Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/2/2018 6:15:53 PM EDT
I've just been notified that I need steel toe boots for a position I may be taking... starting Monday.  Where do I buy steel toed boots?  Do places like Academy and Dicks sell stuff like that?  I have Nike SFB boots, but they're dirty as hell and don't want to wear them as a first impression shoe

Also, what boot brands do you recommend for comfort?  My guess is that I will be standing all shift (10 hours).
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Red Wing and any cowboy boot store should have them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
They sell the Timberland brand of steel toe boots.  You can also find steel toe work boots at WalMart.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Academy carries them in the work boot section.
Red Wing, Chippewa and Wesco have always been my faves but I have a pair of  Wolverines that are nice.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Am I to understand that this thread is about a Texan that doesn't know where or how to buy boots?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I switched over to Keen this year and I don't think that I could be happier.  Unfortunately, based on your timeline crunch, at least for places around me, the stock is limited so ordering online is the best bet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Order a pair of Redbaks from amazon. I have the composite toes, but nobody has ever been able to tell them apart from steel toes, the toes are VERY hard, and I've had a Honda Accord's transmission fall on my toe from 2 feet off the ground before with no problems.

The soles will last forever and you can buy new liners for the insides.

Edit:

Order the Redbaks now, get them next week because they come from Australia.
To tide you over, go to a Skechers store and pick up some cheap/comfortable temporary boots.

If you have a Sears in your area, hit them up for some Wolverine or Craftsman because they'll probably be on sale for 50%+ off because nobody shops at Sears.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Am I to understand that this thread is about a Texan that doesn't know where or how to buy boots?

A.W.D.
View Quote
Sorry cowboy, I've been a city slicker my whole life

I'm guessing some place like Cavenders would have such boots?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Order a pair of Redbaks from amazon. I have the composite toes, but nobody has ever been able to tell them apart from steel toes, the toes are VERY hard, and I've had a Honda Accord's transmission fall on my toe from 2 feet off the ground before with no problems.

View Quote
The correct terminology has been changed from "steel toe" to "safety toe". Composite is G2G everywhere I have been.

OP, what kind of boots do you want? Slip on or lace up? I love my Double H boots, and have also had good luck with Redwing. I wear slip ons in the summer. My lace ups are 1000g thinsulate Georgias. They're heavy as hell but comfortable and warm. Look up places nearby that sell Redwing boots and start there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.

Shit, if you have a Cavenders nearby that's your one stop shop.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Keen
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#11]
On advice from a friend, I just picked up a pair of Keens. (detroits, to be specific). They are so light and comfy that I was sure they were composite toe, but the specs say steel.
My buddy swears by them, and so far, I like them too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Wolverines from Academy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just do a google search for your nearest Red Wing store.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#14]
redwing boots
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I got some carhartts recently. Steel toe waterproof are $150. If  you dont need waterproof those are a bit less. Really comfy but extended wear irritaites the top of my toes so thicker socks may be the fix for that
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I wear these  Timberland Pro Helix.  These are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned.  I'm on my feet all day on concrete mostly and my feet are never tired or sore at the end of the day.  I get them at Academy .
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The correct terminology has been changed from "steel toe" to "safety toe". Composite is G2G everywhere I have been.

OP, what kind of boots do you want? Slip on or lace up? I love my Double H boots, and have also had good luck with Redwing. I wear slip ons in the summer. My lace ups are 1000g thinsulate Georgias. They're heavy as hell but comfortable and warm. Look up places nearby that sell Redwing boots and start there.
View Quote
My Nike boots are really comfortable, but also understand that they are a completely different type of boot.  Are there steel toe variations of boots that are like combat boots; i.e lace-up and tighter fitting?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Redwing will have the biggest selection , any construction boot
they make also has a composite /steel toe version , google redwings store near you .
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Over the years of being a Electrician in Coal Power Plant Maintenance and in New commercial construction and in Construction management and the last ten years of Facility management and recently doing heavy civil construction and residential construction...

I have am very satisfied and will continue to use these boots years into the future.
The first pair lasted 4 years before I worn soles out, the "string" device never broke,

I have new set I will use on my next job.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/4216-red-wing-shoes/4216-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown

They are lighter than old school design, and feel broken in from day one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My Nike boots are really comfortable, but also understand that they are a completely different type of boot.  Are there steel toe variations of boots that are like combat boots; i.e lace-up and tighter fitting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A quick google search tells me yes, but I'm not sure where to find some with your tight time line.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Keen
View Quote
This, I work in a heavy abuse industrial area and the keen Pittsburgh are by far the most comfortable and longest lasting boot I have bought. They fit and feel like a hiking boot. I have had steel toe red wings, timberland, Danner and wolverine and none have been as good as the keens.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I went with Hy-Test when I needed a pair the end of last year. They are composite toe rather than steel, so it makes it easier to go through airport security and they also have an ESD sole since I need that.

Very lightweight and comfortable.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Keen
View Quote
This. Went from Redwing to Keen and very happy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Red Wing Irish Setters

/thread
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#25]
ROCKY
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Timberland pro boondock 6" has the composite safety toe and are super comfortable and long lasting, and waterproof
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wear these  Timberland Pro Helix.  These are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned.  I'm on my feet all day on concrete mostly and my feet are never tired or sore at the end of the day.  I get them at Academy .
View Quote
I wear these. Matter of fact, next week I’m getting a new pair.
I think Redwings suck. I’ve tried them a few times over the years, and never cared for them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#28]
My latest pair are Worx and have been through probably my most difficult period of field work in my career

Going on 5 years now of global field work and they are still strong, including a ton of walking in Egyptian sand. I'm on my way back there now and had thought about getting a new pair but these still have a lot of life in them

Z
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm seeing a bunch of Keen and Redwing.  I'm at Academy right now to see what there is to see.  Will go to Red Wing and Cavenders tomorrow.

Thanks GD, you never fail me
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not a cowboy by any stretch, and spent virtually all of my life in SoCal (Orange County) until this past summer, and even I could get the boot thing done if I where to leave the house on such a mission.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I just got a killer deal on some Dr. Martins at Sears...
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not a cowboy by any stretch, and spent virtually all of my life in SoCal (Orange County) until this past summer, and even I could get the boot thing done if I where to leave the house on such a mission.

A.W.D.
View Quote
I kid.  I've just never been a boot guy.  I have thought about buying a pair, but don't know where I would wear them
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Go to your local Tractor supply they have a nice selection of boots
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A.W.D.
View Quote
Haha that's a funny observation too.

Mine was that he must have convinced someone he was smart enough for the job, but can't figure out where to buy boots.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow.

I've never even hear of this Cavenders place. So what did I do? Googled it, clicked the link, typed steel toe, sure as shit some steel toe boot selections came up .
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Chippewa made-in-USA steel toe vibram anti-slip sole zip up boots like these:

they're not water proof --- but I've been wearing these for 22 years -- they're re-sole-able and nearly indestructible.   I typically stand in them 12-hour shifts.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Danner.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I switched over to Keen this year and I don't think that I could be happier.  Unfortunately, based on your timeline crunch, at least for places around me, the stock is limited so ordering online is the best bet.
View Quote
I'm shopping for Keens this weekend to replace the Keens I've been wearing at work for the past five years. I have five pairs of Keens for work and play, and they are easily the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Keen is the shit.

Started with steel toes n now all my shoes are keen
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm shopping for Keens this weekend to replace the Keens I've been wearing at work for the past five years. I have five pairs of Keens for work and play, and they are easily the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been wearing HyTests for the past couple of years, but they discontinued the only boot that I really liked.  So that led me to Keen (at GD's suggestion), and they are the first boot that I have worn that required zero break in.  They were the most comfortable boot that I have worn...on the first day.  I was impressed and sold right there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have been wearing HyTests for the past couple of years, but they discontinued the only boot that I really liked.  So that led me to Keen (at GD's suggestion), and they are the first boot that I have worn that required zero break in.  They were the most comfortable boot that I have worn...on the first day.  I was impressed and sold right there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They don't require break in but are even more comfortable after a week or two.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Double tap
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Edit:

Order the Redbaks now, get them next week because they come from Australia.
To tide you over, go to a Skechers store and pick up some cheap/comfortable temporary boots.

If you have a Sears in your area, hit them up for some Wolverine or Craftsman because they'll probably be on sale for 50%+ off because nobody shops at Sears.
View Quote
I have 3 pairs of redbacks. I have never worn out the sole. I think my oldest pair is 12 years old. The elastic on them has finally given up. I love them and buy new insoles every 2 years or so.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Red Wing and any cowboy boot store should have them.
View Quote
And if you don't pay at least $175 for the Red wings. Your buying there cheap commi made crap and they suck.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I wear the Converse (now made by Rebok) boots.  I like them a lot and more comfortable that the redwings I used to wear.

Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I really like the Timberland Pros .
Also , we here at Arfcom , don't spend $ at Dicks.

"Dicks, pussies and assholes" speech - Team America
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wolverines from Academy.
View Quote
That's where I got mine, and the Wolverines have put up with a shit-load of abuse in the year I've had them.

Raider 6".
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Ariat groundbreaker
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#49]
I really like that Danners that I had. Try and get a pair of boots with the composite toe in them. The lighter the better. I have a pair of redwing boots that are heavy. At the end of 12 hours they will wear you down.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Redwings with the supersole

Opt for the heat moldable insoles too.

Worth every penny to my feet
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top