Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2019 9:00:35 PM EDT
I've seen a few of the old series episodes on H & I channel. Noticed that someone has tracked in some CGI in certain scenes. First noticed it during an outside shot of the Enterprise as it orbited a planet. The planet was most definitely CGI'd (stunning detail of clouds/seas/mountain ranges) and I think the ship is too. The views via the bridge's external cameras and background landscapes, too.

I'm guessing the primitive special effects were deemed to archaic to hold a modern audience, but I think they should have just left it be.

When my children was small, I recall that a Turner owned channel carried the old Tom an Jerry cartoons.  It was pretty much undisturbed, but one glaring change I noticed was that they'd changed the housekeeper's voice. Originally, she had a voice similar to Butterfly McQueen. in the washed version she sounded like a white woman from the suburbs of LA. I'm guessing some white guilter working for Turner figured the character's "mammy" voice too offensive. Don't know. Like the old Star Trek episodes, they should just leave the old stuff alone.

It's like someone found George Washington's  personal writing desk at auction and decided to refinish it with a fresh coat of stain/urethane to spruce the old scratched thing up and trashed his slave ledger found in the drawer so as to not offend.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Stanley Kubrick would have insisted they film it on-site.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stanley Kubrick would have insisted they film it on-site.
View Quote
Little known fact is that Kubrick did.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
A few years ago somebody remastered TOS with better FX
you can still get unaltered TOS just like Star Wars episode iv unaltered versions.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#4]
You're way behind the times. Back in 2009 Paramount and CBS Studios remastered the original series on Bluray discs and added brand new CGI and audio effects to the series as enhancements. I have the disc collection on Bluray and it does enhance the look of the series. Unfortunately, they can't enhance the look of the cheap sets and some of the bad wardrobe like the goofy uniforms that the Romulans wear.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Original-Complete-Blu-ray/dp/B01CJW334Q/ref=sr_1_15?crid=I3X4FKVEKRN2&keywords=star+trek+blu+ray&qid=1558141965&s=gateway&sprefix=Star+Trek+%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-15

Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The future is now, old man!
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I watched TOS on Amazon Prime.  Pissed me off that they replaced all the space scenes with CGI.  The crappy visual effects were part of the charm.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I actually like the graphics improvements.  In case you haven't noticed, the instrument panels have also been improved.  In the unCGI'd versions, you could see the edges of the mats as the objects were moved.  And there were other problems with the graphics of the day that they could not fix.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been watching the remastered version on a channel called H&I via OTA channels.  The updated ships, planets, etc are nice, but as was said before, the sets leave a lot to be desired.  Watching "Enterprise" with a ship that is supposed to be 100 years before Kirk that looks far more technologically advanced definitely makes the original series look dated.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm working my way through season 1 of ST Discovery. 10!years before Kirk but it makes TNG tech look 100 years older. I do like Diacovery's aesthetic.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I saw a short documentary about the TOS closing theme rerecord. The musicians and vocalist were determined to make the same exact performance as the iriginal ones. It sounds great!
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Adding CGI effects to TOS was absolutely unnecessary and pointless.  Just because you CAN do a thing, does not mean you SHOULD.

It didn't make the show any worse.  But it didn't make it any better.    It's still classic ST:TOS and if you're any kind of a trekkie, adding CGI didn't really change anything.

Yeah, there were some places where the visuals could have stood to be enhanced.   But even then, there'd be no point as you're messing with a classic.

I'd have rather seen them expand on certain Enterprise interior sets via CGI.  See more of the ship than we ever saw before.  See more than just one little section of Engineering.  Get something like an actual walk-through of the ship.   Tie those sets together in a 3D walking tour that actually paints a picture in your mind of where these various departments and workspaces were located in the ship.

As it is, they could have done something more meaningful if they'd made the decision to expand on things even if that meant extending the run time a bit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm working my way through season 1 of ST Discovery. 10!years before Kirk but it makes TNG tech look 100 years older. I do like Diacovery's aesthetic.
View Quote
A galactic level capable star ship would look like the ships in discovery, just didn't have the Special affects etc in the 60s to replicate it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#13]
BONK! BONK HIM ON THE HEAD!
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#14]
One of the constraints was to not mess with shots with the cast in it, and not change episode run time. The mrw CGI shots match the originals timewise, but add some things TOS would have done, if their SFX budget for a season could have been more than one episode's worth of Mission: Impossible's SFX cost.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#15]
You can also see the stuntmen pretty easily.

It's not quite to this level, but it's close sometimes.

TOS unmolested by CGI was best TOS.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I actually like the graphics improvements.  In case you haven't noticed, the instrument panels have also been improved.  In the unCGI'd versions, you could see the edges of the mats as the objects were moved.  And there were other problems with the graphics of the day that they could not fix.
View Quote
I do too and I grew up on the original series.

The newer CGI shots are generally just improvements over the existing shots. It's not a case of them Lucasing the thing up with CGI crap constantly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top