User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SOOOOOO, I may be wrong on this.

Minimum wage is there for: a new to the market employee to learn learn job skills and better themselves as their knowledge and education increases?  Basic platform until one has proved themselves a capable employee.

View Quote

This is modern boomercon rhetoric that has little to do with the reality.

The minimum wage was established as a cudgel against businesses that were practicing predatory behavior against low-iq, low-mobility, employees. When the world was in ruins after WW2 it served as a way to get cheap labor from young men and eventually women before they were educated enough to demand more.

When the USA sold it's industry to the Chinese in the 90s, the minimum wage became the living wage for many employees.

Your concept of a "entry wage" relies on the pass through of labor, which largely does not exist as it did before. As employees gain skills and knowledge, often they do not move up as the higher positions are given to immigrants, minorities, hired through cultural relationships or because of government incentives. The most obvious and data-supported examples are in the tech and IT industry where it is common for lower level employees to have much more experience, knowledge, and ability than their managers while also having no hope of promotion within the organization because Asian and Indian hiring managers quickly consolidate power through cultural relationships.

Minimum wage is another distraction from the bigger issue of both legal/illegal immigration and Chinese-based globalism destroying the labor market in the USA.  

Personally, I think the federal minimum wage became government overreach by the 1990s and should be abolished.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just remember everyone making 15 dollars now will be making at least 22 the next day.

The guys making 22 will go to 29.

And on up the chain.

All the union contracts will change too.

Their wages are not going to stay the same if everyone else goes up.

Prices on raw materials and building supplies are going through the roof even as we type.
Pvc, copper, steel, concrete, lumber, etc.
View Quote

Purely theoretical.  If the price of the product is too high, customers will find alternatives or raise prices.  If the final goods cannot be afforded, they will not be purchased. The Union (and others) push for increased wages to match raises to minimum wage will drive prices up and businesses under

When ammo hit $1 per round, did you buy more or slow down/stop buying?  How long until the ‘new’ gun owners stop paying these scarcity induced prices?

Minimum wage was supposed to be a base to start from - not a life long achievement.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Big tits, skinny waist, tight clothing leaning on me as she refills my water glass is worth a tip.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Same. $15 isn't exactly beach house money. Everyone needs to make a living. IMO if it's good service and you can afford it, tip.
View Quote
Do you understand how it devalues everyone else's work as well?

Maybe working at a mcdonalds drive through was never supposed to be a living.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
SOOOOOO, I may be wrong on this.

Minimum wage is there for: a new to the market employee to learn learn job skills and better themselves as their knowledge and education increases?  Basic platform until one has proved themselves a capable employee.

View Quote

Generally yes.

But these laws are generally pushed for by shitbag employees who (1) will never improve and (2) will spend their entire life in menial, entry-level, minimum wage jobs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The people making $15/hr now will expect $20, and so on. My daughter who's working as an LNA before heading to nursing school will now make the same as someone handing french fries out a window. Small town cops will now make the same as the chick that they buy their donuts from. Then the morons that support this initiative start wondering why everything is so expensive.

View Quote
People don't seem to understand this at all.

This is inflation.

In turn prices will rise and then $15/hr won't be enough and even more people will be in poverty.

Only idiot liberals in their fantasy land that never manage to foresee any consequences think this is helpful.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#7]
As many other posters noted, tipping isn't gonna be the real issue.

The real issue is one we're already seeing: inflation in the price of served food.  Going out to eat, whether it be fast food or fine dining, has gotten markedly more expensive in the past year.  I've eaten at relatively cheap places that have jacked their prices up 40% since January 2020.  An across-the-board $15 minimum wage is gonna crush many restaurants because if they jack their prices up even more then regular customers will say "I'm not going there anymore" or "I'm not going there as often."

Hell, the local thin-crust pizzeria near me (which is good but not great food) now charges $15 for a 14" one-person pizza and $22 for a 20" pizza.  These aren't thick-crust pizzas that leave you full after three slices; the 14" is a personal pizza.  And they want FIFTEEN dollars for it now.  Feeding me and my two kids there with 3 drinks was over $60 -- and this is NOT a swanky joint by any means.  

That type of food price inflation will kill many restaurants that aren't fast food or high class.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Normies in this thread realizing they don't have the political power to vote themselves out of a decades long depressed labor market that has kept their wages stagnant and reduced the value of their dollar tremendously

But the fry cooks at Mcdonalds do

Priceless

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wish we would go the European route and just stop fucking tipping
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Normies in this thread realizing they don't have the political power to vote themselves out of a decades long depressed labor market that has kept their wages stagnant and reduced the value of their dollar tremendously

Priceless

View Quote

I don't think that's what happening.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well isn't that the way we're going now with the $15/he minimum?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Priceless

That's exactly what happened. All that's left is the crying when Biden re-opens the H1B and "refugee" floodgates.

The middle class has no political power, they are at the whims of the minimum wage masses and the politically powerful elite. Whether or not Joe AR15 tips his server is irrelevant to the larger issue. But by all means, continue the thread, it doesn't matter anyway.

Here's a question, when was the last time you were even given the opportunity to vote for something that would directly double your salary?

The economics of it doesn't even matter.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Fuck no
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hellyeah-175.jpg

Restaurant food in Europe is expensive in part due to the wages paid to the servers. Food is relatively cheap here because your server is making only a couple of dollars per hour. You make up the difference (and then some) with the tip. Either way you pay.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

depends on whether the $15/hr min wage affects waiters/waitresses.  

If it does, you'll see tipping die off.

Frankly, I'd like to see tipping die off because (a) most servers today do a shitty, bare-minimum job, (b) restaurants are doing this bullshit where they try to push a 20% or higher tip instead of the 15% usual and customary tip standard, and (c) even the goddamn cashiers are asking for tips up front when you pay (either as part of the order or with a tip jar).
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's exactly what happened. All that's left is the crying when Biden re-opens the H1B and "refugee" floodgates.

The middle class has no political power, they are at the whims of the minimum wage masses and the politically powerful elite. Whether or not Joe AR15 tips his server is irrelevant to the larger issue. But by all means, continue the thread, it doesn't matter anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Priceless

Ok. I see what you're saying now.

Democrats are pandering to the lowest common denominator. But plenty of middle class useful idiots will cheer this on as a great thing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Depends on the restaurant/service. Yes in most cases.
View Quote

Same for me.  Dealing with the public in a service job sucks.  
If they have enough money to take their mind off of murdering everyone who walks in the door, we're all better off.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Big tits, skinny waist, tight clothing leaning on me as she refills my water glass is worth a tip.
View Quote

always worth it...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Same for me.  Dealing with the public in a service job sucks.  
If they have enough money to take their mind off of murdering everyone who walks in the door, we're all better off.
View Quote
Or there's no one to walking through the door then there's no one to murder

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Probably wont be able to eat out any more once the inflation that accompanies 15$ min wage hits. Tipping won't be an issue then.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#21]
So as it stands I could see it affecting waiter, waitresss roles in this way. If they don’t make at least $7.25 with reported tips now we have to pay them minimum wage as a result of a slow night. Most of my staff is hovering around $20-25 in better times. Right now I’m seeing about $15/hr equivalent. A $15hr minimum would likely bring that threshold up to $15 from $7.25. It’d also raise prices in order to absorb slow nights of business when a server doesn’t make $15hr with reported tips on their own.

Beer is already between $6-7 at my place for what I brew on site, and food hovers around $12-15 for a meal. Both would become more as a result but they’re not going to double like a fast food joint probably would. Unless they force a $15 minimum and their tips are just extra and not calculated into their overall labor rate like they are now. I guess if you want to slam the final nail in the coffin of restaurants, this is one way to do it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Enjoy your $3.00 donut, they are around $1.60 each now.....Dunkin' pays their employees $12.00 a hour to start.....Where do you think they are going to make-up that $3.00 a hour difference.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Yea, this may be the final nail for a few industries.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is inflation.

In turn prices will rise and then $15/hr won't be enough and even more people will be in poverty.

Only idiot liberals in their fantasy land that never manage to foresee any consequences think this is helpful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The people making $15/hr now will expect $20, and so on. My daughter who's working as an LNA before heading to nursing school will now make the same as someone handing french fries out a window. Small town cops will now make the same as the chick that they buy their donuts from. Then the morons that support this initiative start wondering why everything is so expensive.

This is inflation.

Yup.

It'll be the final blow to the restaurant industry that's nearly dead already. Eating out is for the great majority of people discretionary spending, so if it gets too expensive they just won't do it. Liberals love to talk about how terrible it is to see main streets dying yet here they are supporting the very policy that will kill main street completely. The diner goes, so does the news stand next door. Then the lack of traffic kills the book store across the street, and so on.

The worst part about that minimum wage is that there will be no politically acceptable was to reverse it. Democrat policies are like the Candiru fish.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#25]
In most countries that pay a livable wage, tipping is not a consideration. Finland for example, they consider it part of the job to provide excellent service and tipping is frowned upon.

ETA: Contrary to all the right wing bullshit, it will not ruin the industry.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Enjoy your $3.00 donut, they are around $1.60 each now.....Dunkin' pays their employees $12.00 a hour to start.....Where do you think they are going to make-up that $3.00 a hour difference.
View Quote

$1.60 for a basic donut, not even a special fancy one damn.

I'm really getting burnt out on the consumer life now that I'm 33. I worry that I'm boring as a friend or date but fuck, shits expensive and I like having the money in my accounts more.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yup.

It'll be the final blow to the restaurant industry that's nearly dead already. Eating out is for the great majority of people discretionary spending, so if it gets too expensive they just won't do it. Liberals love to talk about how terrible it is to see main streets dying yet here they are supporting the very policy that will kill main street completely. The diner goes, so does the news stand next door. Then the lack of traffic kills the book store across the street, and so on.

The worst part about that minimum wage is that there will be no politically acceptable was to reverse it. Democrat policies are like the Candiru fish.

View Quote
Yea. I never ate out much anyways. My wife is a fantastic cook.

The other day we went skiing and were pretty hungry on the way home. She suggested McDonald's, fine. I order a quarter pounder meal for me chicken nuggets meal for hear and a couple shakes, $25. $25 fuckin bucks for a shitty burger and nuggets. I don't remember the last time I've ordered a meal there but it wasn't that much. And it's not happening again anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In most countries that pay a livable wage, tipping is not a consideration. Finland for example, they consider it part of the job to provide excellent service and tipping is frowned upon.

View Quote

Good point.

However, I have no data to back this up, just thinking..... I suspect that our population density, economy, diversity and other aspects are vastly different and it just isn't fair to compare us to countries like that. Just because it works there doesn't mean it will here, and would Finland be better off with a lower minimum wage but this is their new normal and it seems like its working and it has to work....? Because like another poster said, there is no politically acceptable way to reverse the wage hike.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#29]
$15 an hour minimum wage is, in reality, a paycut for every person who was not making minimum wage.

With the increased cost of goods and services, I will not be able to tip.  I will not be seeking many goods and services anymore, either.  That is a simple economic fact.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I will not.  I will avoid restaurants as much as possible.  You better believe that angry wait staff expecting a tip are going to give extra special sauce with short and curly garnish on your next visit.

Also, grocery stores are your friend.  Learn to cook.  Spend a little more on groceries or a better grill. Turn gunner Oreo into a family affair instead of a chore you just do to eat.  Learn how to use staple foods.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Just the tip.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#32]
We'll all be healthier if we eat home cooked food a lot more often.

Remember, many restaurants are trying to pull the mandatory 18% gratuity game.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So as it stands I could see it affecting waiter, waitresss roles in this way. If they don’t make at least $7.25 with reported tips now we have to pay them minimum wage as a result of a slow night. Most of my staff is hovering around $20-25 in better times. Right now I’m seeing about $15/hr equivalent. A $15hr minimum would likely bring that threshold up to $15 from $7.25. It’d also raise prices in order to absorb slow nights of business when a server doesn’t make $15hr with reported tips on their own.

Beer is already between $6-7 at my place for what I brew on site, and food hovers around $12-15 for a meal. Both would become more as a result but they’re not going to double like a fast food joint probably would. Unless they force a $15 minimum and their tips are just extra and not calculated into their overall labor rate like they are now. I guess if you want to slam the final nail in the coffin of restaurants, this is one way to do it.
View Quote

The price you pay for the ingredients for the meals you serve is also going to increase though, due to the increase in minimum wage to pay everyone involved with getting that food to your door, and the fuel tax increases Biden has indicated he wants, which will drive up shipping costs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's always great hearing how some obscure  very homogenous Europe socialist country with a population smaller than fuckin Massachusetts as a reason why things will work here.

Make eating out more expensive than people think it's worth and the industry suffers. Simple.
Fewer people means the cost becomes even higher for those still willing to go out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#35]
This fight for $15 isn’t going to go well for the people it would benefit. I see lots of jobs lost to technology, businesses going under or severely cutting back on staff and those who rely on tips ending up making a shit ton less money.

Sucks to suck. Don’t work a job meant for high school or college aged students.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It really depends on the price of the meal and the delta from where it used to be.
View Quote

This.....the price of meals/ services will simply go up
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Under the caviet that a special minimum wage exists for waitstaff.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Will be hard to tip, when you can't afford to eat out anymore
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So a 40$ meal is now going to be 60-80$. I don't think this will work out the way Xiden thinks it will.
View Quote
It will work exactly how they think it will.

You're assumig they want what's best, like you do. That's where you're wrong. They intend to destroy the middle class, so that we're all evenly poor, as peasants.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
"Tips" will automatically be added to the bill.

I will bet $100 that will be the case after a few months after implementation.
View Quote

Then my "ass" will automatically be deleted from the seat.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The price you pay for the ingredients for the meals you serve is also going to increase though, due to the increase in minimum wage to pay everyone involved with getting that food to your door, and the fuel tax increases Biden has indicated he wants, which will drive up shipping costs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone has glossed over this aspect of the minimum wage raise. Everything from farm to table, your table or a restaurants, will increase in price. In some cases, like domestically grown produce, it may double the current prices when you figure in all the people that touch that tomato before you buy it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#42]
No reason to tip a kiosk or tablet on a table, which is what $15 an hour is going to get them.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#43]
In the city of Seattle the servers and hostess make min wage. People stopped tipping and now they add it to your bill and hope you don’t catch it.  The FEW times I go there to eat/meet with my family I have to ask them to remove it.

This one broad got snotty with me and gave me a sob story about wages and living in the city.  I told her to find a better paying job or move out of city. Seemed reasonable. She was not amused.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Everyone has glossed over this aspect of the minimum wage raise. Everything from farm to table, your table or a restaurants, will increase in price. In some cases, like domestically grown produce, it may double the current prices when you figure in all the people that touch that tomato before you buy it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think a Xiden government will suppress inflation information?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Depends on the restaurant.

Waffle House?  Nope.
Bern's? Yep.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#46]
I’m just curious what the minimum wage increase will do to the thresholds for qualifying for SNAP benefits, medicaid, etc.

Will the 15/hr minimum kick off everyone besides completely unemployed or LTD FSA folks?

Or will they just increase the income threshold to qualify for those benefits?

For example one of the Pharmacy techs my wife works with makes around 13/hr and doesn’t qualify for SNAP but gets medicaid for her 15yo son.  She tells the manager pharmacist every quarter during her employment review to give her “needs improvement” in ever category of review so that she doesn’t get a raise - apparently because she’s right on the cusp of qualifying for medicaid.  If she makes 15, she’ll lose medicaid and have to change her health insurance to the Family rate which would wipe out any pay raise and then some.  

How is this going to play out?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You mean that in a free market your labor has a certain value compared to other types of labor?

Are you trying to insinuate that without draconian pricing controls that inevitably lead to a collapsed economy a job that isn't particularly strenuous and only takes an hour to master isn't as valuable as a job that requires a great deal of exertion or years to master?

It seems to me we don't need a new minimum wage, we need grown ups to accept that a part time after school job is just that. Should 14 year olds bagging groceries make enough to cover rent, groceries, donk  and wheel payments and big sacks of weed?
View Quote

Lol. You went after the donks and wheels....
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'll do everything they can to suppress inflation, not just the information.

I'm a .mil retiree, get VA compensation, and SS. The COLA on those is tied to the annual CPI-W (Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers), basically inflation.  

BLS always has the numbers if you care to look. Consumer Price Index
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#50]
I would wager no tip because how you gonna afford the food in the first place?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top