Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2022 8:31:49 AM EDT
Recently a friend of mine suffered a stroke. Fortunately she will be ok. Both husband and wife own pistols and long guns.

The discussion came about that the New Jersey “DMV” will take away her Drivers License. This led to the question of her (NJ Firearms Identification card) FID/Weapons being also seized. I’m not sure if this type of situation would be a state /federal (or both) issue.

Does anyone have experience with this type of situation? I suggested contacting a Lawyer.

Could the husband take possession of the weapons??

A drivers license can be re-obtained once she is cleared medically but, getting back her firearms would most likely be near impossible in this state.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe every state issues a Identification card. It looks like the DL but just says ID card.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe every state issues a Identification card. It looks like the DL but just says ID card.
View Quote

You are correct. My question is does the State/Fed have the authority to seize weapons and ID cards due a medical issue in this case Stroke.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You are correct. My question is does the State/Fed have the authority to seize weapons and ID cards due a medical issue in this case Stroke.
View Quote

i think there was some humming and hawing about it for severe mental illness with deliberate non medication (like paranoid scitophrenia refusing to take pills). The guy in florida who flew into airport then got his gun fromchecked bacg and shot up the terminal was unmedicated severe mental illness and that is when i reemebber it
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Your state....ask an attorney in your state.
Federally, it depends.
One of the prohibiting factors on the Form 4473:
Adjudicated as a Mental Defective: A determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that a person, as a result of marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease: (1) is a danger to himself or to others; or (2) lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage his own affairs. This term shall include: (1) a finding of insanity by a court in a criminal case; and (2) those persons found incompetent to stand trial or found not guilty by reason of lack of mental responsibility.

Simply a "stroke". No.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

He is referring to a New Jersey Firearm Purchaser Identification Card.

https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/Fars/

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
You need a “permission” card to purchase a firearm in NJ?

WTF

What are the State approved qualifications for permission? Can you purchase a firearm without a permission slip?

Does the Constitution not apply in NJ?
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Your state....ask an attorney in your state.
Federally, it depends.
One of the prohibiting factors on the Form 4473:

Simply a "stroke". No.
View Quote

(Not a lawyer)

The likely reason why he is concerned is that there is a question on the NJ FID, Pistol Purchase Permit, and CCW applications about medical conditions (separate from the questions about mental health history) with a follow-up requiring applicants who answer that they have had medical issues to provide detailed information about their condition/dx, an explanation about why the condition would not make it unsafe for them  to handle firearms, and information about their medical providers.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#8]
How does the state  find out a person has a stroke?
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How does the state  find out a person has a stroke?
View Quote

DMV might share data for revoked DL's.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I know In Missouri you can loose your drivers license for 6 months due to a seizure.

I don’t see how they could even think about seizing firearms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top