Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/19/2023 12:20:02 PM EDT
Student loan repayments are set to begin again starting in October. I think this will be what finally kicks the economy over the edge.  45 million people are about to have an avg $400 monthly bill hitting their bank accounts in October. Of the 45 million people with student loans, only 2% of borrowers have been paying on them since they were paused in 2020.

Most people have probably completely forgotten about them and haven't been budgeting for them. Many people have probably bought cars, houses or are renting apartments that they otherwise wouldn't have had they accounted for their student loans hitting.

I am happy that the payments will finally start hitting again, this is going to help deflate the bubble.

Student loan repayment could hit economy hard

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
That 2% is misleading. Why pay down the 0% loans when high yield accounts are getting 5% interest. Many are stacking cash for a payment before interest kicks back in.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That 2% is misleading. Why pay down the 0% loans when high yield accounts are getting 5% interest. Many are stacking cash for a payment before interest kicks back in.
View Quote
The vast majority haven't been doing that. Out of sight, out of mind. And for the small percentage that have been preparing, expect a reverse wealth effect as they watch their savings shrink
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I graduated in 1998. I went to a private college.  I paid mine off earlier in the year.   They act like it's impossible, but in reality they want to spend money on other things like vacations every year etc.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Bulllllllllshit!!

Not gonna happen.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I await nourishment from their delicious, salty tears.

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Student loan payments were paused in 2020?

Someone forgot to tell me, as I've made my payments without interruption.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Even when rates were rock bottom, I've never seen 0-2% student loans. More like 5-7%.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL.  The % of those doing what you're suggesting is likely less than the 2% that have been paying.  You're giving WAY too much credit to the average American.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

We’ve been doing that on my wife’s loans. Ready to buttfuck those things when the lever is flipped and standing by to watch the wailing and gnashing of teeth
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Student loan payments were paused in 2020?

Someone forgot to tell me, as I've made my payments without interruption.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#13]
So another massive dumpster fire that the government lit, and then will try to put out with gasoline?

SOP really.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Good.  Fuck the freeloaders.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good.  Fuck the freeloaders.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I graduated in 1998. I went to a private college.  I paid mine off earlier in the year.   They act like it's impossible, but in reality they want to spend money on other things like vacations every year etc.
View Quote

And they've been brainwashed into thinking it should have always been free.

But yeah,  priorities are not a thing post-modern humans are good with.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

The answer is simple. If you were to keep paying the same amount every month during the no interest period 100% of your payment would be applied towards the principal. The person that does this would have had their student loans paid off years in advance than the same person who didn’t keep making payments during the Student Loan payment suspension.

Compound interest is a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Imagine that. Wanting to pump money into the economy instead of indentured servitude to big banks in bed with the corrupt government. Vacations every year, I mean what is this, a first world country?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#21]
What kind of opportunities will this present to those who actually have money and want good deals
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Conservatives: Charlie Brown

Liberals: Lucy

Student loans: the football

Good luck in 2024!
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ve used the initial pause to pay off all CC debt, max out Roths, build a nice savings account. I have a private loan that I kept paying on, initially paid the fed loan amount on this to cut it in half and recently resumed payments on the 0% interest to get that principal down. I’m ready, have budgeted to continue my retirement investments and loan payments - but will hate it when interest resumes. I do not think many others have done this.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#24]
So, a year of pain to remind everyone to vote Democrat in 2024?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

The kids with the liberal arts degrees, and 18th century black cat arts degrees are stacking their savings into high yield accounts to prepare for the 0% loan repayments. Ok bud, these people will never in their lives save anything or make decisions like this.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#27]
It’s gonna pump the brakes on a lot of peoples spending.

I didn’t pay anything on the loans that got stopped.  I paid off other debts with the extra.  
I know a few people that truly believed that uncle Joe was going to write off a bunch of student loans and have already spent that monthly money.
On cars, housing, etc.   things that the bank will actually come and get.

It’s gonna be a straw on the camels back
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#28]
They aren't going to pay.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

that's not how it works
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’d bet less than 2% are doing that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

that's not how it works
View Quote

I've seen data that suggests that most people with loans are actually deeper in debt now because they used the monthly savings from not paying student loans to secure down payments on even more financed items.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think this will be what finally kicks the economy over the edge.  45 million people are about to have an avg $400 monthly bill hitting their bank accounts in October. Of the 45 million people with student loans, only 2% of borrowers have been paying on them since they were paused in 2020.

Most people have probably completely forgotten about them and haven’t been budgeting for them. Many people have probably bought cars, houses or are renting apartments that they otherwise wouldn’t have had they accounted for their student loans hitting.

I am happy that the payments will finally start hitting again, this is going to help deflate the bubble.
View Quote

Got to get more money for ukraine!
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've seen data that suggests that most people with loans are actually deeper in debt now because they used the monthly savings from not paying student loans to secure down payments on even more financed items.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's not how it works

That’s likely true.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Paid mine and my wife’s diligently for 10 years (she had a higher rate). Got sick of accruing interest, wrote two checks and said fuck it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Sweet, I'll finally be able to find that cheap fishing skiff i've been looking for.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I really like that seersucker jacket. I wish those would make a comeback.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Prepare for the economy to tank in October right before the holiday season and continue the pain train with poor holiday figures.

2008, here we come!
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That’s likely true.
View Quote

concur.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Prepare for the economy to tank in October right before the holiday season and continue the pain train with poor holiday figures.

2008, here we come!
View Quote

They will just ramp up ‘defense’ spending more to offset.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They aren't going to pay.
View Quote

Oh yes they will even if they dont want to.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Swamp will kick the can again before October
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

It took you 20+ years?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, they think they're going to start.  I think they may be in for a surprise.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

youseriousclark.jpg
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Likely be pushed out again until after the 2024 election as liberals can't think beyond the moment.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top