Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/24/2018 10:44:42 PM EDT
This is my Star Wars display in my home office. Currently 2 X-wings, Red 5 and Red Leader, and Gold Leader Y-wing. I have another X-wing under construction that will be finished as Red 2.

The models are 1/24 scale, the X-wings are about 22” long, and the Y-wing is about 27” long.

I need to finish the Death Star bases, want to frame them in wood to give them a more finished look. I’ll get around to that hopefully this winter. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Those look great, and I like the DS base.  I wish I had the patience to build kits like I used to.  I've got a mini Millennium Falcon to build along with a larger one and a BSG Viper.  I may just sell them since they're sitting in the closet gathering dust.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, I really enjoyed building these models.

I love to build these resin kits, but I hate to paint! I’m not blessed with that talent, so I farm the paint work out to a buddy of mine who is really good with an airbrush.

I also have a studio scale Snowspeeder kit. I’ll be building that over the winter.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool!  There's a guy on Facebook that builds big AT-ATs and is working on a massive Star Destroyer.

I have some models, airbrush, all that jazz.  I like building, but yeah, I'm also not that good at painting.  my Tamiya Tiger has been sitting un-worked on for several years now cause I'm afraid I'll ruin it with paint!
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to get that Tiger painted, I can give you the contact info for my painter. He does amazing work and is very, very reasonable.

Actually, here’s a link to the paintwork WIP Ben did on my Red Leader.

If you wish to have him paint your Tiger, there is a link to contact him directly on Modelermagic.

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=101677
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I want to see a full ISD model in 1:24 scale.  Or even a Nebulon B frigate in 1:24.

And when you get more acreage, the Supremacy and then a Death Star at that scale.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I’d love to have a big Star Destroyer. There are a few big resin kits of them out there, about 44” long.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the room for something that massive.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I love that well-worn and dirty finish on space ship models.  He nailed it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Nicely done.

I have eyed those kits before, but was too cheap to buy one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Those are bad-ass.  I used to build models hardcore but stopped about 5 years ago.  I still got a closet with about a dozen kits that I'll get back to someday.  I lost the patience when our youngest came along, then it was guns and guitars.  I've always wanted a 24" star destroyer.  Star War, Star Trek, and armor were my passions.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys. They were a lot of fun to build.

I actually have 2 more studio scale x-wings on the way, I want to have Red1-Red6 in my collection.

Additionally, I have a Studio Scale Snowspeeder kit, and a 1/24 U-wing from Rogue One, both of which should be here next week.

The U-wing is a big model, at 41” long. That’s my winter project.

I may wind up selling the Snowspeeder kit, as I have a Master Replicas Snowspeeder in the collection already.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys. They were a lot of fun to build.

I actually have 2 more studio scale x-wings on the way, I want to have Red1-Red6 in my collection.

Additionally, I have a Studio Scale Snowspeeder kit, and a 1/24 U-wing from Rogue One, both of which should be here next week.

The U-wing is a big model, at 41” long. That’s my winter project.

I may wind up selling the Snowspeeder kit, as I have a Master Replicas Snowspeeder in the collection already.
View Quote
Where are you getting these at?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Where are you getting these at?
View Quote
Look around on Modelermagic.com.

The x-wing kits I have are now out of production. The Snowspeeder and the U-wing (among many others) can be found there.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Look around on Modelermagic.com.

The x-wing kits I have are now out of production. The Snowspeeder and the U-wing (among many others) can be found there.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote
I’ll give you a heads up, most all of the model kits you’ll find on Modelermagic are RESIN kits, not styrene kits.

If you’ve never worked with resin, it’s quite a bit different than a typical styrene model. Quite a lot more work to be done, and the techniques are a lot different to build them.

Usually, a lot of reinforcement needs to be added to the inner structure, so that they won’t sag over time. Some of these kits will come with an interior armature of some sort, but most, you are on your own to engineer and build the armature.

I’m happy to help you out in any way I can, but some good resource can be found on a couple of sites.
1) TheRPF.com
2) Studioscalemodelers.com
3) resinilluminati.com

Should you decide to build these ‘GK’ (garage kits...literally model kits designed an manufactured in someone’s garage), like I say, I’m happy to share what o have learned over the years.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh I've worked with a lot of resin. I know it's pitfalls LOL

Thanks for the links and the heads up.

I have been very close on multiple occasions buying one of Randy's Star Destroyer kits but never got around to doing it just because I end up seeing something gun-related I wanted LOL
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oh I've worked with a lot of resin. I know it's pitfalls LOL

Thanks for the links and the heads up.

I have been very close on multiple occasions buying one of Randy's Star Destroyer kits but never got around to doing it just because I end up seeing something gun-related I wanted LOL
View Quote
Fair enough. I didn’t know your experience level with resin, and I didn’t want you to be ‘surprised’ when you received a few lumps of resin in the mail! Lol

I’ve seen a few of Randy Coopers big Star Destroyers built up, and they are extremely impressive. Especially when you know what kind of work that goes into building one.

Wish I had the space for one....love to have one on my collection!
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Fair enough. I didn’t know your experience level with resin, and I didn’t want you to be ‘surprised’ when you received a few lumps of resin in the mail! Lol

I’ve seen a few of Randy Coopers big Star Destroyers built up, and they are extremely impressive. Especially when you know what kind of work that goes into building one.

Wish I had the space for one....love to have one on my collection!
View Quote
No worries... my first go-around with the resin kit was way back in 1995.

A Verlinden V100 Commando kit.

It was a pockmarked bubble filled kit that required a lot of filler.

Yeah I would love to have one of Randy's Star Destroyer kits. Someday I may end up getting one. It would be so beautiful with a light kit
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I hope you find a kit to your liking on Modelermagic.
Quite a bit of GK makers show their stuff there. Most of them have contact links there.

Please feel free to message me if you have any questions, or need a little help!

I’m not a master modeler, but I’ve learned a great deal in the few years I’ve been building SW models.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, I hope you find a kit to your liking on Modelermagic.
Quite a bit of GK makers show their stuff there. Most of them have contact links there.

Please feel free to message me if you have any questions, or need a little help!

I’m not a master modeler, but I’ve learned a great deal in the few years I’ve been building SW models.
View Quote
Yeah I have been looking on there and seen quite a few kits that interest me.

I will and thanks for the help!

Don't sell yourself short - Your Star Wars kits look pretty damn good
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you!

Like I say, I’ve had fun doing them.
I don’t know if I mentioned it, but the X-wings have an armature that allows the wings to open and close. They are also lit with LED’s....although I rarely light them up, or move the wings. Lol.

The Y-wing is also lit, engines and cockpit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thank you!

Like I say, I’ve had fun doing them.
I don’t know if I mentioned it, but the X-wings have an armature that allows the wings to open and close. They are also lit with LED’s....although I rarely light them up, or move the wings. Lol.

The Y-wing is also lit, engines and cockpit.
View Quote
That's awesome.

I have a Galactica, Venator Star Destroyer.and a Kilngon D7 that has lights.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Studio Scale Snowspeeder kit arrived.

Not sure if I’ll build this, as I already have a Master Replicas Snowspeeder in my collection.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Studio Scale Snowspeeder kit arrived.

Not sure if I’ll build this, as I already have a Master Replicas Snowspeeder in my collection.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/284805/20005FC1-F7EB-43FD-9102-D0F183599F2E_jpeg-728678.JPG
View Quote
Wow that thing is huge
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#25]
A few of my humble models not near the quality of your studio scale -

Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Fine Molds 1/48 scale X-Wing I need to finish
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice models! I particularly like the Republic Star Destroyer.

I have the same kit, but I’m too busy building resin kits to get to it!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nice models! I particularly like the Republic Star Destroyer.

I have the same kit, but I’m too busy building resin kits to get to it!
View Quote
Thanks...the Venator has 1700 feet of fiber optic cable in it. It was a lot of freaking holes to drill...
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice job. I have a Zevezda Star Destroyer in my stash, I’ll build it one of these days. Drilling it for fiber is what keeps me from jumping on it!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nice job. I have a Zevezda Star Destroyer in my stash, I’ll build it one of these days. Drilling it for fiber is what keeps me from jumping on it!
View Quote
How is the quality? I have been eyeing that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice kit.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nice kit.
View Quote
Cool...It might be on my list for this Xmas.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Get it. You’ll like it.
Lots of upgrade potential.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Get it. You’ll like it.
Lots of upgrade potential.
View Quote
I was looking on Amazon they have a light kit for it as well however if I get one and put lights in it I'll probably just get a Madman lighting kit it's a bit more expandable and I like being able to put different lights in it.

If you want to make it more like the movie filming miniature you almost need to use yellow lights, since they used actual incandescent bulbs for the lighting effects. Newer white LEDs won't have the same effect
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#35]
One of these days i’ll get around to building it.
I prefer the ‘Rogue One’ ish look, I think they used blue for engine lights, and white for windows/hangar.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
One of these days i’ll get around to building it.
I prefer the ‘Rogue One’ ish look, I think they used blue for engine lights, and white for windows/hangar.
View Quote
Yeah they did of course it's all CGI.

I know when they did the isd's for The Empire Strikes Back the lights were more whiter than in A New Hope and I like the way they switched the bridge antenna from being vertical to more horizontal between the shield emitters, and I may end up building more of a Empire Strikes Back Star Destroyer than A New Hope
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Pick up the Japanese version of Star Wars Chronicles. Great reference pics in that book.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Pick up the Japanese version of Star Wars Chronicles. Great reference pics in that book.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#39]
You lack of Tie Fighters is... disturbing, Rebel SCUM!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You lack of Tie Fighters is... disturbing, Rebel SCUM!
View Quote
Actually, I’d love to have a Studio Scale Tie fighter or two in my collection.

There ARE kits out there for them, the problem is that the ‘wings/solar panels’, whatever you call them, were originally made of a material called KoolShade. This was a brass and fabric louvre material that was used as sunshades for windows. It is nearly extinct, and when you DO find enough to make a SS Tie fighter, it’s a thousand dollars or more (a LOT more!). And it’s kind of difficult to cut to shape into the wing panels....and you only get one shot! Screw it up, and it’s an expensive, and maybe irreplaceable mistake!!

The company who made it is still around (in the UK, I believe), and while they make a similar product, it’s a very different look and texture than the original.

There are a few ‘resin wing’ Tie fighter kits out there, but the wing panels look like crap. If I were to score some original KoolShade at a decent price, I’d totally go for building one.

There are a couple of SS Vader Tie Advanced kits out there, but I never really cared for that ship. I have a die cast model of one made by Code 3 Replicas, but I probably wouldn’t do a resin mode of one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Pretty nice
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#42]
@jkirkon

One thing I am looking for is a Monogram Babylon 5 Dtarfury kit.

If you happen to see one that has a decent price on it let me know
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
@jkirkon

View Quote
Is this kit still in production?

If it is, you might get in touch with Stevens International.
They are my LHS, and they have, or can get, pretty much anything.

I’m on a business trip now, but I can pop by there this weekend and ask if they have one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I’m on a business trip now, but I can pop by there this weekend and ask if they have one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@jkirkon

No unfortunately it is not in current production. I keep hoping that Monogram would re-release it but so far they have not.

If you're not doing anything and you go by there check and see if they have one let me know what the price is if they do I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#45]
I’ve got to go there this weekend anyway. I’ll ask if they have one in inventory.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I’ve got to go there this weekend anyway. I’ll ask if they have one in inventory.
View Quote
Outstanding thank you sir!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#47]
No worries.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#48]
@Dog1

Just stopped at Stevens International, they do not have the Babylon 5 kit you are looking for.

He said eBay...but you already knew that..
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@Dog1

Just stopped at Stevens International, they do not have the Babylon 5 kit you are looking for.

He said eBay...but you already knew that..
View Quote
I appreciate it! Yeah I knew that I just don't want to spend that much LOL. Here's to hoping that monogram at some point in time in the future will rerelease the kits.

Again thanks bro I really appreciate it!
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#50]
No worries
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top