Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2023 7:03:53 PM EDT
I've never been a big fighting game fan, my last one being SF4 (I was awful it). Before that... Mortal Kombat on PS2? My friend gifted SF6 to me, so of course I felt obligated to play it.

I like it.

The biggest barrier to any fighting game is having to memorize control combos to use any special moves and actually have fun. They implemented a new "modern" control scheme that greatly lessens a lot of that. It simplifies basic attacks to light, medium, heavy - any of which will be a kick or punch depending on stance. You get more variety with the use of the so called auto button. A triple regular may be all kicks, while using that button will give a series of punches. Specials have their own dedicated button, most of which are activated by a single direction + button, but not all (ex: Ken's spin kick is still down, back diagonal, back, attack).

This allows you to focus on the other gameplay aspects instead, which there are many. Such as the drive meter that is consumed by specials, while also having its own distinct abilities (impact, parry, rush). There's the super meter that I'm actually able to make use of for once thanks to the modern controls. Countless more shit that I'm still learning. I'm only just scratching the surface.

For single player, the implemented a whole 20+ hour Yakuza style RPG that has you running around the world learning the main cast's styles and is actually pretty fun.

If you're already a Street Fighter fan, I have no doubt that you already own 6. If you're wanting to try out a fighting game as a newb, I would definitely recommend this one.

Here's an example of what can be done using the modern control scheme.

KEN Combo Guide (Modern Controls) – Street Fighter 6

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I've played the demo and watched hours of video (Mostly Justin Wong).
I'm interested in the game but lots of little things irk me and it's just not clicking.
Out of curiosity what platform do you have the game on?
Like you SF4 was the last one I took semi seriously.
Before that Street Fighter Alpha 3 was the last one I really got into.
These days I'm more likely to play King of Fighters XV, but I'm a long time SNK NEO•GEO guy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm playing it on PC. I switched to classic controls and managed to get into Platinum rank before falling back down to gold.

The drive system alone adds a ton of complexity to the game. I'm awful at countering drive impacts and I haven't worked into drive rushes very much yet - but they're essential to really do well. If someone is good at combos, they can chop a ton of your health off with rush while you're in a stun lock.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I ordered a leverless controller.

I'm tired of diagonals not consistently working with dpad, and keyboard doesn't feel quite right.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 1:55:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Y U Know Arcade stick bruh!!!

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I have somehow managed to climb into mid Diamond. I didn't think I'd get into this game anywhere near what I have. Now I'm even watching tournaments, which I've never done in my life.

Trying to go for that Master push.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have somehow managed to climb into mid Diamond. I didn't think I'd get into this game anywhere near what I have. Now I'm even watching tournaments, which I've never done in my life.

Trying to go for that Master push.
View Quote

Good luck.

I don't really like playing fighting games, but enjoy watching tournaments.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:34:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I can officially retire

Top Top