Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2021 9:27:44 PM EDT
So I'm in an area in the south that's going to get some unprecedented cold weather the next week.
I'm in an apartment and they told everybody to unhook their washers and have both the cold and hot lines on a drip 24/7.

I was always under the impression that letting faucets etc kept the plumbing in the house moving overall. Is this wrong?

Do I really need to unhook the water lines on the washing machine and have them dripping to prevent freezing? The lowest it's going to get over the next week is the low 20s. But I'm assuming the pipes aren't insulated down here.

The indoor temp is 72 and we will keep the door to the laundry room open as well as all of our faucets/showers on a drip.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been in DFW for the current ice event. One thing to be sure to do if you lose power is to drip the cold water lines. AND DON'T FORGET to run your HOT WATER periodically as well. My outside wall kitchen hot water stopped yesterday so I started running them as well. After a while the faucet opened up. Gas water heater so as long a I had water moving through I was okay. Then I started running the hot faucets about every 2-3 hours and kept them open. My question OP is where do they want you to get rid of the dripwater? Buckets and pour it down the drain? I did not unhook my washer and dryer and so far all seems okay. They are in the garage but share a wall with the nearest bedroom. Ive been checking them though.

Better safe than sorry imho opinion. Let the faucets drip. It's a lot cheaper paying the water bill than replacing a ton of plumbing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If you rent, I'd do as they ask.  If you don't, maybe the come back at you later if there is an "event".  And I'd ask them where do I put the water as it drips.  Likely haven't
thought it through.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
West Houston reporting here, on day 3 of our Winter-pocalypse.  I woke up Monday morning realizing I had left all the faucets dripping, except I had done nothing for the washing machine.  I checked, and sure enough, the cold side was froze up.  I disconnected the line from the washer, put it in a bucket (with a clamp to keep it from popping out when pressure came back), opened the valve, and applied a hair dryer to valve.  That didn't work, so I went up in the attic, and applied the hair dryer directly to the copper pipe where it elbowed down into the wall.  After about 10 minutes, water started flowing.  I then turned it onto until it was dripping, then I removed the washer drain line, and stuck the cold water hose down in there.  Now it could drip to it's heart's content.

Come Tuesday morning, the hot side had froze up.  Same thing repeated, except this time I had to let it dribble in a bucket, because I couldn't fit both lines down the drain hole.  By late afternoon temps were high enough I could hook both lines back up to the machine.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been in DFW for the current ice event. One thing to be sure to do if you lose power is to drip the cold water lines. AND DON'T FORGET to run your HOT WATER periodically as well. My outside wall kitchen hot water stopped yesterday so I started running them as well. After a while the faucet opened up. Gas water heater so as long a I had water moving through I was okay. Then I started running the hot faucets about every 2-3 hours and kept them open. My question OP is where do they want you to get rid of the dripwater? Buckets and pour it down the drain? I did not unhook my washer and dryer and so far all seems okay. They are in the garage but share a wall with the nearest bedroom. Ive been checking them though.

Better safe than sorry imho opinion. Let the faucets drip. It's a lot cheaper paying the water bill than replacing a ton of plumbing.
View Quote

Thanks. They said to let the lines drip into the drain hole.

We have a sprinkler system, and honestly at this point I am more concerned about that. Not sure what precautions they are taking there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
West Houston reporting here, on day 3 of our Winter-pocalypse.  I woke up Monday morning realizing I had left all the faucets dripping, except I had done nothing for the washing machine.  I checked, and sure enough, the cold side was froze up.  I disconnected the line from the washer, put it in a bucket (with a clamp to keep it from popping out when pressure came back), opened the valve, and applied a hair dryer to valve.  That didn't work, so I went up in the attic, and applied the hair dryer directly to the copper pipe where it elbowed down into the wall.  After about 10 minutes, water started flowing.  I then turned it onto until it was dripping, then I removed the washer drain line, and stuck the cold water hose down in there.  Now it could drip to it's heart's content.

Come Tuesday morning, the hot side had froze up.  Same thing repeated, except this time I had to let it dribble in a bucket, because I couldn't fit both lines down the drain hole.  By late afternoon temps were high enough I could hook both lines back up to the machine.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that. Hope things get back to normal for you guys soon!
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I went ahead and disconnected them and ran them into the drain outlet that is next to the hot/cold water valves.

The other thing is they want both hot and cold to be on a drip 24/7.

Is it ok to leave the hot on 24/7 like that?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#7]
We disconnect the water from sprinkler systems here, and blow the whole system out with compressed air. It's not that hard.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Delete
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it safe to leave hot water dripping all the time? Will it use all my hot water up?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:33:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes it can over time if you are running the water out faster than it can heat the incoming water. That happened to me so I closed the hot faucets and started turning them on and off about every 2 hours until the heater caught up and was giving me hot water again. Alls well here now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:48:50 AM EDT
[#11]
But it’s safe to leave the hot on all night? The hose is hot after letting it drip for a few hours. Just don’t want to create problems by doing this
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is it safe to leave hot water dripping all the time? Will it use all my hot water up?
View Quote

Only if it is more than a drip.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:31:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, just wastes the energy to heat it.  Still better than freezing or busted lines.
View Quote

This. If you pay for water or heat they should reimburse you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top