Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2020 11:33:28 AM EDT
I’ve got a good mess of spurweed (aka burrweed) in my yard and would like recommendations on products to use to eliminate them.  According to the county extension office I need to use a pre-emergent herbicide to get the early stuff and a post-emergent for anything currently sprouted.  Fair enough.

I’ve got plenty of 2-4-D to handle the post emergent side but I’ve never used pre-emergent stuff before. Any suggestions as to brands I can get at either Lowe’s/tractor supply?

I’ve got a fair amount that’s already sprouted so I’ll be hitting that with around 1.5oz/gal of water later on today (recommended dosage is between 1.25 and 2 oz per the bottle).

This crap plays hell with my wife and grandkids who all love going barefoot and I’d like a devastating first strike.  I’ll even entertain a total roundup/start over if that’s what’s necessary.  

Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a farm supply store close, you can spray your yard with Simazine.  It is a pre-emergence herbicide that you do not have to have a Restricted Use License to purchase.  You typically put it out at a rate of 1 to 2 quarts per acre.  This will also help control some of the other winter weeds that typically pose an issue.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I live on what used to be an old orange grove. Over the years the soil is depleted from growing oranges and its basically sugar sand. The soil gets very acidic.
When I moved here, I had lots of trouble with them. I hand picked, sprayed, used a torch ect ect ect.

local Ag agent suggested having a truck broadcast lime on my property to sweeten the soil. It had a positive effect. It reduced the number of spurs to a very low level. Now as I mow, I pull the very few I find up and put them in a bag before they loose the seeds.

I have mowed this summer and I don't think I have found any over the 6 acres that I keep groomed.

Now that Florida Pusley is another story. I had to use the 2-4 D.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top