Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 2:45:51 PM EDT
Does anyone wear low top steel toe safety shoes?

I work inventory, receiving and some rigging for a industrial HVAC manufacturing company. Warehouse is open with no AC... Ironically. Lots of walking and stairs.

Looking at Keen and Timberland offerings.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried low tops for a short time. I found that I hit my ankles on every hard, pointy projection in the machinery room.  Went back to boots.

My solution to heat was uninsulated boots, change socks at lunch, and a second pair of boots that I rotated every other day.  Keep your feet clean and let your boots dry.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tried low tops for a short time. I found that I hit my ankles on every hard, pointy projection in the machinery room.  Went back to boots.

My solution to heat was uninsulated boots, change socks at lunch, and a second pair of boots that I rotated every other day.  Keep your feet clean and let your boots dry.
View Quote

I'm fairly good about not running into shit since I'm not technically on the floor often. When I worked in aerospace doing ground service equipment, it was my shins that took beatings.
I'd be open to mid tops as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the energy industry.  When I was still flying a lot and spending a lot of time in the plants, I had a pair of fiberglass toe, barely above the ankle, athletic shoes.   I loved them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does anyone wear low top steel toe safety shoes?

I work inventory, receiving and some rigging for a industrial HVAC manufacturing company. Warehouse is open with no AC... Ironically. Lots of walking and stairs.

Looking at Keen and Timberland offerings.
View Quote
I've had both of those. Now I wear a composite toe Reebok.
Very light and comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve had two pair of Puma composite toe I’ve worn for 6months each. They wear great for 3 months, ok for 1 more, and “these suck” for the last 2. The fabric inside the back wears out and rubs your Achilles’ tendon and the insoles lose all support by the end.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Keen. Boxtoe makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Back in the 90's I worked in high speed, high volume manufacturing ie-on your feet for 12 hour shifts running your you-know-what off...the agony in my feet
is something I will never forget, I used to wake up on my days off with my feet in agony, the steel toed shoes would cut across the tops of your foot. I am
thankful every day that I don't have to work on my feet all day and when I do it is on either grass or a wood floor. NOTHING will ruin your health like working
long shifts on cement floors...I see those news features they do on the Amazon warehouses and my feet hurt again just watching that shit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have six pairs of Keen shoes, three of which are safety toe. Very comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Build quality on the last few pairs of Timberlands I've seen wasn't great for the cost.

We work outside in all weather. Several people I work with wear low cut safety toe Keens in the summer. The pick a trail sport shoe model with composite toe. I assume their Keens are decent because they keep buying them. A lot of those guys are riggers. They do a bit of climbing and a lot of moving around.

You may want to check out Danner's Springfield low also.

Last few years I have worn a Red Wing Hiker with composite toe in the warm months. It is a low cut hybrid boot. The gore tex gives good ventilation. I wear them with shorts and ankle socks. I don't find them to hot. They don't make that model anymore so I need to find another option when time comes to replace. I wil probably go with the Danner

I haven't worn actual steel toes in years. Look into composites if you want something cool and light. It is worth the cost.

Check the safety requirements of your employer first. Many require some kind of ankle support. Does your employer or trade group have any kind of buying program? A good dealer can give you options.

Invest in a Peet Boot Drier. Half the problem with work shoes in the summer is they are still stanky the next day. Come home at night and stick your shoes on the drier. They will be nice, dry, and comfy in the morning.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#10]
The Keens do look like the better option. Any particular model shoe? I've been eyeing the Flints

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-FLINT-LOW.html
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
These aren’t low top but close enough. They are not heavy duty work boots. They probably won’t last a long time. They are however very light and comfortable. I also have some Supersoles and several other actual work boots collecting dust at the moment. I walk +/- 20k steps a day and my dogs aren’t barking at the end. Only had them since October but so far so good.
https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/families/zero-g-lite/zero-g-lite-family-page.html
I have the non safety toe version chukka but they also have a low top & safety toe version.
Red Wing Zero G Lite
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I wanted to try Keen for a long time now but every pair I ever tried on was extremely uncomfortable. I finally got the bright idea a couple weeks ago while boot shopping to put an aftermarket insole in a pair I was trying on at the store. Night and Day difference! It was like putting on a completely different boot. These are the ones I bought. I really like them so far but my experience is limited.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Keens do look like the better option. Any particular model shoe? I've been eyeing the Flints

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-FLINT-LOW.html
View Quote

My everyday work shoes are Flints. They're great.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I wore Timberland Pro for 13 years and they never let me down. Very comfortable
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I wear Timberland Pros. I work in aircraft maintenance so I'm out on a flight line for a good portion of the day. They're super comfortable and a decent price ~$100.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E7T2PCU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Keen, double wide, composite toe - all I buy anymore.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wear Timberland Pros. I work in aircraft maintenance so I'm out on a flight line for a good portion of the day. They're super comfortable and a decent price ~$100.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E7T2PCU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote

Those were the Tim's I was looking at. How long have you had them and how are they holding up?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I wear low-top composite toe Hi Tecs. Very comfortable.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Red Wing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I like my Keen 6" boots. I'm sure their low cut footwear is good too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been using Skechers steel toe shoes last couple years and just love them. They feel like regular tennis shoes for the most part. Very comfortable.

Linky
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I have worn low Timberland Pro steel/alloy toe shoes/boots for many years but last year I got a pair of low Red Wings and last week I got a second pair of the same low Red Wings so I would recommend Red Wing.

I wanted to try Keen before I bought the Red Wings but they didn't make a low pair that met our requirements.  They do now so I may try them eventually but I am really happy with the Red Wings.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I have these now and love them

Attachment Attached File

These were my last pair and they were great shoes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Another one to check out is Merrell .  Composite toe in a low shoe with a fair amount of support and a Vibram sole. Not quite the protection of a higher boot but the way my ankle bones are shaped regular steel toed boots put me in agony in anything more than a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Another one to check out is Merrell .  Composite toe in a low shoe with a fair amount of support and a Vibram sole. Not quite the protection of a higher boot but the way my ankle bones are shaped regular steel toed boots put me in agony in anything more than a couple of hours.
View Quote

Had these previously. They started to fall apart after about 3 months. Same experience with their standard hiking shoes. I love them but they are a complete waste of money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top