Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2020 9:06:38 AM EDT
How do you get in a routine and stick to it with the little ones?  My wife started our oldest girl with the Seton pre-K curriculum a year early just to test the waters and get her learning the basics to prep for this for-real homeschool year coming up. I know the wife found it very challenging to be consistent everyday with lessons, especially with the little sister (2) being a little terror. Would love to hear your ideas and experiences.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Posting to follow.  Paying for private school tuition AND full-day daycare (because of mandated "distance learning") is probably a bridge too far for us, so we may be going the homeschool route for our kindergarten and preschool kids this year.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Make it a game you play each day. Start with the pledge,have a snack/recess after ABCs and slowly add more excercises. Its kinder and pre,its not trig. Take days off and go fishing now and then.Set end of the year goals and work toward them.I was doing this with my kids at 3 and 2.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StanleySpidowski:
Make it a game you play each day. Start with the pledge,have a snack/recess after ABCs and slowly add more excercises. Its kinder and pre,its not trig. Take days off and go fishing now and then.Set end of the year goals and work toward them.I was doing this with my kids at 3 and 2.
View Quote

Thanks!  What did you do on the days when they are being crazy, fighting, etc.?  I think once we get them “broken in” to the routine it will get better.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Chewed their ass,but mostly it was something they wanted to do and it was fun for all three of us.They didnt even realize they were learning.Routine is the key,15 minutes a day of actual learning is better than a full day of screwing off in a classroom. Short impactful excercises and slowly up the content and expectations. Good luck,both kids were at least a grade level ahead when they started first grade.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#5]
As a parent - what ever you decide STICK TO IT and do not let the little ones hear you complain about it one bit!
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Starting Kindergarten in a week so I'll let you know how it goes!   We signed up for Abeka, which has online classes plus books.  

One thing to keep in mind is it's not an all day thing like public school but we have been told it's extremely important for Kindergarteners to consistently start at the same time and to understand some days will be easier than others.  Our middle-schoolers did it for a year and that was much different, as they were self-directed.

Good luck (and wish me luck, too).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top