Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/21/2020 8:51:20 AM EDT
Forget SW A New Hope whose sole motif was local boy makes good/zero to hero.

TWOK combines so many elements from Moby Dick, A Tale of Two Cities, not to mention a WWII submarine movies, and blends them seamlessly together in a movie so power and strong if you didn't tear up at the end when you first saw it, you probably drink soy milk and have a man bun and watch Friends reruns on Netflix.

It has powerful themes such as sacrifice and deals with friendship and aging and redemption.  It's character arc of Kirk going from a daring flyboy breaking all the rules to learning that life (and death) doesn't escape anyone is so much more powerful than blowing up a giant super weapon.

Best of all, in today's age of crappy movie making, it didn't destroy the characters the movie was based on or re-imagine them to be something other than what they were in the original series.  It treated women as actual characters who were strong and smart like Dr. Marcus yet capable of loving or Lt. Saavik who was not some Mary Sue, but a fallible female character capable of learning and growing through actual experience during the story.

That's all I got.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#2]
All righty then
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#3]
You are not wrong, the music is great too.

Oddly enough as fictional spacecraft go I really like the lines of the Reliant.

Enterprise vs Reliant - Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#4]
STII was and always shall be the best of the OST movies.

no disrespect to the newer ST reboot movies which are also fun to watch, but STII is still a great movie to watch
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#5]
100% agreed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I might dispute that it is the finest ever made... Partly because it's not really so much of a science fiction story as a story set in the future. With a few changes you could have set the movie in the age of sail and kept the basic story.

That being said, it the best of the Star Trek movies and a great movie for the reasons you mention.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Best sci-fi movie ever is kind of a stretch because that's a huge general category that includes ET, Aliens, The Matrix, Terminator, Blade Runner, etc...
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know if it was the best, but it's right up there in the top 5 for me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

TWOK combines so many elements from Moby Dick, A Tale of Two Cities, not to mention a WWII submarine movies, and blends them seamlessly together in a movie so power and strong if you didn't tear up at the end when you first saw it, you probably drink soy milk and have a man bun and watch Friends reruns on Netflix.

It has powerful themes such as sacrifice and deals with friendship and aging and redemption.  It's character arc of Kirk going from a daring flyboy breaking all the rules to learning that life (and death) doesn't escape anyone is so much more powerful than blowing up a giant super weapon.

Best of all, in today's age of crappy movie making, it didn't destroy the characters the movie was based on or re-imagine them to be something other than what they were in the original series.  It treated women as actual characters who were strong and smart like Dr. Marcus yet capable of loving or Lt. Saavik who was not some Mary Sue, but a fallible female character capable of learning and growing through actual experience during the story.

That's all I got.
View Quote
Master and Commander was better!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Or not.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#11]
It was a tremendous work that packed a lot into one movie yet told it all very well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Ice cream is a dish best served cold.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#13]
2001: A Space Odyssey 50th anniversary 4k HDR disagrees.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Best Star Trek movie? Yes. Best sci fi movie? Heeeeell no. Do you even watch sci fi??
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I must agree it is a great movie. I’ve enjoyed the Kelvin timeline movies, and TNG, but there is just something special about TOS cast.

That said over the years I’ve come to enjoy ST The Motion Picture as well. I’m not saying it’s great, but I think it’s a better movie than it’s given credit for.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I must agree it is a great movie. I’ve enjoyed the Kelvin timeline movies, and TNG, but there is just something special about TOS cast.

That said over the years I’ve come to enjoy ST The Motion Picture as well. I’m not saying it’s great, but I think it’s a better movie than it’s given credit for.
View Quote
it's mind-blowing when you watch ST:TMP and realize it was all models, no CGI.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Chaka Khan - I Feel for You (1984)
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Best scene in star trek, preparing for battle. Also the engineering suits were a nice addition but get dropped in later movies.

Star Trek 2 wrath of khan battle station
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Clearly you haven't seen The Terminator, Predator, Backdraft, Glory,  Alien, Aliens, Robocop, Robocop 2, i could go on.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Clearly you haven't seen The Terminator, Predator, Backdraft, Glory,  Alien, Aliens, Robocop, Robocop 2, i could go on.
View Quote
I was unaware Backdraft and Glory were sci-fi films...
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
STII was and always shall be the best of the OST movies.

no disrespect to the newer ST reboot movies which are also fun to watch, but STII is still a great movie to watch
View Quote
Speak for yourself.

With the utmost disrespect to the newer ST reboot movies.

Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
huh...
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Are you guys all in a room together smoking the good stuff?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Forbidden Planet is probably one of the best ever made.

The Andromeda Strain (The original 1970's version) is one of the best, if not the best scientifically accurate science fiction movies.

War of the Worlds (1950's) hard to beat.

5 Million years to Earth (or Quatermass and the Pit) very well done movie.

2001 a Space Odyssey. Ground breaking in so many ways.

There are a lot of very good science fiction movies out there - Wrath of Khan was good and enjoyable, but hardly the best.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I watched it two days ago. It still holds up for effects and the story is great. It's definitely my favorite ST movie. I remember when I was a kid when Spock died. I couldn't believe it as I always thought the main cast would never get killed. Then they kicked us again the next movie with the destruction of 1701.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Let's not forget this oscar-worthy performance by Captain Kirk

Spock's Funeral - Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (7/8) Movie CLIP (1982) HD
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Best opening sequence ever.

Star Trek The Motion Picture 1979 (Directors CUT) Klingon Battle
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Forbidden Planet is probably one of the best ever made.

The Andromeda Strain (The original 1970's version) is one of the best, if not the best scientifically accurate science fiction movies.

War of the Worlds (1950's) hard to beat.

5 Million years to Earth (or Quatermass and the Pit) very well done movie.

2001 a Space Odyssey. Ground breaking in so many ways.

There are a lot of very good science fiction movies out there - Wrath of Khan was good and enjoyable, but hardly the best.
View Quote
In the 50's/early 60's Forbidden Planet, War of the Worlds and The Day The Earth Stood Still are the three that the others aspire to be like
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Yup still the best of the original Trek movies.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Well It certainly was much better than the first one. I don't think it's possible to sit through STtMP without falling asleep.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#31]
The best Trek to be sure but the best sci-fi?  Naw.

My favorite is still Serenity but there are so many good ones out there...
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Best Star Trek movie? Yes. Best sci fi movie? Heeeeell no. Do you even watch sci fi??
View Quote
This...
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Sure if you like privileged white males mansplaining, with a sexual predator as the hero who has to face the child he didn’t know he had because his mother had no access to abortions.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sure if you like privileged white males mansplaining, with a sexual predator as the hero who has to face the child he didn't know he had because his mother had no access to abortions.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Interstellar laughs at you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#36]
It is a upper tier Sci Fi movie, but not the best...hard to define that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sure if you like privileged white males mansplaining, with a sexual predator as the hero who has to face the child he didn’t know he had because his mother had no access to abortions.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#38]
I could use some of that Retinax-5!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's all I got.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Username checks out, it's the legendary Ken M. of internet trolling fame!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#41]
FPNI again (no pun intended)
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Satire?  
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Best sci-fi movie ever is kind of a stretch because that's a huge general category that includes ET, Aliens, The Matrix, Terminator, Blade Runner, etc...
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#44]
It did have one really good scene.

Kahn:  Give me the genesis device right now!

Kirk:   We're working on it.

Kahn:  Give it to me right now!

Kirk:   Are you ready?  Here it comes.   (Shoots Kahn's ship to shit with phasers and photon torpedoes.)
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Certainly the best of TOS based movies. Followed by The Undiscovered Country. I like to pretend ST IV and V never happened.

First Contact is the best of the STTNG based movies. The new Start Trek movies don't do much for me.

I've been watching the new Picard series. I think it's very well done.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#46]
TotL rip-off of Moby Dick.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#47]
You might be blind and probably can't hear very well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Good movie yes, best sci-fi ever, no. Really good Sci-fi tells a story about current problems in a future setting that allows us to examine our reaction to those problems in new-light.
It helps to remove our biases in the way we solve the problems today by changing the context. Star Trek has successfully done this as a series, but I don't know that Star Trek 2, accomplished that goal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Good movie yes, best sci-fi ever, no. Really good Sci-fi tells a story about current problems in a future setting that allows us to examine our reaction to those problems in new-light.
It helps to remove our biases in the way we solve the problems today by changing the context. Star Trek has successfully done this as a series, but I don't know that Star Trek 2, accomplished that goal.
View Quote
That's exactly why movies suck today.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's also what I find mind blowing with Blade Runner
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top