View Quote

This isn't GD.  You aren't allowed to talk like that here.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:15:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2021 2:15:46 PM EST by brickeyee]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By avigo:


The bottle does not explain the volatility properties and how they apply to a clothes dryer...which is what I'm asking about here.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By avigo:
Originally Posted By FlynnDawg5454:
Does the bottle of fingernail polish remover come in a bottle? Yes, it does.
Does the bottle have a label? Yes, it does.
JFC!  READ IT! Or does someone need a Youtube video on how to do that too?


The bottle does not explain the volatility properties and how they apply to a clothes dryer...which is what I'm asking about here.


Get an MSDS for the remover.
It will give you at least a range of possible ingredients.

For the most part once the volatiles have evaporated the flammability is greatly decreased.

After it is dry, soak it in water with some detergent (spot remover for the washing machine), then wash.
Do not overfill the washing machine.
You want everything to remain well below the water level in the washer.
The solvents are part of the nail polish buzz.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:49:10 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brickeyee:

Get an MSDS for the remover.
It will give you at least a range of possible ingredients.

For the most part once the volatiles have evaporated the flammability is greatly decreased.

After it is dry, soak it in water with some detergent (spot remover for the washing machine), then wash.
Do not overfill the washing machine.
You want everything to remain well below the water level in the washer.
The solvents are part of the nail polish buzz.
View Quote


Thanks. There actually isn't any ink in the washing machine, just the dryer. That's why I was concerned about flammability since the dryer gets hot
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:55:49 PM EST
You’ll be fine. It evaporates quickly. As mentioned, it’s mainly acetone. I don’t think you even need to wash it out afterwards as long as you let it air out but it won’t hurt.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:57:01 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
You’ll be fine. It evaporates quickly. As mentioned, it’s mainly acetone. I don’t think you even need to wash it out afterwards as long as you let it air out but it won’t hurt.
View Quote


Thanks. The one I'm using actually doesn't have any acetone. But the bottle does say highly flammable
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:13:15 PM EST
I have used products like goof off, paint thinner, etc in the vicinity of the dryer while it was running.  The clothes smelled horrible.  I would be a tad concerned about this, but as far as the thing lighting on fire, you should be just fine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:49:13 PM EST
Don’t use nail polish remover. Instead use hair spray. Seriously. Years ago smart me left a black permanent marker in my clothes and during laundry it dumped onto a pillow case.  Whereupon it also went thru the dryer. A couple of attempts to rewash the stained item did nada.  On advice from my mother I used some cheap hair spray on every spot.  Then rewashed. Every mark was gone. Totally.

So...hairspray.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:32:24 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hsvhobbit:
Don’t use nail polish remover. Instead use hair spray. Seriously. Years ago smart me left a black permanent marker in my clothes and during laundry it dumped onto a pillow case.  Whereupon it also went thru the dryer. A couple of attempts to rewash the stained item did nada.  On advice from my mother I used some cheap hair spray on every spot.  Then rewashed. Every mark was gone. Totally.

So...hairspray.
View Quote

So just spray it on and wipe off? Spray it on and leave it?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:24:13 AM EST
Spray enough to soak good and wash. It was shocking how good that stuff worked.  Usually if a stain has been run thru the dryer it’s set forever and I didn’t hold out much hope. But damned if it didn’t work like magic.

I’d be cautious and not wash the marked stuff with anything else though.
Top Top