Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/13/2019 11:54:51 AM EDT
Is this one of the most common, well known video clips that you've seen in WW2 documentary's?

I've even seen it pop up occasionally in music and unrelated videos.

FF 00:30

Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Stuka Ace...

Rudel was a warrior, despite the side he fought for. Sinking a battleship during the battle of Stalingrad, continuing fly after losing a leg, claiming one of Russia’s ace pilots, who crashed trying to shot him down.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stuka Ace...

Rudel was a warrior, despite the side he fought for. Sinking a battleship during the battle of Stalingrad, continuing fly after losing a leg, claiming one of Russia’s ace pilots, who crashed trying to shot him down.
View Quote
Only recipient of the Knight's Cross with Golden Oak Leaves and Swords, and Diamonds (Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Goldenem Eichenlaub, Schwertern und Brillanten).

Bader was a bad ass too. NO legs.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Stuka Ace...

View Quote
JU 87 Stuka TankBuster GunCam
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, Stukas with cannons!
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, those Stuka pilots were real heroes, especially when they used the hospital of a Polish city as their aiming point. That's how they STARTED World War 2.

Fuck those Nazi slimeballs. Hope they're enjoying their anally-delivered pineapples in Hell.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup.

Rudel's plane.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Stuka Ace...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Stuka Ace...

Holy shit

During the war, Rudel was credited with the destruction of 519 tanks, as well as one battleship, one cruiser, 70 landing craft and 150 artillery emplacements.[3] He claimed 7 aerial victories and the destruction of more than 800 vehicles of all types.[3] He flew 2,530 ground-attack missions exclusively on the Eastern Front, usually flying the Junkers Ju 87 "Stuka" dive bomber.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, those Stuka pilots were real heroes, especially when they used the hospital of a Polish city as their aiming point. That's how they STARTED World War 2.

Fuck those Nazi slimeballs. Hope they're enjoying their anally-delivered pineapples in Hell.
View Quote
Derisive snort...
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Germany made so many beautifully ugly aircraft.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#10]
There are only two intact surviving JU-87s.

One in England, at the RAF Museum in London.

One in Chicago, hanging from the ceiling at the Museum of Science and Industry.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Make it three! Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum is well along in restoring a Ju87-R4 to flying condition.

https://flyingheritage.org/Explore/The-Collection/Germany/Junkers-Ju-87-R-4-Stuka.aspx
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Holy shit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stuka Ace...

Holy shit

During the war, Rudel was credited with the destruction of 519 tanks, as well as one battleship, one cruiser, 70 landing craft and 150 artillery emplacements.[3] He claimed 7 aerial victories and the destruction of more than 800 vehicles of all types.[3] He flew 2,530 ground-attack missions exclusively on the Eastern Front, usually flying the Junkers Ju 87 "Stuka" dive bomber.
I’d take German accounts of losses inflicted only one step more seriously than the Russians.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’d take German accounts of losses inflicted only one step more seriously than the Russians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stuka Ace...

Holy shit

His surrender to the Allies was pure class, too. They loaded up everyone who would fit into every plane that would fly, went west until they found an airfield in Allied hands, then crashed their planes on the runways in order to deny their use to their would-be captors.

Then he surrendered.

He was an unrepentant Nazi to his dying day, so take his accomplishments for what they are during he war.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Holy shit
View Quote
thats an insane amount of flight time.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Only recipient of the Knight's Cross with Golden Oak Leaves and Swords, and Diamonds (Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Goldenem Eichenlaub, Schwertern und Brillanten).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stuka Ace...

He also married three separate women named Ursula . Probably a first as well...

Rudel was married three times. His 1942 marriage to Ursula, nicknamed "Hanne", produced two sons, Hans-Ulrich and Siegfried. They divorced in 1950. According to the news magazine Der Spiegel, one reason for the divorce was that his wife had sold some of his decorations, including the Oak Leaves with Diamonds, to an American collector, but she also refused to move to Argentina.[59] On 27 March 1951, Der Spiegel published Ursula Rudel's denial of selling his decorations, and further stated she had no intention of doing so.[60] Rudel married his second wife, Ursula née Daemisch in 1965. The marriage produced his third son, Christoph, born in 1969.[61] A year later, Rudel survived a stroke on 26 April 1970.[62] Following his divorce in 1977, he married Ursula née Bassfeld.[61]
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Engineer Pierre Sprey, a former Pentagon procurement official who helped design the A-10, confirmed to The Daily Beast that none other than legendary Luftwaffe Colonel Hans-Ulrich Rudel was consulted to develop the Warthog.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Holy shit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stuka Ace...

Rudel was a warrior, despite the side he fought for. Sinking a battleship during the battle of Stalingrad, continuing fly after losing a leg, claiming one of Russia's ace pilots, who crashed trying to shot him down.
Holy shit

I'd take Nazi Germany war propaganda 'statistics' with a grain of salt.....
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Make it three! Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum is well along in restoring a Ju87-R4 to flying condition.

https://flyingheritage.org/Explore/The-Collection/Germany/Junkers-Ju-87-R-4-Stuka.aspx
View Quote
IIRC, that tail will end up composed of parts of two crashed aircraft.

It's like pulling parts from 2 scrapped F-150s, fabricating whatever parts you need, and calling it "All Original".
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Stuka Ace...

Rudel was a warrior, despite the side he fought for. Sinking a battleship during the battle of Stalingrad  Leningrad, continuing fly after losing a leg, claiming one of Russia’s ace pilots, who crashed trying to shot him down.
View Quote
No battleships at Stalingrad.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
German verification procedures were as stringent as anyone's.  All sides over claimed, often grossly so.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#22]
If ya want to see a cool documentary on the Stuka there is a really good one on Amazon
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you think dual 3,7 cm cannons are sweet, let me tell you about the HS 129:

It carried a 7,5 cm Pak 40 as its main armament...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stuka Ace...

Rudel was a warrior, despite the side he fought for. Sinking a battleship during the battle of Stalingrad  Leningrad, continuing fly after losing a leg, claiming one of Russia’s ace pilots, who crashed trying to shot him down.
Barat was at Leningrad, sorry. Some-kind-of-Grad...
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#25]
If you guys want to see some truly rare and awesome footage that you probably haven't seen before of Luftwaffe birds, youtube the old History Channel series "Wings of the Luftwaffe" on YouTube.  I don't know where they got their footage, but most of the stuff I see on that series is not shown anywhere else.  It's also very informative.

Wings of the Luftwaffe: Bf-110 "Destroyer"

This is one of about 15 episodes you can find online.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I had one of these as a kid.  It was one of my favorite toys.  The bomb would drop.

Link Posted: 6/13/2019 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#27]
My favorite occurrence of the footage...

You dropped a bomb on me
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I had one of these as a kid.  It was one of my favorite toys.  The bomb would drop.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/42/97/84/4297845e39a8996588d226796d9c8a50.jpg
View Quote
I had that too. Die cast metal. If I remember correctly the bomb could hold a cap gun cap that would pop on hitting the ground.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a Stuka gas powered Cox plane when I was a kid, the kind that used a string to fly. I remember it was big and it came in black plastic with red interior (which looked like crap to me), so I painted it in German WWII desert camo with those giraffe pattern stripes using and airbrush along with the cockpit and canopy details and it looked much better like a huge scale model.

Also had the gas powered Cox P40 and P51.

This was in the late 70's.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#30]
the stuka b-1 variant with its jericho trumpets scared the hell out of soldiers
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#31]
The Stuka was a real departure in both aircraft design and the tactics to use it. It was also heavily propagandized as the new face of the modern German Air Force. It developed a new idea for bombing and also the idea of true close support with aircraft dropping bombs right in support of the front line troops. IIRC, the Germans were the first ones to introduce the idea of the Forward Air Controller as well.
Those Stuka pilots were the cream of the crop, too. Only the highest marks in flying (and, not coincidentally, the most politically reliable) were allowed into the program, and it was easy to wash out. Unfortunately for the Stuka, it was really slow and easy meat for any kind of halfway modern fighter by 1941. A lot of really good pilots died who would be sorely missed later in the war by the Luftwaffe.
Rudel, while no doubt a very, very good pilot, and without question a brave man, was also a convinced, hard core Nazi who never actually gave up his beliefs. The definition of the word "fanatic", he retired to Spain and wrote Stuka Pilot, a book that seems to have patches of genuine experiences intermixed with outright lies and propaganda. The flying stuff, especially later in the war, is probably (mostly at least) based in reality. His accounts of the beginning of the war and seeing the Soviets lined up ready to invade them? Utter bullshit, and there are other passages that are just as suspect as well. But for the most part, it's relatively accurate.
A lot of people do not know this, but one of the most heavily Nazi influenced of the services was the Air Force. Considering it owed its very existence to the Nazi Party, that should not be a surprise.  It had no traditions like the Army or Navy and it was probably on par with the Waffen SS for numbers of convinced Nazis in the ranks. Especially when you consider that the Waffen SS could not draw from the pool of draftees set aside for the Wehrmacht, and so had to lose a lot of party members to the other services. If you were in the pool you could volunteer for the Air Force though, and many did. Remember, the number two guy in Nazi Germany until at least 1942 (nine years) was Hermann Goering.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Holy shit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stuka Ace...

Rudel was a warrior, despite the side he fought for. Sinking a battleship during the battle of Stalingrad, continuing fly after losing a leg, claiming one of Russia's ace pilots, who crashed trying to shot him down.
Holy shit

Rudel's kill claims are considered highly suspect and are debated heavily by historians.

His real kill count is highly likely to be much less.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
You mean their pilots were capable of knocking out entire brigades single highhandedly but they still lost the war?
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Is this one of the most common, well known video clips that you've seen in WW2 documentary's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuO0_4apH08

I've even seen it pop up occasionally in music and unrelated videos.

FF 00:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSHCwIXON9c
View Quote
This clip may have it beat. Coincidentally, it is also dive bomber footage.

The "Japanese" SBDs that have been bombing Pearl Harbor since John Ford used this footage of Hinomaru-marked US Navy Douglas SBD Dauntless dive bombers in his 1943 propaganda film "December 7th." The full sequence has been used by lazy documentarians and filmmakers for the past 76 years.

As for the film "December 7th," it is not your typical propaganda film of the era. The full-length (non-censored) version is worth a watch. It's quite good. Everyone's favorite SBDs make their appearance at the 46min 33sec-mark of the film.
December 7th (long version)
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Seen them both. Apparently the one in Chicago was found intact but shot down with a 20mm cannon slug in the crankcase.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Seen them both. Apparently the one in Chicago was found intact but shot down with a 20mm cannon slug in the crankcase.
View Quote
Yep, there are still a shit-ton of bullet & shrapnel holes visible.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Stukas were one of the most overrated aircraft of WWII. They were outstanding when unopposed (like every other bomber), but were massacred by allied fighters over Europe. They were slow and their bomb load too anemic to be of any real use once the Luftwaffe lost air superiority. They were far more effective on the eastern front before the Soviets got their act together.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Stukas were one of the most overrated aircraft of WWII. They were outstanding when unopposed (like every other bomber), but were massacred by allied fighters over Europe. They were slow and their bomb load too anemic to be of any real use once the Luftwaffe lost air superiority. They were far more effective on the eastern front before the Soviets got their act together.
View Quote
Pretty much this. Phenomenal ground (and naval) attack aircraft when the ME-109s had driven the enemy from the air and forward air controllers were embedded with the tracks and infantry. Piss poor when tasked with penetrating contested airspace over the south of Britain.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve looked at the pictures of it hanging in the museum multiple times in the past but for some reason didn’t notice the battle damage. You’re right, there are quite a few....

Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#41]
I can’t find a pic, but I had a very detailed Stuka model when I was a kid.  It had a battery and you wire wound the motor during the build.  When you spun the propeller it would “run” until you stopped it.  It had a working bomb trapeze too.  My best model build, but alas my mother hated it hanging from the ceiling in my room and would attack it (breaking antennas, etc.) when dusting.

Link Posted: 6/15/2019 4:05:49 AM EDT
[#42]
The Stuka was the lovechild of WWI Ace Ernst Udet, who as early Luftwaffe Development Chief, put in place the policy that all Luffwaffe bombers have the capacity to be able to dive bomb, (silly especially with large bombers such as the HE-177).

The Stuka featured a sophisticated Recovery system for the Dive Bomb Attack.

The pilot pushed a bottom on the stick right after release of the bomb.

The aircraft would automatically climb back several thousand feet and then level out.

This was in case the crew blacked out from the severe G-stress of steep pull up from near vertical dives.

Most dive bombers attacked at 40-60 degree dives, but the Stuka could be used in near vertical dives for maximum accuracy according to Legendary British Test Pilot Eric Brown

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_87
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 6:04:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Yay Nazi's!

Link Posted: 6/15/2019 6:22:11 AM EDT
[#44]
There's more hysteria over the Nazis now than there was in 1941.

Go outside, take a breath of fresh air and quit worrying yourselves to death over the Nazis. Most of the actual Nazis left in the world are either pushing up daisies or shitting their adult diapers while slobbering to the tune of the Horst Wessel Lied.

If you want a dystopian regime to worry about that is actually working very hard to fuck you and your entire way of life in the ass, look no further than the communists. Unlike the Nazis, you can find them literally everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Neat, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I’ve looked at the pictures of it hanging in the museum multiple times in the past but for some reason didn’t notice the battle damage. You’re right, there are quite a few....

https://i.redd.it/63z0uir73ko11.jpg
View Quote
Yep.  The plaque on the wall will point out where to look.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
There's more hysteria over the Nazis now than there was in 1941.

Go outside, take a breath of fresh air and quit worrying yourselves to death over the Nazis. Most of the actual Nazis left in the world are either pushing up daisies or shitting their adult diapers while slobbering to the tune of the Horst Wessel Lied.

If you want a dystopian regime to worry about that is actually working very hard to fuck you and your entire way of life in the ass, look no further than the communists. Unlike the Nazis, you can find them literally everywhere.
View Quote
That’s truth......at least here anyway. But a friend of mine in LEJ family still talk about their SS Officer Uncle like he got a raw deal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Bochmann
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nazi's are given site staff jobs in hell.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Freinds, even if they inflated Rudels kill record x2, it would still be high.
As far as who is the worst, Nazis or Commies, the Commies have killed more people than the Nazis ever dreamed of.
Yet we don't see the terrible nashing of teeth when commies are mentioned like we do with nazis.
Nazis and Commies are really the same thing.
Not much difference.

Our home grown nazi/antifa/junior communist/democrate socialists are the same types.  They believe that because it's them and not mao, stalin, or hitler, it would be different.
It would not be so.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stuka Ace...

Or was it Marat?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top