Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2023 6:53:30 PM EDT
Thanks to @teats, for pushing me over the edge. My first Automatic. Ended up buying on AliExpress 4/13 for $85.01 total with tax and shipping. Everything I had seen said it would be a great watch and I must admit I am quite surprised that a Stainless Steel automatic with a depth rating of 300M could be had for under $100 delivered. Not only that but it arrived from the Far East in 7 days.

Packed well for shipping.

Arrived in a diving dry box style case.

Snap down closures but probably not water tight.

Very cool logo.

Opening the box, it came with a simple pusher tool for sizing the band under the foam away from the inside. I popped it in for the pic.

Box contents, watch wrapped in plastic wrap in a sleeve inside another bubble wrap, instructions, warranty card, sizing tool and hang tag.

Plastic wrap with a foam insert for protecting the underside of the band and the back.

Taking the plastic wrap off here is the clasp.

Already ticking but needs to be set.

Great logo engraved on the back. I wonder how much sweat and gunk will get trapped in those grooves!

Time and date set!

Lume!

I removed two links easily and popped it on. Feels great and is a great Submariner style. I know some look at it as a homage or a knock off. While it is a very close copy it does have a distinctively different logo so it’s not trying to be a fake Rolex. To put it simply, I love the Submariner style but between being in the 18th month of a new home build and trying to start a second house in the keys, I don’t have $10K to lay down for a genuine Rolex. So at least for the next few years till I recover from building expenses, this is as close as I will get, and if it craps out or gets damaged it was only $85 bucks! I will try to run it for the next couple weeks and let you all know how I like it after a little break in.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad you like it !
It a heavy chunk of stainless !
They do have NH35A movements, which are unbranded Seiko 4r35's, iirc.
Mine is keeping perfect time. When I don't wear it, when I choose a watch for the day, I do manually wind both my Steeldives, and others, so I can check accuracy, and I don't have to set day and date every time.
A Rolex would be nice just for bragging rights, but I can buy a whole lot of time keepers for that kind of money.
I like changing watches every day, or several times a day, depending on what I'm doing.
Enjoy, it's a great looking time piece.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had my Willard homage since October and ran it hard a few times  (driving in t posts and building fences at my farm - plus wrestling a couple of pigs to get their hooves trimmed - even a 150 lb. pot belly variety pig is a beast to get to hold still - LOL )   - accidentally slammed it on the side of my front end loader and thought the crystal would be a goner, but nope.     I paid more on Amazon, but i didnt care - still dont think it was over $130.

The bracelet on mine had sharp edges and was pulling the hair on my wrists , and i'm definitely not swarthy or anything , so i just wear it on a NATO, as i do with most of mine

I'm pretty sure my Doxa could handle all that too, but i just wouldnt put it in harms way like that on purpose
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Technical specs:

Waterproof: 300 Meters Diving Watch
Water Resistance Depth: 30bar
Size: 41MM
Case Thickness: 13.5MM
Dial Diameter: 41MM
Band Width: 20MM
Bezel Size:38.00x30.60x1.60mm
Bezel:Ceramic bezel
Dial Window Material Type:SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL
Case Material:Stainless steel
Movement:NH35 Automatic
Movement Brand:SEIKO
Model Number:SD1953
Brand Name:STEELDIVE/OEM
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]
One week of solid wear follow up post. It has been gaining approximately 9 seconds a day. I may need to look into that a bit. The clasp is  thicker than others I have worn and there are some sharp corners on the links. It being my first automatic, I have had to make sure I wear it at least for a couple hours a day no matter what to keep it powered. However on the whole I am pleased with it thanks @Teats for giving me the push even if you had no idea you were doing it!
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Your welcome, but the Seiko NH35A movement that's in it, has a winding feature.
Just unscrew the crown til it pops, and twist clockwise. At @15 twists you'll notice the second hand starting to move.
You can't overwind it, so go 30 twists or better each day, or 20 maybe, twice a day, and it'll always stay running.
9 seconds is great for an auto.
It aint a quartz, so be mindful, and reset when it gets to where you cant stand it !
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 4:12:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I am one week with my SD 1953 and it is keeping excellent time, I am impressed with the watch, I bought it for daily wearing

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a SD1954 a couple weeks ago for ~$50 on eBay.  Mainly just to have it in hand to compare vs. the Addiesdives I already had.  All in all its been good, I was going to give it to my son as a beater but I like it enough I think I'll keep it.  I wasn't expecting much from the lume particularly because they're printed lume not applied indicies but it remains readable all night.  Many of the other chinese watches like Cadisen, Pagani Design etc fail in that regard.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]
So I have lived with it for just over a month now, thought I would update. It’s great but two things I will point out and neither of them are really a knock. I have a few other watches I wear and I don’t have a winder, so if I don’t get it on my wrist every other day, it will wind down. Yes it does have a way to wind it manually but I still would need to pick it up daily. But that’s on me and my journey with an automatic. The other thing is I wouldn’t have gotten black. Yes it is a classic look and yes it is never wrong. However I am thinking That maybe I should have left the stainless and black look for when I buy a genuine and instead I should have gone with the blue one. Yes at under $100 I could buy one of all the colors and not bat an eye, but then I would go nuts trying to keep them all wound! So, like I said, I have worn it a bunch in a lot of conditions and will continue to wear it happily!

Hmmm….
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top