Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2020 11:10:39 AM EDT
I am 42 and heavier than I should be. I started running after a long period of knowing I need to be in better physical condition.

It's .7 miles from my house to the beach. I like to touch the railing at the beach every time so I am not cutting corners. I can't make it all the way to the beach without slowing to a walk yet but I'm getting better. I walk for a bit and then switch back to running. My time is significantly improving, as well as all other aspects of the run.

I've been doing the exact same run, since Feb 21. I notice if I take a day off I improve upon the next run. Is that recommended? Part of me wants to run daily multiple times but it doesn't feel that great and like I say, I improve when I take a day off.

Any tips or advice? Short term goal is running all the way to the beach and back home without waking (about 1.4 or 1.5 miles) I'm not that far off.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I started running at 48.

- wife excitedly announced “I signed you up for a 5K with our daughter!  You have 3 weeks to prepare.”

Good news:  I did not die.

Better news:  I feel better than ever and am still running at 52.

Best advice:  run with a partner, group, or at least have a goal in mind.  I rarely run with my daughter (she is faster than me) but we encourage each other; also started assistant-coaching her girls soccer team.

Also:

- take your mind off it while actually running;  get a cheap IPod (or phone holder) and listen to music.  I watch cable TV on the gym treadmill (we do not have cable at home).

Get your sleep in order if needed.

Keep going!  It will only make your life better.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Your knees will be hating you soon.  Look for lower impact exercise.

I haz runners knee, bilateral.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#3]
The slow build up method is great, keep it up. The run/walk method is great also.

Try to include some bodyweight exercises in your regiment. Start with squats. Build up that joint strength.

It's ok to take a day off in between if you're just starting out. You need time for your body to heal.

Knee pain can be an issue, but if you go slow and don't over-stress your joints, you should be ok. Just be honest with yourself about injured vs sore.

All kinds of people will try to bring you down. Get a plan together and stick to it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds counter-intuitive, but to protect my knees, I wear minimalist shoes or go barefoot if possible.  Vibrams works, I like water-socks, only 10-buck, but get tore up quick.  Something that doesn't have a higher heel than toe and minimal cushioning.  Your calves will burn and it will be hard at first, but that is just your muscles working instead of stressing your joints.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds counter-intuitive, but to protect my knees, I wear minimalist shoes or go barefoot if possible.  Vibrams works, I like water-socks, only 10-buck, but get tore up quick.  Something that doesn't have a higher heel than toe and minimal cushioning.  Your calves will burn and it will be hard at first, but that is just your muscles working instead of stressing your joints.
View Quote
OP, don't do this.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP, don't do this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, don't do this.
I picked up some Nikes at Big 5 before I started. They aren't exactly running shoes but with size 14 feet you take what you can get. They are ugly as hell but fit great. No complaints so far. I tried new balance and saucony but these Nikes fit way better.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Tough guy.  When I was 42 doctor told me the swelling in my knees was telling me that they were too old to run and suggested that I buy a bicycle.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#8]
phone app:   couch to 5k (c25k)
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tough guy.  When I was 42 doctor told me the swelling in my knees was telling me that they were too old to run and suggested that I buy a bicycle.
View Quote
Running was too much on my knees. Picked up lap swimming 6 years ago and have stuck with that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP, don't do this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, don't do this.
Definitely don’t do this unless you like stress fractures in your feet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, don't do this.
Born to Run

This book totally changed how I view running^

It is counter-intuitive, but barefoot running will absolutely save your joints and back.  The problem is most people who start out have no clue what they are doing, and still run using a heel strike - which is terrible regardless of what kind of shoes you are wearing.  You have to start out slow, and really pay attention to your body.

If you don't take it easy at first you will definitely have issues.  If you are smart about it, you will generally enjoy running a lot more and have much less in the way of pain/injuries than the average runner.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Born to Run

It is counter-intuitive, but barefoot running will absolutely save your joints and back.  The problem is most people who start out have no clue what they are doing, and still run using a heel strike - which is terrible regardless of what kind of shoes you are wearing.  You have to start out slow, and really pay attention to your body.

If you don't take it easy at first you will definitely have issues.  If you are smart about it, you will generally enjoy running a lot more and have much less in the way of pain/injuries than the average runner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, don't do this.
Born to Run

It’s one guy who started a fad that has thankfully died out for the most part.

If there were any truth to it, why do all the top distance runners wear cushioned running shoes? Because they don’t know any better?
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Keep it up man, you’ll get better with time and it will feel better.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:28:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Get the c25k (couch to 5k) app for your phone. Follow the program and you will be able to run an uninterrupted 5k in a few weeks. It is a good way to begin running regularly.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get the c25k (couch to 5k) app for your phone. Follow the program and you will be able to run an uninterrupted 5k in a few weeks. It is a good way to begin running regularly.
View Quote
I recommend this as well. Also, don't skip the first few weeks because you think they're too easy. It'll build up quickly. There is even a couch to 10k app that continues to 10k. These have helped me tremendously.

Also, go to a running shoe store like fleet feet or a new balance store and get fitted for shoes and try different types of running shoes. They'll even let you try them on their treadmill before you buy them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Get a foam roller and use it to maintain your tight muscles.  Your knees and back will love you for it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#17]
research mid foot strike.  get some brooks.  take off at least one day. if you want to build your running mix in sprints and hill sprints.  consistency is key.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Get a foam roller and learn how to use it.
This guy has several great videos on how to self treat with a foam roller and many other tools.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kelly+starrett+foam+rolling
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Born to Run

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, don't do this.
Born to Run

Make sense if you've been running your whole life.

Starting in your 40's and being a little heavy is hard enough, it will compound by beating on your feet as well as your knees.

I don't ever plan on running again except to play paintball or if a bear is chasing me.

Much lower impact options to get the heart rate up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Starting in your 40's and being a little heavy is hard enough, it will compound by beating on your feet as well as your knees.

I don't ever plan on running again except to play paintball or if a bear is chasing me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, don't do this.
Born to Run

This 100%
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've lost about 20 pounds this year. Down to 199.0 this morning. I'm 6' tall but if I brush my teeth with no shirt on I see quite a bit of hanging, jiggling flesh.

Last night I went out for a run and my right knee did kind of hurt. It slowed me down a little but I still almost beat my previous best time!
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm a few days late to the party but I'll still chime in. I started adding a run/walk regimen back around September/October of last year. Struggled hard to do more than a half mile at a shot but kept at it. Going on 6 months later I can do 4-6 miles at an average of 11.xx mins/mile. Put on my reflective vest or long sleeve T, crank up the tunes and hit the road. I start my Sunday mornings with it (25 degree air is amazing to run in) and I feel great when I'm done. Last weekend I took off because I've been fighting a chest cold but now I'm back to about 90% so this weekend it's back on with my new acquired running shoes.

To the OP: find a dedicated running store near you. They can size you correctly and give you options based on your foot measurements and gait style. Regular workout shoes are decent at first but a true running shoe is a big improvement.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've been doing the exact same run, since Feb 21. I notice if I take a day off I improve upon the next run. Is that recommended? Part of me wants to run daily multiple times but it doesn't feel that great and like I say, I improve when I take a day off.

Any tips or advice? Short term goal is running all the way to the beach and back home without waking (about 1.4 or 1.5 miles) I'm not that far off.
View Quote
Every other day is fine for a new runner.  When you get to running 2.5-3 miles or 30 minutes every other day without stopping, you could consider increasing the frequency of your runs if you want to.  Something like 2 days on, 1 day off.

Sometimes new runners also find it beneficial to do some other form of exercise on the days that they don't run - cycling, yoga, strength training.  For now, keep it to every other day until you're able hit 30 minutes without stopping every other day.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 3:42:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm getting worried.  My right knee hurts. It's slowing me down, but it turns out slowing down is increasing my ability to run for longer periods of time.  I run now (slowly yes) the complete path from my house, to the beach, and back home. It's at least 1.4 miles total (Using my odometer).

I feel like without the knee pain I could continue much farther.  I hate to do it, but I might have to take a longer break and try to let my knee heal. I'm making such good progress I hate to put this off but I don't want to cause myself a lifelong injury.

Seriously, I think I could double my distance in a couple of weeks if my knee felt better. The pain is located on the inside side of my knee, below the joint.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:21:24 AM EDT
[#25]
IIRC, every extra pound you weigh equals 4 extra impact pounds per step. The cumulative effect of running while overweight will destroy your knees. Running too slow with shorter steps also means more steps and much more stress on your body. Even walking too much while overweight is high impact and not a good idea. I suggest  taking a few weeks off until the pain goes completely away. Then forget about distance running and instead do sprints with the correct stride - 30 seconds run, one minute walk, 15 reps max - Once-a-week. That will give you about a mile of running correctly, a mile of walking, and time to recover. If that still causes pain then take more time off and do not push it. Your goal should be to still running when you are 65, not limping around with bad knees or hips.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#26]
You knee pain is something I was going to predict in the first thread, and read on to see if and when it already happened.

Stretch it well and take it easy. A week off to let the knee recover won’t hurt you, and may actually help.

As for as impact-related injuries go in new runners, you’ve avoided the worst.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#27]
You’re using muscles in ways you haven’t used them recently.  Let them heal.

If you’re really serious, go to a run shop and get fitted for shoes.  A real running store.  Not academy sports.

They’ll analyze your foot and your stride.  They’ll recommend a few different shoes based on that.  They’ll also try to up sell you on inserts.  Don’t get the inserts.  You can always come back for those (but few ever do).

But do get a true pair of running shoes.  A GOOD pair of running shoes will be $100+  It makes a world of difference.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Also, if distance is your goal, you can run really far if you learn to run at a specific heart rate and always do your distance runs at that heart rate.  You’ll still need hill and speed training, but distance days will be llllooooonnnnnggggg once your body gets used to it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#29]
First, congrats OP.  Keep it up and dont listen to the haters.  I'm 40 and just started training for a 5k with my daughter.  Havent done any running since getting out of the guard in 2002.  Feels good to be out there again.

Now, question for runners.  Shin pain!!!  Every step sends sharp pain thru my shins.  Doesnt hurt when I stop to walk or the next day, just while running.  And next day the bones inside my legs right above the ankles hurts pretty bad.  

Knees are ok.  I went to Feet Fleet and got fitted and tested and whatnot and have a good pair of shoes.  I've been lifting for a year and do alot of leg work.  Squats, deadlifts, lunges, curls, the whole thing.

So...what's the deal and how to I make it stop?  I want to keep this up.  I quit smoking in Jan and my lungs feel great.  My knees can take it.  What can i do to get rid of of the shin pain so I dont make an excuse to stop?
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Keep it up. I just started running 2.5 years ago at age 38.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 1:09:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
First, congrats OP.  Keep it up and dont listen to the haters.  I'm 40 and just started training for a 5k with my daughter.  Havent done any running since getting out of the guard in 2002.  Feels good to be out there again.

Now, question for runners.  Shin pain!!!  Every step sends sharp pain thru my shins.  Doesnt hurt when I stop to walk or the next day, just while running.  And next day the bones inside my legs right above the ankles hurts pretty bad.  

Knees are ok.  I went to Feet Fleet and got fitted and tested and whatnot and have a good pair of shoes.  I've been lifting for a year and do alot of leg work.  Squats, deadlifts, lunges, curls, the whole thing.

So...what's the deal and how to I make it stop?  I want to keep this up.  I quit smoking in Jan and my lungs feel great.  My knees can take it.  What can i do to get rid of of the shin pain so I dont make an excuse to stop?
View Quote

i was told...

too much too soon
& make sure you are not heel striking heavy

massage shins
give it a few days & go light / start slow

how far are you running to start?

look at couch to 5k app  ;)
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

i was told...

too much too soon
& make sure you are not heel striking heavy

massage shins
give it a few days & go light / start slow

how far are you running to start?

look at couch to 5k app  ;)
View Quote

I'm doing couch to 5k.  When I run every other day, hurts like hell.  If I have 2 or 3 days between...tolerable.  But it feels like I'll never get anywhere running 2x's a week.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#34]
maybe you need to slow it down, massage shins, then step it up slowly

or maybe you need better socks & shoes.

none of the workouts you listed , really get your shins ready for the abuse of running  ;)

does Feet Fleet check your running style on a treadmill?   if not find a place that does & have a chat w/ them
i went to a local place & found i was a heel striker.

i had shin & knee issues.
it took a while, but i have since changed way i jog.    im more midfoot now & no more pain.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 2:43:53 AM EDT
[#35]
If you have pain might want to get a movement screen.  Over time small problems create big imbalances and injuries.  Even an hour with a qualified coach would be well worth it
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Shin pain is bone pain. It takes weeks-months to build up. Give it time. The bones will get weaker as they adjust to the increase in stress. This is not the time to push it. Back off so they have time to grow stronger.

For those worried about cardio and distance, that should be the least of your thoughts. Build up your bones, but do not damage them with overuse.

For cardio you can get an exercise bike and a heart monitor. Match time and approximate heart beat to what you want for future runs and it will transfer over. Just be sure to PROPERLY adjust the bike so you don't wear out your knees. Even low impact will destroy your body if done wrong.

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I dropped 60-lbs ~10-years ago (at 39) and gave it almost a year & over half that weight gone via lifting & bike before I started running again.

Then I gave it another year to work back to decent mile times and longer runs.

Typically, older ain’t better when it comes to flogging your body.  There’s a lot good info out there on sustainable workout shit.

Not easy, but take your time & be patient.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Good on you for starting, I got very into running before I finally had to have spinal surgery and was told I can't run like I used to but at one point I was running around 1000 miles a year. One of the best things I did was go to a running store and have my gait analyzed. The found I needed a neutral shoe and I had had been wearing a support shoe which was causing pain and fatigue. I ended up getting two sets of shoes and two custom inserts for my shoes and my pain went away completely. I didn't know that shoes need a day to rebound after a run to provide full support, so if you can afford to alternate pairs of shoes its worth it and also prolongs the life of the shoe. You can usually get 300-500 miles out of a pair if you take good care of them. For speed and endurance interval training is really beneficial, run for 100 yards flat out then walk for a hundred and then sprint 100, keep that up as long as you can once or twice a week and you'll see your endurance go up greatly. its a very slow process, but take it slow and listen to your body, it'll tell you if youre pushing it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I am 42 and heavier than I should be. I started running after a long period of knowing I need to be in better physical condition.

It's .7 miles from my house to the beach. I like to touch the railing at the beach every time so I am not cutting corners. I can't make it all the way to the beach without slowing to a walk yet but I'm getting better. I walk for a bit and then switch back to running. My time is significantly improving, as well as all other aspects of the run.

View Quote

Proud of you!

You do you, take your time, and don't risk injury. Just like going too heavy too fast in the gym, work your way up, listen to your body, and keep up the habit. Take a day if you need, but get out there. Couple this with a new diet and you'll be enjoying the shooting sports for a loooooooooong many years.

EDIT: I get on google maps on draw out "walking" routes along the neighborhood streets and trails. When I was on the marathon prep thing, I had to plan out my 2/5/6/7/8/10 mile runs. For distance, do 'em twice. Running apps are also a thing, but I try and keep it minimal while i'm out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top