Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I grew up with the original trilogy and am a huge fan.

That said, here are my predictions:

Lots of CGI, cringe-worthy stupid stuff, and no plot.

Moar purple or pink haired SJW characters.

Moar Mary Poppins space stupidity.

Lando's gonna somehow get shwacked so they can get rid of another original character.

I hope my expectations are so low when I see the movie, that there may be something good to enjoy.

Rogue One is my favorite.

That Vader scene at the end is just awesome.

Darth Vader's rage | Star Wars: Rogue One [Ending scene]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pete Davidson is in fucking Star Wars now?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if that orange thing with buttholes for eyes will make another appearance.
Pete Davidson is in fucking Star Wars now?
Cut for Time: Star Warriors - SNL
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:31:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Lando's gonna somehow get shwacked so they can get rid of another original character.

I hope my expectations are so low when I see the movie, that there may be something good to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxL8bVJhXCM
View Quote
I've said it in the other Star Wars threads and I'll say it here, the only thing that can save it is another Harrison Ford type character. Which they won't do because The Force is now female, non-binary, gay, etc etc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Star Wars: The Last Plinkett Review
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:46:52 AM EDT
[#5]
the last jedia movie killed solo and any others for me. I will probably rent it and not see it at the theaters.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 2:16:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Rogue One was a truly great movie.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 2:47:23 AM EDT
[#7]
The Rise of Skywalker.

After they literally destroyed his character in that last piece of shit.

Whatever.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 2:49:49 AM EDT
[#8]
After Disney screwed the pooch on these sequels, Lucas’s prequels, which everyone shit on, don’t look so bad in comparison.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:52:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Blatant and ham-handed attempt by the studio to pander to Chinese audiences.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:47:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Imperial Agent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take fucktard Jar Jar over this shit all day.

https://data.whicdn.com/images/320259590/original.gif
Imperial Agent.
Don't insult the Empire. They have enlistment standards.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You have to be born with the aility to use the force but you aren't born knowing how to just intuitively use it.  Luke fails repeatedly at learning and using the force over 3 movies.  All the Jedi learned. That's why there was an academy/temple to train them, and a master/apprentice relationship.  Anakin wasn't flawless - not as Anakin or Vader.  Obi Wan - yep, not flawless.  Qui gon Jinn.  Even YODA had to learn, train, develop mastery ***over time*** with practice (learning from errors and from others).  Same with the dark side of the force - The Sith have to learn, develop, and screw up too.  But not Rey.  Rey masters without learning or mistakes.  She's a flat character in terrible written and directed stories - She is unbearably boring.  The only character like Rey is Leia 2.0 in Episode 8.  Leia 2.0 exhibited no powers whatsoever over her whole life, despite her magical Force heritage, until Disney decided she would suddenly have them and can fly through space with them.

Star Wars is an admittedly pretty flawed movie series that was nonetheless entertaining - at least until these new ones arrived.  Now plot and character development is just absent (and can't imagine it'll get better in 9).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
She's force sensitive. all such people are characterized as being unnaturally good at everything they attempt and lucky.  Just like Luke was ... bulls-eyeing wamprats in his t-16 back home...

Not everyone can be a Jedi.  You have to be born with it.

Rey learned to mess with people's minds from watching Kylo attempt to do it to her.  This was plainly obvious.

She wildly flailed at someone who wasn't trying to kill her until he got her to finally open herself up to the force... which controls your actions and thus landed a hit.  Once again on someone who wasn't trying to kill her or even really to beat her but rather to open her mind to the force so he could turn her.

There's a lot to complain about in The Last Jedi.  There's very little wrong with The Force Awakens and the powers of Rey are not among them.
You have to be born with the aility to use the force but you aren't born knowing how to just intuitively use it.  Luke fails repeatedly at learning and using the force over 3 movies.  All the Jedi learned. That's why there was an academy/temple to train them, and a master/apprentice relationship.  Anakin wasn't flawless - not as Anakin or Vader.  Obi Wan - yep, not flawless.  Qui gon Jinn.  Even YODA had to learn, train, develop mastery ***over time*** with practice (learning from errors and from others).  Same with the dark side of the force - The Sith have to learn, develop, and screw up too.  But not Rey.  Rey masters without learning or mistakes.  She's a flat character in terrible written and directed stories - She is unbearably boring.  The only character like Rey is Leia 2.0 in Episode 8.  Leia 2.0 exhibited no powers whatsoever over her whole life, despite her magical Force heritage, until Disney decided she would suddenly have them and can fly through space with them.

Star Wars is an admittedly pretty flawed movie series that was nonetheless entertaining - at least until these new ones arrived.  Now plot and character development is just absent (and can't imagine it'll get better in 9).
On top of that, not all Force Sensitives are strong in the Force or certain abilities. Coran Horn for example even as a Jedi Master sucked at levitation. His kid sucked too. He had no clue he was Force Sensitive either. He was a fighter pilot and before that a cop. He always thought that gut feeling was just that. A gut feeling. Never the Force.

But Disney threw away the EU and the massive world building and rules. So anything is possible now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Like I said, I haven't seen it.

Holy shit, they actually did that?
Better hit the laundry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Few8kJ0zfnY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would have been but hollywood/disney didnt realize that a lot of Chinese dont like chinese women kissing black men.

@ziarifleman
Like I said, I haven't seen it.

Holy shit, they actually did that?
Better hit the laundry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Few8kJ0zfnY
She sure enjoyed riding that washing machine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Rey in TFA isn't flawless either and loses to Kylo often.  If Kylo had wanted to end her he could have done it at nearly any point.  We see her learn... we see her try... and fail... and then try again and succeed.  She has trust issues and is impatient.

Your criticisms of the character are incorrect and blown way out of proportion.

Then we have TLJ... which is largely a dumpster fire.  The throne room fight was great though... and pretty much the only thing I liked in that movie.

Had JJ directed TLJ we likely would have gotten better development of characters and expansion of the story seeds planted in TFA... JJ is good at that.  He doesn't have a record of ending things well.  so... I'm ambivalent about this next movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rey in TFA isn't flawless either and loses to Kylo often.  If Kylo had wanted to end her he could have done it at nearly any point.  We see her learn... we see her try... and fail... and then try again and succeed.  She has trust issues and is impatient.

Then we have TLJ... which is largely a dumpster fire.  The throne room fight was great though... and pretty much the only thing I liked in that movie.

Had JJ directed TLJ we likely would have gotten better development of characters and expansion of the story seeds planted in TFA... JJ is good at that.  He doesn't have a record of ending things well.  so... I'm ambivalent about this next movie.
JJ is not a gopd Director, Writer, or Producer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Again, Rogue One was only enjoyed by many people for two reasons. The battle between X-Wings and TIE Fighters and Vader being Vader.

That's it. Everyone sat through the worthlessness that was Rogue One for that. Remove Dog Fights and Vader cutting folks and it is shit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 7:04:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it wasn't.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#16]
What if Lando was the Sith Lord the whole time? Kind of like The Mule is Asimov's Foundation trilogy?

Shit what if it's C3P0??!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What if Lando was the Sith Lord the whole time? Kind of like The Mule is Asimov's Foundation trilogy?

View Quote
R2D2 has been there the whole time.  Just say’in...
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll read the spoilers after it's released, and decide if it's worth a $5 matinee.  I'm not holding my breath about it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
 That last scene made the movie
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Perhaps.  Perhaps not.

If the good guys can have force ghosts pulling strings, why can't the Siths?  What if it is true that Plagueis learned to bring people back from the dead and Sideous learned more about overcoming death?  There are ways to do this that don't completely make Episodes 1-6 irrelevant.

Don't misunderstand, TLJ was a disaster.   But this new reveal has substantially increased my interest.
View Quote
Maybe he'll pull a Pet Sematary on Luke.  Makes as much sense as anything else in this dumpster fire.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If the SW/GoT similarities keep matching up (dad killed the old mad king, gets his hand cut off), his dad was too.

Darth Joffrey

Get that out of your head, you're welcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His mom was a Skywalker.
If the SW/GoT similarities keep matching up (dad killed the old mad king, gets his hand cut off), his dad was too.

Darth Joffrey

Get that out of your head, you're welcome.
Conceived in a night of Hutt/slaveplay.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Uh, no.

Everyone loves x-wing fights, but other than “rolling oranges”, the only redeeming thing about R1 was that it wasn’t the cinematic abortion that is the first two elements in the current trilogy.

The payoff is one small scene of Vader doing Vader shit, which we’ve all wanted to see for 40 years... but 2 minutes of cool can’t cover for the fact that the rest is mediocrity (which, sadly, is a huge improvement).
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Again, Rogue One was only enjoyed by many people for two reasons. The battle between X-Wings and TIE Fighters and Vader being Vader.

That's it. Everyone sat through the worthlessness that was Rogue One for that. Remove Dog Fights and Vader cutting folks and it is shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PREACH!!!!

Don't encourage Disney by saying Rogue One was "good". It was ok. At best. No one cared about the characters other than the robot and maybe dude w/ the giant backpack gun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally agree.  He should stick to Transformers movies.   Which I don't watch.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
On top of that, not all Force Sensitives are strong in the Force or certain abilities. Coran Horn for example even as a Jedi Master sucked at levitation. His kid sucked too. He had no clue he was Force Sensitive either. He was a fighter pilot and before that a cop. He always thought that gut feeling was just that. A gut feeling. Never the Force.

But Disney threw away the EU and the massive world building and rules. So anything is possible now.
View Quote
As much as I like the character (and “I, Jedi” is one of the best Star Wars books), I hated what Stackpole did with the Force.

“That’s not how the Force works!”
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rogue One was fucking awesome and you are wrong.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1200/0*CMiVMbVPfIL8AMSm.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

Rogue One was amazing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thankfully he's never done one.    Been stuck with Michael Bay.   The last guy Travis Knight who did the Bumblebee movie did a good job.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
X2

Rogue One was amazing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

Rogue One was amazing.
Mr. Plinkett Talks About Rogue One
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'll have to watch the preview again, but why was a tie coming right at her a few feet off the ground. Cant those things fly in the air and do strafing runs?
View Quote
Dream sequence, I'm betting.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There’s been conjecture out there for some time, actually even from George Lucas that R2-D2 is the one who is telling the story of Star Wars and the skywalker family.  Supposedly some 100 years after the events to one of the “Whills”
So he tends to brag and embellish things
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Maybe JJ Abrams is trying to re-engage core fans with Luke Skywalker to make his force ghost a big character, with the force ghost of the Emperor as the antagonist.

Face it: Gen X who grew up on this doesn't give two shits about Poe, Finn, or Rey-ry Sue.  Darth Emo is the only one vaguely interesting.  But if you bring Luke Skywalker back in, maybe even literally resurrect him from force ghost to living being via the knowledge of Darth Plageius, to train the next generation of Jedi, it explains the title and brings core Gen-X audience back to the theaters in droves.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
PREACH!!!!

Don't encourage Disney by saying Rogue One was "good". It was ok. At best. No one cared about the characters other than the robot and maybe dude w/ the giant backpack gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PREACH!!!!

There were many worthwhile things about R1.

1) No Skywalkers
2) No Jedi
3) Good villain (by SW standards)
4) Main character who goes from giving no fucks to giving at least one fuck
5) Comic relief that wasn't an infantile piece of cringe-inducing shit
Click To View Spoiler

I wasn't all that impressed with Vader's minimal screen time, or his little fight, but it was finally good to see him living up to his reputation.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Maybe JJ Abrams is trying to re-engage core fans with Luke Skywalker to make his force ghost a big character, with the force ghost of the Emperor as the antagonist.

Face it: Gen X who grew up on this doesn't give two shits about Poe, Finn, or Rey-ry Sue.  Darth Emo is the only one vaguely interesting.  But if you bring Luke Skywalker back in, maybe even literally resurrect him from force ghost to living being via the knowledge of Darth Plageius, to train the next generation of Jedi, it explains the title and brings core Gen-X audience back to the theaters in droves.
View Quote
That’s what I was thinking.  The only way to try defeat him is on some astral level which is why Luke fades away at the end of episode VIII.

Of course that’s not going to happen because that would redeem the shit show so far.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That’s what I was thinking.  The only way to try defeat him is on some astral level which is why Luke fades away at the end of episode VIII.

Of course that’s not going to happen because that would redeem the shit show so far.
View Quote
I'm betting Iger has told KK and Lucasfilm "We paid $4B for this fucking franchise, it's a license to make money, and you are killing it!!!  Fix this shit BAMN and make the fans happy again!!"

unless Kathleen Kennedy has some serious blackmail on Bob Iger, OR unless Bob Iger is completely and totally insulated from any access to fan complaints on the interwebz.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

As much as I like the character (and “I, Jedi” is one of the best Star Wars books), I hated what Stackpole did with the Force.

“That’s not how the Force works!”
View Quote
I need to go back and read the X-Wing series again, what did he do?

The ghost thing in I, Jedi was weird... the Force in general has became weird though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The rise of Skywalker? So either Luke returns.... Or Rey is a Skywalker?
View Quote
I'm guessing it's the kid with the broom at the end of TLJ.  Why not?
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or Kylo Ren just goes (even more) nuts... murders everyone in the galaxy and the movie ends with him taking a throne while over looking the smoldering remains of the cosmos... roll credits.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I mean... if I had to wrap up the 9 movie series... that's how I'd end it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So in episode 7, we're told her parents are important.

In episode 8, we're told her parents are nobody.

In episode 9, her parents will be relatives of the Emperor?

That actually sounds about right for this franchise.
View Quote
I'll say she's JarJar's grand kid
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I grew up on Star Wars.

For a LONG time, they were my favorite movies of all time.

That trailer does nothing for me. I don't care if I ever see it or not. Between the Prequels and the mismanagement of the main movies, I think they've finally drove all the love of the series out of me.

Sad, considering what a gold mine they're sitting on.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rogue One was boring as hell.  The characters were flat and unlikable, with the exception of the droid.  It had a handful of decent scenes, but in between those scenes is a bunch of who-cares.  Vader's rage was the best scene in the movie.  And I'm a huge SW fan.  Have been my whole life.  But I'm also a good movie fan, and Rogue One ain't one.  The 2nd time I tried to watch it, I slept thru the middle 3rd of the movie.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For the defenders of Rey. Can anyone name a single flaw her character has? One shortcoming?
View Quote
Her perfection is her flaw, she can do no wrong and makes not mistakes and can do anything the mission requires.

Which is why her character is so totally forgettable if they ever kill her off.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I grew up on Star Wars.

For a LONG time, they were my favorite movies of all time.

That trailer does nothing for me. I don't care if I ever see it or not. Between the Prequels and the mismanagement of the main movies, I think they've finally drove all the love of the series out of me.

Sad, considering what a gold mine they're sitting on.
View Quote
The Clone Wars trailer on the other hand, is fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

X2

Rogue One was amazing.
You two wouldn't know a good SW story if it bit you in the balls. R1 was an utter pile of shit. Worthlessness in its characters that are unmemorable. A convoluted plot and layout. And lets not forget the utter violations of every rule established in SW world building over thirty years of material.

The film was flashy and sprinkled with a bit of nostalgia. That's it
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Or Kylo Ren just goes (even more) nuts... murders everyone in the galaxy and the movie ends with him taking a throne while over looking the smoldering remains of the cosmos... roll credits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That brings balance.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Which makes it the perfect cover.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't insult the Empire. They have enlistment standards.
Which makes it the perfect cover.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You two wouldn't know a good SW story if it bit you in the balls. R1 was an utter pile of shit. Worthlessness in its characters that are unmemorable. A convoluted plot and layout. And lets not forget the utter violations of every rule established in SW world building over thirty years of material.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

X2

Rogue One was amazing.

Meh

I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks craptacular.
Page / 14
Top Top