Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2022 8:47:54 PM EDT
For the first time in my life, I will be storing a vehicle over the winter. It will be garaged for the better part of 4 months, running the engine to Temp on occasion. It will be driven when there is no snow or salt on the roadways. Given the NE Ohio winters, that is unpredictable from November through March.  
The vehicle is a 2022 Ford Bronco with a 2.7 ltr, twin turbo. I normally run 87 octane (10% ethanol). Should I put non ethanol in the tank and run it through the injectors a bit before I garage it? Would regular unleaded be OK with Stabil?

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#1]
why
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
pahk it.

leave it on a battery tender.

full send.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For the first time in my life, I will be storing a vehicle over the winter. It will be garaged for the better part of 4 months, running the engine to Temp on occasion. It will be driven when there is no snow or salt on the roadways. Given the NE Ohio winters, that is unpredictable from November through March.  
The vehicle is a 2022 Ford Bronco with a 2.7 ltr, twin turbo. I normally run 87 octane (10% ethanol). Should I put non ethanol in the tank and run it through the injectors a bit before I garage it? Would regular unleaded be OK with Stabil?

View Quote

I would say non ethanol before would help. I am hoping mine doesn't come in in the middle of winter. Have a Badlands Sas on order.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I like to use non ethanol. I do the same with my old truck. Haven't had an issue. Also I spray the underneath with 6-8 cans of fluid film, even dry roads have a lot of residual salt flying around.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:Would regular unleaded be OK with Stabil?
View Quote

I routinely left my cars for 6-months at a time as duty called me westward. I would have my wife start them, when she thought of it, every few months.

The battery was always my biggest concern. A little trickle charger will help, modern cars have parasitic drains.

My two stroke fleet of motors get's the non-ethanal and Stabil in their fuel. The four-stroke fleet does as well and gets put on trickle chargers. The diesel tractor sits outside.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why
View Quote

If you never owned a car up in the rust belt you wouldn't understand. It is disgusting what it does to vehicles.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like to use non ethanol. I do the same with my old truck. Haven't had an issue. Also I spray the underneath with 6-8 cans of fluid film, even dry roads have a lot of residual salt flying around.
View Quote

Salt on the roads?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
this stuff is much better than fluid film:

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Extreme-Chain-Aerosol-Black/dp/B000R8EI08
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Fill tank with stabilizer and gas (less air = less condensation in the tank)

Unplug battery or hook to battery tender.

Park it.

Done.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you never owned a car up in the rust belt you wouldn't understand. It is disgusting what it does to vehicles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why

There's two approaches. You either re-up every 5 years or so, or you just run them until they literally fall apart.

With something like a Bronco, that probably does very well in the snow, it seems silly to store it when you could be using it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why

Ah, 10-4...
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it play nice with rubber?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#14]
edit
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Salt on the roads?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Salt on the roads?

Salt sucks but they were using the liquid brine shit that really Fucked things up. Liquid vehicle remover I call it
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#16]
4 months is nothing, I have an RV that sits 4-6 months at a time, sure the tank is 75 gallons, I fill it up, and might start it up once a month no problems.

Your over thinking the non ethanol and ethanol gas,  if you feel better then fill it with non ethanol gas.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
why
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#18]
1st thing always run premium 93 in turbo engines! There is a night/day difference in performance. Manufacturers HP ratings are with premium fuels. If you have a choice of ethanol free then do that and also Stabil. I’ve had low mileage vehicles stores winters and always use a fuel stabilizer and never had problems.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#19]
There is nothing OTC that stops ethanol from separating over time. Lots of snake oil is out there.

It's being driven occasionally so the very long term problems won't show up. So:
1) Consume as much E10 as you can, then Fill with E0.  Worry no more.
2) Keep the battery charged, it helps preserve both the battery and alternator.
3) Engage in a war with mice!
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

With something like a Bronco, that probably does very well in the snow, it seems silly to store it when you could be using it.
View Quote

I have a 13 year old Chevy Silverado 4x4. I'm not going to let Ohio winters destroy my Bronco. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Now sure where your storing the Bronco attach garage or barn ? Damn mice can be a problem for your interior and wiring .
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have a 13 year old Chevy Silverado 4x4. I'm not going to let Ohio winters destroy my Bronco. YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are just tools to me. Use them, when they break get new ones.

Seems like equipment that sits ends up having more issues than stuff that is used regularly.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Fuel injection doesn’t have carburetor problems with ethanol gas. Just park it but unhook the battery. Start it once a month or don’t. Winter isn’t that long.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I used to put away a couple vehicles for 5 months out of the year. The only things I did were connect them to battery tenders and distribute dryer sheets around the engine bay and interior (works as a mouse repellent). In the spring they got fresh fuel and an oil change.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#26]
It's just a car
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I go with Stabil, a battery tender, dryer sheets and an electronic mouse repeller for my cars in winter storage.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
pahk it.

leave it on a battery tender.

full send.
View Quote
That's what I do.  Park it with clean, or very low mileage oil in it.  Battery tender, let it sit till spring.  Just run the A/C for a while before you park it to keep the oil distributed better.  I don't have room in the garage, so the wing and antennas come off and it gets covered.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can't find E0 above 90 octane in my AO, and I need to run 93 in the car.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I have had cars start just fine after sitting with the same ethanol gas in their tank for a year.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There's two approaches. You either re-up every 5 years or so, or you just run them until they literally fall apart.

View Quote
If he's got another capable winter beater, why not get some more years out of it?  I would have run my WJ in the winter if it didn't start getting dangerously rusty and saved the WK2 for towing/summer/spring/fall.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Fill tank with stabilizer and gas (less air = less condensation in the tank)

Unplug battery or hook to battery tender.

Park it.

Done.
View Quote

Give it a good wash first, I would pull the battery though
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They are just tools to me. Use them, when they break get new ones.

Seems like equipment that sits ends up having more issues than stuff that is used regularly.
View Quote
If it sits on dirt, or grass, or gravel that doesn't have a moisture barrier underneath, yes.  I keep mine parked on asphalt, and it's WAY cleaner than if I let it near salt.  I have 9 month insurance on it, so I can't drive it on the road in Dec, Jan and Feb.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Salt will be on the roads untill spring rains wash it off....

Also.... Why?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At that price?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I run non-ethanol in my roadster year round. During the winter, it stays on a battery tender.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Same here. I have not had any issues with E10. (I'm actually considering switching to E85 in that car for performance reasons.)

Quoted:
Also I spray the underneath with 6-8 cans of fluid film, even dry roads have a lot of residual salt flying around.

That is why my 'toys' don't come out until there is no trace of salt visible anywhere, which generally means at least several heavy rains after everything has melted. There are often literal piles of salt that persist for some time at certain intersections here. Until it's all gone, the nice cars and bikes don't come out. It's not worth it.

Quoted:
It will be driven when there is no snow or salt on the roadways. Given the NE Ohio winters, that is unpredictable from November through March.

Around here, you are absolutely going to be exposed to salt from once they start until spring finally arrives (and possibly even a bit later). Again, it is absolutely not worth it - if you are going to the trouble of keeping it away from salt, then keep it away from salt. That doesn't just mean don't drive when it's freshly salted, it means don't do it when there is any salt around.

As I said, we often have visible piles at intersections, and our roads are quite often literally white from salt, even when they haven't run the trucks that recently. You need several heavy rains after they've stopped putting salt down altogether before you have a chance of avoiding it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Stock GMT 800 brakes after 15 years in VA (we brine/salt 5ish times a year but a good rain usually comes in a week or so for a reset), Ohio can do this in 3-5 years.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

But still, it's a bronco, not anything rare or special.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I do not run my extra vehicles at all over the winter. They get parked and covered, and stay that way until spring unless I am doing mods over the winter.

I typically try to change the oil during storage prep, but that varies based on when it was otherwise changed. Gas tanks get filled and Stabil added just prior to storage. My car has an extra set of wheels with junk tires that get swapped on so I don't have to worry about flat-spotting at all. Battery tenders get rotated around periodically, as I do not have enough for each vehicle to have its own.

I have not had any kinds of issues whatsoever with this type of storage arrangement, and I've been doing it over a decade now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3561/20200204_200257-1263680.jpg

Stock GMT 800 brakes after 15 years in VA (we brine/salt 5ish times a year but a good rain usually comes in a week or so for a reset), Ohio can do this in 3-5 years.
View Quote
Brake rotors, even ones that are coated, don't last long either.  I've got the zinc coated ones on the WK2 now, super shiny, will see how they look after this winter.  Got them from Detroit Axle, hopefully the quality is decent.  Unless I'm going with EBC parts, I think most of the stuff is pretty similar garbage.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Same here. I have not had any issues with E10. (I'm actually considering switching to E85 in that car for performance reasons.)

View Quote
Not enough E85 in my AO for me to consider running it.  I'd have to buy it in bulk and store it at home.  There's WAY more places to get 90 E0 around here.  E10 doesn't seem to be an issue even in an 05 SRT-4.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Pour a can of Seafoam in, fill tank with premium non ethanol and drive to make sure its through all the fuel system.

Park and put on a battery tender.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not enough E85 in my AO for me to consider running it.  I'd have to buy it in bulk and store it at home.  There's WAY more places to get 90 E0 around here.  E10 doesn't seem to be an issue even in an 05 SRT-4.
View Quote

Yep, that can definitely be a concern. Especially in my case - I'm running basic engine management that can't really be set up for flex-fuel, so it would have to be retuned to E85-only. It is reasonably available in these parts, but I still don't know if I want to commit to it like that yet.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a rig that runs fine on the same tank of E10 I put in it 6-7 years ago.

lol @ worrying about a few months.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yep, that can definitely be a concern. Especially in my case - I'm running basic engine management that can't really be set up for flex-fuel, so it would have to be retuned to E85-only. It is reasonably available in these parts, but I still don't know if I want to commit to it like that yet.
View Quote
if you put as much effort into meeting women in real life as you put into storing cahs and bikes for winter you wouldn't be alone.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There is nothing OTC that stops ethanol from separating over time. Lots of snake oil is out there.

It's being driven occasionally so the very long term problems won't show up. So:
1) Consume as much E10 as you can, then Fill with E0.  Worry no more.
2) Keep the battery charged, it helps preserve both the battery and alternator.
3) Engage in a war with mice!
View Quote
Yeah. Are you going to be around? or is this a storage unit or something. Pay some serious attention to killing mice beforehand, removing food sources, and laying out traps.

A new vehicle will have those stupid soy based plastics and mice love to eat that shit and fuck up your electricals.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
if you put as much effort into meeting women in real life as you put into storing cahs and bikes for winter you wouldn't be alone.
View Quote

Doesn't compute. Storage prep only takes a few hours, once a year.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I’ve got a couple of vehicles I store over the winter. Fill them with non-ethanol and pull the ground cable off the battery is all I do.

Well, I guess I do throw a cover on the wife’s car, too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top