Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2023 8:33:59 PM EDT
I currently work at a job at which I made a verbal 2-year commitment. Not really a formal thing, it’s just a word of honor arrangement. I have recently been approached about a job that would pay more money and is more in line with my interests and experience. My wife is due to have a baby in August and my commitment ends in October, but the new job would start in June or July.

I want to honor the oath I made, but this is a good opportunity for me and would allow me to better provide for my family, especially long term. Any advice from godly men?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
If the company you work for needed to get rid of you and cut head count, would they honor it?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If the company you work for needed to get rid of you and cut head count, would they honor it? Would they up the pay to match the offer you received?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Providing for your growing family is your main job.  No need to explain that to anyone, IMO.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Why was the commitment made?  Was it for a pay amount or relocating fees?  Or just a general, “yeah I’m in for at least two years” in an interview?

If I give something up as an employer, I have them sign a two year contract, but that also means I owe them even if they don’t work out, so I rarely do it.

Unless there was a good reason the commitment was made, I’d say you made it long enough and can leave.  I’m an employer and I would understand.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It's really simple to keep a commitment, you just do what you said you would do. As you're finding out, though, sometimes it's hard to do given the context of everything. Simple and easy are not always synonyms.

On a more practical note, have you thought about how August will go? If you want to take time off to be with your little one and/or help your wife, are you going to be able to do so with only being 1 or 2 months into the new job? Will you have to take unpaid time off? Will the company you've been with for coming on two years be more flexible? Just another angle to think about.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Talk to the boss, level with him. He might just be happy to see you move onto greener pastures.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#7]
no question.

this is not an issue of honor anymore when dealing with Employers.
if the current Employer valued you, you would already be sitting in a job with the right $$$ to not make you think about moving on.

I try to be like you with high moral standards of conduct.. but in things like this with employers - you are good to go.

your only commitments as of right now are God, your wife and coming child.

go forth with a clean conscience.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Can the new job hold it for you until Oct?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 12:50:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I gave up on the idea of loyalty to a job long ago. Other than the nice warm feeling I got from being loyal it just costs me something. In 30 years I spent working for large global, corporate entities they never held up their end of the bargain in the long run. Many times the guy who hired me was great and never waivered in the reciprocal agreement but somewhere down the road he got replaced by somebody who only took advantage of my loyalty.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's really simple to keep a commitment, you just do what you said you would do. As you're finding out, though, sometimes it's hard to do given the context of everything. Simple and easy are not always synonyms.

On a more practical note, have you thought about how August will go? If you want to take time off to be with your little one and/or help your wife, are you going to be able to do so with only being 1 or 2 months into the new job? Will you have to take unpaid time off? Will the company you've been with for coming on two years be more flexible? Just another angle to think about.
View Quote

The new employer is willing to give me all of September off and total WFH for 3-6 months after that. I would be entitled to 3 months of FMLA through the current employer.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:33:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you talked about it with your current employer?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:11:29 AM EDT
[#12]
The way to get out of any arrangement is to tell the other party “Something has changed.”
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The new employer is willing to give me all of September off and total WFH for 3-6 months after that. I would be entitled to 3 months of FMLA through the current employer.
View Quote

no brainer.

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

no brainer.

View Quote

Yep, it seems like a general consensus that I should leave. Thanks for the replies all.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Not sure of total context of your decision but I personally always rely on these verses for my word.

Matthew 5

33 “Again, you have heard that the ancients were told, ‘You shall not make false vows, but shall fulfill your vows to the Lord.’ 34 But I say to you, take no oath at all, neither by heaven, for it is the throne of God, 35 nor by the earth, for it is the footstool of His feet, nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Nor shall you take an oath by your head, for you cannot make a single hair white or black. 37 But make sure your statement is, ‘Yes, yes’ or ‘No, no’; anything beyond these is of evil origin.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not sure of total context of your decision but I personally always rely on these verses for my word.

Matthew 5

33 “Again, you have heard that the ancients were told, ‘You shall not make false vows, but shall fulfill your vows to the Lord.’ 34 But I say to you, take no oath at all, neither by heaven, for it is the throne of God, 35 nor by the earth, for it is the footstool of His feet, nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Nor shall you take an oath by your head, for you cannot make a single hair white or black. 37 But make sure your statement is, ‘Yes, yes’ or ‘No, no’; anything beyond these is of evil origin.
View Quote

Very true. Food for thought. I think what I might do is try to talk it through with my current employer before accepting the new position. Something just doesn’t quite sit right with me just giving notice and leaving.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Not enough information to say yea or nay, but I will pray that you may make a decision that is pleasing to God.

Some things for you to consider (though I'm sure you've already thought of these):

1. How does leaving or staying give glory to God?

2. How does leaving or staying bring you closer to God?

3. I disagree with those saying you should not be loyal to your employer because the employer would not be loyal to you.  Even if the latter were true in your case, that's no reason to break your word.

4. However, as someone else already mentioned, there is a big difference between, "If you hire me, you have my word that I will stay for at least two years," and, "Yeah, this sounds great, I don't see myself looking for anything in a couple of years."

5. How would this affect your current employer?  Would it catch them by surprise and leave them in a bad spot (which is poor planning on their part, but that's beside the point) or would they just move on to the next hire without major disruptions?  Do they treat you well or like garbage?  If the latter, then they are not holding up their end of the bargain; therefore, I would have no qualms about leaving because I'm sure your two-year commitment was not made with the understanding or agreement that they would treat you like garbage.

6. Ultimately, if this new opportunity is what is best for your family, I would like think that the employer would understand and, if they are worth your loyalty, would want the best for you.  July is still two months away, which is hopefully enough time for them to find a replacement and for you to train your replacement.  Perhaps you could even consider an arrangement that you can help them on a part-time basis if needed; especially, since you'll have all September off from your new job.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not enough information to say yea or nay, but I will pray that you may make a decision that is pleasing to God.

Some things for you to consider (though I'm sure you've already thought of these):

3. I disagree with those saying you should not be loyal to your employer because the employer would not be loyal to you.  Even if the latter were true in your case, that's no reason to break your word.

4. However, as someone else already mentioned, there is a big difference between, "If you hire me, you have my word that I will stay for at least two years," and, "Yeah, this sounds great, I don't see myself looking for anything in a couple of years."

5. How would this affect your current employer?  Would it catch them by surprise and leave them in a bad spot (which is poor planning on their part, but that's beside the point) or would they just move on to the next hire without major disruptions?  Do they treat you well or like garbage?  If the latter, then they are not holding up their end of the bargain; therefore, I would have no qualms about leaving because I'm sure your two-year commitment was not made with the understanding or agreement that they would treat you like garbage.

6. Ultimately, if this new opportunity is what is best for your family, I would like think that the employer would understand and, if they are worth your loyalty, would want the best for you.  July is still two months away, which is hopefully enough time for them to find a replacement and for you to train your replacement.  Perhaps you could even consider an arrangement that you can help them on a part-time basis if needed; especially, since you'll have all September off from your new job.
View Quote

Sage advice!
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey, OP, this enumeration above provides everything you need to make a decision, IMO. Prayers and best wishes for you and your family.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#20]
What did you actually agree to?

If you agreed to stay for two years, but did not specify a salary, I'd tell the boss that I'd stay for the salary proffered by the new company.

If you agreed to stay the two years at a previously negotiated salary, I'd tell the boss that I'd like to be released from the obligation.

Men need to honor their word, even when it hurts.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep, it seems like a general consensus that I should leave. Thanks for the replies all.
View Quote

Unless your current employer has done something wrong to you, you made a 2 year commitment. If your word does not mean anything to your current employer, why should it mean anything to your new employer? That sounds much harsher than I meant it to, but it is basically what is happening. Have your talked to your current employer, maybe they would understand and release you from your commitment to them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Unless your current employer has done something wrong to you, you made a 2 year commitment. If your word does not mean anything to your current employer, why should it mean anything to your new employer? That sounds much harsher than I meant it to, but it is basically what is happening. Have your talked to your current employer, maybe they would understand and release you from your commitment to them.
View Quote

My plan is to talk to them and see if they will understand my position and release me from my commitment because (1) as y'all have mentioned, I gave my word that I would stay; and (2) I would have to continue to interact with the current employer down the line and I would like, if at all possible, to maintain a good relationship with them. I will also try to seek the latest start date possible to give the current employer as much time as possible to find a replacement.

As for trying to work for both employers simultaneously, the nature of the work I do absolutely precludes that from a legal standpoint.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I always felt that I worked to live, I didn't live to work.  My job was to support my lifestyle, my lifestyle wasn't to support my job.  I guess everyone else has to work out how they view working for themselves.

I would have an honest discussion with your current employer.  He might release you from your two year commitment, or he may compensate pay to make it up to the new offer.  Or he might just say, Bye.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I always felt that I worked to live, I didn't live to work.  My job was to support my lifestyle, my lifestyle wasn't to support my job.  I guess everyone else has to work out how they view working for themselves.

I would have an honest discussion with your current employer.  He might release you from your two year commitment, or he may compensate pay to make it up to the new offer.  Or he might just say, Bye.
View Quote

The job I have now is a state job with a fixed salary. I'm already maxed out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Poof......
gone
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#26]
One thing I have learned with coaching and training dozens of people. If you are a professional, then leaving a job just for more money does not always = more happiness.

I look at job changes as an opportunity to grow your network, enhance your skill set and move to an organization that you believe best fits your needs, the extra money is a bonus. This also depends on the level of increased comp, meaning nobody should turn down a huge bump in salary, but when all the factors are put together, money should not drive the decision.

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
He said he has a state job. Quitting isn't going to take food off of some small business owner's family table.

Sounds like leaving would be better for him in the long run and better for his family. We do not work, or at least I don't, for an employer. I work for my family and the employer is just a conduit for that. If I can work "better", I'll do it for my family. As a husband and father, my duty is to my family first. Subjugating their best interest for honor smacks of pride more than prudence.

Ultimately, it's just business. And employment is not the same as a supply contract, sale of material, or something like that.

If it was a private small to medium sized business, I'd see your points somewhat. But the state or fed government? Stab between the 2nd and 3rd rib, twist, pull... go get paid and have a better job.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
no question.

if the current Employer valued you, you would already be sitting in a job with the right $$$ to not make you think about moving on.

I try to be like you with high moral standards of conduct.. but in things like this with employers - you are good to go.

View Quote

Yes, and it wasn't like he was actively searching for a new job, it found him. Give your current boss a chance to match the new offer and if he can't it's two weeks notice and goodbye.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I stayed at a job when I should've taken another offer because I felt like it was the right and honorable thing to do. I got screwed over in the end. Never again. From now on when it comes to business decisions, I'm looking out for number 1.

Take the offer and run OP.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My plan is to talk to them and see if they will understand my position and release me from my commitment because (1) as y'all have mentioned, I gave my word that I would stay; and (2) I would have to continue to interact with the current employer down the line and I would like, if at all possible, to maintain a good relationship with them. I will also try to seek the latest start date possible to give the current employer as much time as possible to find a replacement.

As for trying to work for both employers simultaneously, the nature of the work I do absolutely precludes that from a legal standpoint.
View Quote

Just FYI, I want to stress that I did not mean that like it reads. If we had been talking, it would have been a "food for thought" question, not an accusation that you are being dishonest or anything. I hope everything works out for the best for you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
no question.

View Quote

This is kind of a sad POV
You have no idea what "good" employers do for their people.

No matter who the current employer was or is, how is it not a matter of honor?
Wouldn't it be each employer individually,  love the wide net you cast over employers.
Even if an employer is not a "great" employer are we to repay evil with evil?

1 Thessalonians 5
15 See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people.
1 Peter 3
8 To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; 9 not returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing.

Thus if you gave your word you should abide by your word, but we do not know the whole circumstance here.

As an employer in 2010-13, we had to give our employees a pay cut.  We hung on as long as we could but could not take the losses anymore.
Most of our long term employees thanked us since most of their friends had already lost their jobs or received pay cuts years before they did.
We could not afford to pay more if we wanted to.

While they all received pay checks, we lived on credit cards  and lost almost everything.  

During Covid, we watched our office turn into a home school.  Work did not get completed as it should but how is it the women's fault that the schools shut down.
We were thanked for not doing the mask thing and being patient while they balanced homeschooling and work in our office.

Fast forward today.
Our team makes equivalent to their union counter parts and are always thankful except for a few stragglers.
Our team is run as a meritocracy and not how long people have been there or how many years they have in the industry

They all know our Company Verse as it is in our Logo

Colossians 3:23

23 Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men,

Now most of the people on the team are not Christians, but they know we are.
We honor our team and shower them with appreciation.

None of this is meant as a brag, but a demonstration of there are still employers who value Gods word and try to be a good steward over Gods possessions.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I currently work at a job at which I made a verbal 2-year commitment. Not really a formal thing, it’s just a word of honor arrangement. I have recently been approached about a job that would pay more money and is more in line with my interests and experience. My wife is due to have a baby in August and my commitment ends in October, but the new job would start in June or July.

I want to honor the oath I made, but this is a good opportunity for me and would allow me to better provide for my family, especially long term. Any advice from godly men?
View Quote

Fuck’em!
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Matthew 5

View Quote

God just offered him a new path....
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is kind of a sad POV
You have no idea what "good" employers do for their people.

No matter who the current employer was or is, how is it not a matter of honor?
Wouldn't it be each employer individually,  love the wide net you cast over employers.
Even if an employer is not a "great" employer are we to repay evil with evil?

1 Thessalonians 5
15 See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people.
1 Peter 3
8 To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; 9 not returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing.

Thus if you gave your word you should abide by your word, but we do not know the whole circumstance here.

As an employer in 2010-13, we had to give our employees a pay cut.  We hung on as long as we could but could not take the losses anymore.
Most of our long term employees thanked us since most of their friends had already lost their jobs or received pay cuts years before they did.
We could not afford to pay more if we wanted to.

While they all received pay checks, we lived on credit cards  and lost almost everything.  

During Covid, we watched our office turn into a home school.  Work did not get completed as it should but how is it the women's fault that the schools shut down.
We were thanked for not doing the mask thing and being patient while they balanced homeschooling and work in our office.

Fast forward today.
Our team makes equivalent to their union counter parts and are always thankful except for a few stragglers.
Our team is run as a meritocracy and not how long people have been there or how many years they have in the industry

They all know our Company Verse as it is in our Logo

Colossians 3:23

23 Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men,

Now most of the people on the team are not Christians, but they know we are.
We honor our team and shower them with appreciation.

None of this is meant as a brag, but a demonstration of there are still employers who value Gods word and try to be a good steward over Gods possessions.
View Quote

I own a national business and also work in the medical field.
I've almost gone broke a couple of times going above and beyond for my employee's. many of whom are amazing contributors to my business in every way. I've been thru it all. in fact, I'm trying to get things back on track from paying my Office Manager full pay and bonuses while she was off work for 3 months with a Premature Baby and I had to pay 2 full time fill in's in that time. this years payroll just got upended.

don't get all high and mighty on what people do and don't know.

however...
in the Healthcare field I've been in for 30 years.
Admin could care less about you. from the lowest point of management to the CEO.

its  dead end state job...the state will survive.

BTW.. I was employed by Ascension at one time. worst Christian Value set ever.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:44:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've almost gone broke a couple of times going above and beyond for my employee's. many of whom are amazing contributors to my business in every way. I've been thru it all. in fact, I'm trying to get things back on track from paying my Office Manager full pay and bonuses while she was off work for 3 months with a Premature Baby and I had to pay 2 full time fill in's in that time. this years payroll just got upended.

however...
Admin could care less about you. from the lowest point of management to the CEO.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

however...

Not sure of the point that is being made when reconciled with this.

Quoted:
no question.

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:06:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
no question.

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top