Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 2/10/2023 11:33:26 AM EDT
Hope? Too little too late?

Dave Cullen (one of the reviewers I like along with Drinker and RLM) was given early access to season 3 and he speaks well of it.

Previously, he was very harsh on Picard (and other new Trek) like everyone else (Drinker, RLM, etc.)

He claims he's not being swayed to say good things by being given early access, but I'm skeptical. Probably going to wait for Drinker to weigh in since I've sworn off all new trek (though I like strange new worlds).

My Thoughts on Star Trek: Picard Season 3 Thus Far…

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Liked the first season. Second was hit and miss. The childhood flashbacks got too frequent and boring.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Drinker's Chasers - Robert Meyer-Burnett On Picard Season 3
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Liked the first season. Second was hit and miss. The childhood flashbacks got too frequent and boring.
View Quote

You are .... generous
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Zombie IP's are going to be the death of entertainment if they don't stop soon.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Zombie IP's are going to be the death of entertainment if they don't stop soon.
View Quote
Wokism is going to be the death of entertainment.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Trek is dead to me after being woke fucked to death.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
The second video with Drinker gives me even more hope. I may tune in to season 3.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Waiting on the drinker

Should have made him and James woods honorary members here long ago
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Waiting on the drinker

Should have made him and James woods honorary members here long ago
View Quote

Check out the second video above. Though he hasn't seen it himself yet, he has someone that can be trusted on his after hours show.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#10]
It's better to just pretend this show doesn't exist. And anyone speaking about it is just the insane ramblings of a lunatic.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Star Trek: Picard = Star Trek: AARP

Star Trek: Discovery = Star Trek: LGBLMTQ
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Last season was decent, I look forward to this but Discovery is absolute trash. Strange New Worlds isn't bad but the trend is 'Woke-Trek' like every other show out there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Those of you who like Picard, why?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Isn't this an android that looks like Picard? I thought he died in the first season and was "downloaded" into a droid.
I never watched, but I thought I heard that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Isn't this an android that looks like Picard? I thought he died in the first season and was "downloaded" into a droid.
I never watched, but I thought I heard that.
View Quote

Yes. Both of the videos address that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#16]
This is glorified cope.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#17]
7 of 9
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
7 of 9
View Quote

Should have been named 2 of 36.

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is glorified cope.
View Quote

Do mean that people are so desperate for good Trek that any slight improvement may seem like something good, but not really be?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I can't think of any reason you might even kind of like it.  It's not trek and it's not picard.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I enjoyed season 1 because everyone treated Picard like a washed up old man.

I didn't watch season 2, yet.

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Do mean that people are so desperate for good Trek that any slight improvement may seem like something good, but not really be?
View Quote
Exactly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
pure fuckin' hubris
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Couldn't even make it through the first episode so woke I fell asleep.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#25]
After the last go-'round, where they turned Q into an impotent, pathetic Putz, afraid of dying before getting a pat on the back and a "There, there, old chap!" from Picard, well, I won't be watching.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Exactly.
View Quote

Yeah hence my skepticism. But these two vids combined have me hopeful.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I enjoyed season 1 because everyone treated Picard like a washed up old man.

I didn't watch season 2, yet.

View Quote

I watched season 1 but haven't and will not watch season 2.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm only a casual Star Trek fan but liked Strange New Worlds. Pike has Kirk-like swagger and he's banging aliens so it doesn't seem nearly as woke-- despite playing up Uhuru too much. It's cool seeing a straight white male act like one.

In the flash to a possible future, they even showed how compromising, peace-seeking pussiness was a terrible mistake. Sometimes, aggression needs to be met with immediate violent repercussions.

That was refreshing and seemed to go against the trend
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Robert Meyer Burnett, who has been actively involved in Trek production at various levels for decades and whom has been a big critic of Discovery and Picard to date, has said that Season 3 is a complete 180.

He and Doomcock have gotten into a bit of a back and forth over this recently and to be honest, I can see it from both sides of the debate.

I trust RMB's opinion on the content given his experience with the franchise and agree with him that when content is good and shows the proper respect to cannon/source material, it should be rewarded. On the other hand Doomcock has said that they made the conscious choice to destroy Trek the way they have so far, even if S03 is good it's too little too late (it is only going to be a single season, Picard is supposed to be done after this), and that because of the damage they've done to the franchise to date it shouldn't be rewarded at all.

As I said, both are very valid points of view and I don't think anyone is wrong whichever side of the line you fall on. I'm not sure if I'll watch it or not yet. I'm probably going to wait to see a few more respected takes on it. Regardless I won't be paying to see it. If Paramount does actually decide to unfuck Trek in the future and de-cannonize the damage they've done so far, I could see myself actively supporting them but, I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

SHOCKER! YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY BE EXCITED FOR PICARD SEASON THREE! ROBSERVATIONS Season Five #803

THE KURLAN NAISKOS - A PICARD AFTERSHOW w/Showrunner TERRY MATALAS and Captain Shaw TODD STASHWICK

I’M NO PAID STAR TREK PICARD SEASON 3 SHILL…I JUST LOVED THE SEASON!!! ROBSERVATIONS SEASON SIX #830

WITHOUT RESPECT YOU MUST REJECT. OKAY THEN...TIME TO ISSUE A STERN REJECTION. ROBSERVATIONS S6 #831
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Robert Meyer Burnett, who has been actively involved in Trek production at various levels for decades and whom has been a big critic of Discovery and Picard to date, has said that Season 3 is a complete 180.

He and Doomcock have gotten into a bit of a back and forth over this recently and to be honest, I can see it from both sides of the debate.

I trust RMB's opinion on the content given his experience with the franchise and agree with him that when content is good and shows the proper respect to cannon/source material, it should be rewarded. On the other hand Doomcock has said that they made the conscious choice to destroy Trek the way they have so far, even if S03 is good it's too little too late (it is only going to be a single season, Picard is supposed to be done after this), and that because of the damage they've done to the franchise to date it shouldn't be rewarded at all.

As I said, both are very valid points of view and I don't think anyone is wrong whichever side of the line you fall on. I'm not sure if I'll watch it or not yet. I'm probably going to wait to see a few more respected takes on it. Regardless I won't be paying to see it. If Paramount does actually decide to unfuck Trek in the future and de-cannonize the damage they've done so far, I could see myself actively supporting them but, I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8APBUQUw1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbJ5PQByCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Br6B3c3fc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGhS0oAT-yE
View Quote

Those 4 videos are longer in total duration than Picard Season 3 will be.

You expect anyone to watch those?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see you don't understand how podcasts work in the 21st century. Sorry about your luck.

I regularly "watch" ones twice or 3x as long.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

The one I posted with Drinker has him. Robert is speaking most of the time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Star Trek nose-dived after Deep Space 9.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Fuck it, I'm in.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#36]
First episode is up.

I really liked it. Felt like old Trek to me. So far, the first two seasons are irrelevant to it for the most part, as reported by Cullen. It's total fan service, which is OK with me. We fucking deserve it after the last 15 years.

Might as well make this the discussion thread if anyone is interested.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
First episode is up.

I really liked it. Felt like old Trek to me. So far, the first two seasons are irrelevant to it for the most part, as reported by Cullen. It's total fan service, which is OK with me. We fucking deserve it after the last 15 years.

Might as well make this the discussion thread if anyone is interested.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

I liked it too. Have to see if they can keep it up.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Star Trek: Picard Season 3 Ep 1: The Next Generation Review (Spoilers)
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I liked it too. Have to see if they can keep it up.
View Quote

Agreed. I liked the score as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:00:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Went ahead and watched E01.

Right off the bat I'll say I give it an overall 5.5/10.

A definite improvement over standard Kurtzman Trek fare but it's very much in the vein of the TNG movies which I've always been so-so on (I'd rather watch STII or STVI any day over the TNG movies).

I still cannot get over the cursing, as I've mentioned in regards to STD and Picard before. It's jarring enough it completely takes me out of the experience. It's just not Star Trek. And this is coming from someone that curses like a sailor to the point I have to be sure to reign it in when at work. But that's me current day, not in the 24th-25th century where mankind is supposed to be that much more advanced. For example, for the show Deadwood, writers/producers had to substitute modern swearing for what would have been swearing common of the time because they didn't feel audiences would understand the swears. So, it stands to reason that if our vernacular can change that much from the 1800s to the 2000s, it would certainly change over 400 years, maybe even to the point where cursing has entirely fallen out of fashion on Earth (note other cultures, like the Klingons, do still use it though).

Other gripe, shooting is still way too dark, though they did improve it in some shots over previous Kurtzman Trek. Give me some fucking color pallet in scenes beyond like I'm looking at it through 5% window tint.

Like I said, pretty mid so far IMHO but, I'll see what else is in store. Az from HeelvsBabyface put it great in a stream he did earlier today. It's "popcorn Trek", the Star Trek of Tapestry, The Drumhead, or Measure Of A Man isn't even on the radar at this point. I don't outright hate it which, I suppose, is progress.

ETA:

Star Trek Picard Season 3 REVIEW | Hell Has Frozen Over

Picard Season 3 Episode 1: Progress, Not Perfection!
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Went ahead and watched E01.

Right off the bat I'll say I give it an overall 5.5/10.

A definite improvement over standard Kurtzman Trek fare but it's very much in the vein of the TNG movies which I've always been so-so on (I'd rather watch STII or STVI any day over the TNG movies).

I still cannot get over the cursing, as I've mentioned in regards to STD and Picard before. It's jarring enough it completely takes me out of the experience. It's just not Star Trek. And this is coming from someone that curses like a sailor to the point I have to be sure to reign it in when at work. But that's me current day, not in the 24th-25th century where mankind is supposed to be that much more advanced. For example, for the show Deadwood, writers/producers had to substitute modern swearing for what would have been swearing common of the time because they didn't feel audiences would understand the swears. So, it stands to reason that if our vernacular can change that much from the 1800s to the 2000s, it would certainly change over 400 years, maybe even to the point where cursing has entirely fallen out of fashion on Earth (note other cultures, like the Klingons, do still use it though).

Other gripe, shooting is still way too dark, though they did improve it in some shots over previous Kurtzman Trek. Give me some fucking color pallet in scenes beyond like I'm looking at it through 5% window tint.

Like I said, pretty mid so far IMHO but, I'll see what else is in store. Az from HeelvsBabyface put it great in a stream he did earlier today. It's "popcorn Trek", the Star Trek of Tapestry, The Drumhead, or Measure Of A Man isn't even on the radar at this point. I don't outright hate it which, I suppose, is progress.

ETA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VHxyWbpCwI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpEpwTrWiow
View Quote

Yeah it's definitely not without flaw. Marked improvement for me though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Dave Cullen was on Drinker's Open Bar stream today. And RMB is supposed to be as well but running late. Just started it.

Link Posted: 2/17/2023 1:35:45 AM EDT
[#43]
I've enjoyed Picard, it's better than most of the trash out there.

First episode was good.  Riker is great fun.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 1:53:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Great episode and good classic ST music, nope it keeps getting better.

Had a ST2 Wrath of Kahn vibe, wonder if the kid is Picardy?

Wonder if the weapon represents the genesis device?

So who will be Kahn?
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#45]
My wife and I call it Star Trek: AARP

We were laughing with every old cast member that popped up. And then Riker bitching about his knees and joking about having to get up to pee in the middle of the night.

2 of 36 is still a BILF ??

It was entertaining enough, though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Star Trek died when CBS denied Paramount the right to make a new movie in the original Star Trek style(either TNG or TOS) so Paramount went to JJ Abrams to give us the shit he gave us.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#47]
So after reading this thread I thought that I would give the third and final season of Picard a chance. I was not impressed with the first two seasons at all.

This definitely has a different vibe to it. I actually liked it. Riker is hilarious and the music is fantastic as is the production.

I'm going to give this a shot
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So after reading this thread I thought that I would give the third and final season of Picard a chance. I was not impressed with the first two seasons at all.

This definitely has a different vibe to it. I actually liked it. Riker is hilarious and the music is fantastic as is the production.

I'm going to give this a shot
View Quote

So far, Riker "makes the show" for me right now, and reflecting back on TNG.., where I always thought it was Picard, now I realize that Riker was just as important to making that show work as well. He's is a necessary part of the equation, IMO.

Jonathan Frakes hasn't missed a beat.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So far, Riker "makes the show" for me right now, and reflecting back on TNG.., where I always thought it was Picard, now I realize that Riker was just as important to making that show work as well. He's is a necessary part of the equation, IMO.

Jonathan Frakes hasn't missed a beat.
View Quote

Agreed..
When they were in the room on the racks and he said this reminds me of my Cadet days only I didn't have to get up so many times to pee LOL I can relate to that.

Also when he said you have a stiff hand and my knees are killing me so as long as we don't have to shoot or move we're okay

Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

It would be hilarious if Burnham becomes President of the Federation in the far future, then starts kidnapping problematic people from the past to face 30th century woke “Justice”, and they make the mistake of grabbing Kirk (played by Shatner himself) to put on trial and he finds a way to completely unfuck the timeline so STD and Star TP never happen. Maybe TNG and Voyager as a bonus.

Wont happen of course because they are killing Trek on purpose and don’t want to fix it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top