Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/30/2020 4:30:33 PM EDT
Are they illegal to manufacture or own without proper paperwork/documentation?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Stop caring.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
They would be equivalent to muzzleloader at most, so probably not.

Either way, fuck it, we used to make them all the time.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d love to make one with the kids. Would be a fun project.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve made many. Totally legal to use and to make them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#6]
A good one uses two screws drilled into some large diameter pvc pipe, about an inch apart.

Drilled at a angle so they are 1/8 inch apart inside the tube.

One the attaches a grill lighter to the screw

attach a fitting on one side to use a screw on lid. Attach a fitting to the other side to attach your barrel to the other. Let it dry. Don't click the lighter till it's all taped up. Common mistake.

Fuel is a 1.5 second squirt from cheap air spray after its been loaded. Screw lid on tight and maybe test fire first.

Dont actually do and of what I just said but if you do have fun
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Build a potato digger
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A good one uses two screws drilled into some large diameter pvc pipe, about an inch apart.

attach a fitting on one side to use a screw on lid. Attach a fitting to the other side to attach your barrel to the other. Let it dry. Don't click the lighter till it's all taped up. Common mistake.

Fuel is a 1.5 second squirt from cheap air spray after its been loaded. Screw lid on tight and maybe test fire first.

View Quote

We always used ether so it wouldnt gum up the threads
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Three tips.

Put a sharp bevel on the muzzle end to make shoving in potatoes easier.

Use ether as a propellant, not hair spray. Hair spray leaves behind a wet glue residue that will gum up your ignitor.

A C or D cell battery wrapped in duct tape to achieve to the proper diameter makes one hell of a projectile. I shot through a wooden fence from 50' with mine.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way more consistent too.

A quick shot is more than enough.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Make sure you wrap the whole thing with the pant leg from an old pair of pants too.

On the very rare chance the thing explodes, at least it will catch a lot of the shrapnel that way.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I made one combustion spud gun. Then I discovered pneumatic spud guns. Then came electric sprinkler valves, 9v batteries, air lines, ect

I never used taters. Pill bottles with rocks in them or D batteries wrapped in duck tape

Also snowballs
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Years ago my brother got me a how to make a spud gun book at a fun show. We made spud guns for one of our Cub Scouts den projects!
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Way more consistent too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way more consistent too.

Oh my. I actually have to leave the lid off when not in use, and clean the threads everyone one in a awhile. Noted.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#15]
We made a pneumatic one with the sprinkler valve and it always out shot the hairspray powered ones.

We sent a lawn dart pretty deep into a hardwood stump using a tight ball of damp newspaper as wadding
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I built a pneumatic gun using a modified sprinkler valve. Google it. It's scary.  I sleeved a pvc barrel to fit golf balls in.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I built a pneumatic gun using a modified sprinkler valve. Google it. It's scary.  I sleeved a pvc barrel to fit golf balls in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much pressure do you need to use it, can you use a normal compressor, or do you need something like a paintball tank.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How much pressure do you need to use it, can you use a normal compressor, or do you need something like a paintball tank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On mine I used pvc as the pressure vessel so I only charged it to 100-120PSI. I'll use either a compressor or even a bicycle pump to pressurize it. I wouldn't feel safe going any higher.  In fact the thing has been sitting in my garage for years, if I ever use it again I'll built a new pressure vessel as I wouldn't trust the old pipe to have not gotten weak/damaged/brittle.

The best thing to do is follow the directions online to convert the electric sprinkler valve to be a pneumatically operated valve. It opens and dumps much faster.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#20]
We just made a massive one last week for a science project with the kids.
ABS plastic, spray painted it camo and put it all together. What a fun time.
And the thing LAUNCHES potatoes. Ive never made one and I was surprised how far they actually go, and how loud.
I cleared a tree line at 100 yards and it was still going upwards.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd love to make one with the kids. Would be a fun project.

https://i.giphy.com/media/CpgNjk2E54p7W/giphy.webp
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#22]

I never asked anyone permission to make and use them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#23]
If you take the end caps off of a sport bike muffler it will make a pretty quiet suppressor, or so I’ve been told
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#24]
so, where can i buy ether without them thinking I'm making meth?  Also, how much is used per shot?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
so, where can i buy ether without them thinking I'm making meth?  Also, how much is used per shot?
View Quote

Just go to any auto parts store and buy a can of starting fluid.

Just give it one shot like you are clicking a mouse, if it's not enough boom, adjust accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Used to make them all the time as kids.. now I have a giant compressed air canon. That thing is no joke.. 130 psi, I can launch a half full caulk tube a good 3-400 yards..
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just give it one shot like you are clicking a mouse, if it's not enough boom, adjust accordingly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Will be doing this soon.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Check this bad boy out.. I've seen it fire..Holy Fuck

Newtons Law pneumatic cannon

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#30]
With reducers/adapters you can make any size barrel you want. 1/2" with baby carrots went through drywall. Also if anyone's grandpa gave them a coffee can of 1/2" ball bearings
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Most fun one I had was the little one I made with a 2 inch chamber and 1 inch barrel. Made it look like an RPG, put the grill sparker in a grip. I would launch small green tomatoes and small apples that weren't ripe scary fast. Put an arrow in after the apple or tomato it flew pretty good.

I think it is still at my parents house, no way I would fire it 18 years later.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Tagged. I’ve been meaning to build a pretend RPG for some time. Was going to make it launch model rockets but this may be a better noise maker
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Schedule 40 and 80 pvc is pressure rated if yo go pneumatic.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in IA. A machine gun, unregistered SBR/SBS "or other object" which fires a projectile greater than 6/10 of an inch is illegal.

That said, it would be an addon charge, like if you ahot your neighbor with it and he called the cops. They wouldn't bother charging you for launching potatoes across the pond.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
With reducers/adapters you can make any size barrel you want. 1/2" with baby carrots went through drywall. Also if anyone's grandpa gave them a coffee can of 1/2" ball bearings
View Quote

This is true. I found a piece of conduit at Home Depot that perfectly fit AA batteries, they would slide in smoothly. It was downright scary. My pneumatic gun would shoot a AA battery through 1/2" plywood no problem. It didn't penetrate through a double layer of 1/2" plywood at 120 psi, but almost. Second sheet was very damaged but not quite penetrated.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I have always wanted to make a side by side double spud gun...
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Pro tip: Use pressure rated PVC, and not the foam-core stuff.

and wear your safety glasses.

I got a spray bottle that could be adjusted to 'mist', and used 100% rubbing alcohol. Works very well. Nice clean projectiles. Used an HEI ignition module and coil from a junked Chevy.

I always wanted to finger out how to make a firecracker ignite and explode midair or at the target.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can make a compressed air version that has no firearm manufacturing risk
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#39]
I still have one a made a few years back. It’s about 7 feet long. Uses a taser for its ignition source. Kicks pretty good. I used butane as the fuel.

Bevel the barrel for easy potato fitment. Bevel it inside and outside. It will squeeze the potato a bit. This will make sense in a minute.

Chamber is made from pressure rated 4 in pvc. A 4 to 2 reducer. The end cap is just a regular pvc thread on plug lubricate the threaded plug with a large amount of grease or petro jelly. The barrel is nearly 4 feet long. Chamber is 3 feet. There is a bolt inserted from each side to create the arc via a cheap taser. It’s a very reliable ignition. To load. You insert the potato into the muzzle and ensure you have a good deal. You then open the chamber and give a .75 to 1 second shot off the butane canister. You then put the end cap on. Using the ram rod you push the potato to the base of the barrel. The reason you want petro jelly or grease on the threaded cap is that you are now actually pressurizing the chamber. The chamber is at about 4 psi of pressure before ignition. Attach taser and fire. You will get much more distance on the potato’s.

Less is more when it comes to fuel. Put no potato in it and fire it off with nothing in the chamber and you will get a 10 foot blue jet flame to launch out of the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I still have one a made a few years back. It’s about 7 feet long. Uses a taser for its ignition source. Kicks pretty good. I used butane as the fuel.

Bevel the barrel for easy potato fitment. Bevel it inside and outside. It will squeeze the potato a bit. This will make sense in a minute.

Chamber is made from pressure rated 4 in pvc. A 4 to 2 reducer. The end cap is just a regular pvc thread on plug lubricate the threaded plug with a large amount of grease or petro jelly. The barrel is nearly 4 feet long. Chamber is 3 feet. There is a bolt inserted from each side to create the arc via a cheap taser. It’s a very reliable ignition. To load. You insert the potato into the muzzle and ensure you have a good deal. You then open the chamber and give a .75 to 1 second shot off the butane canister. You then put the end cap on. Using the ram rod you push the potato to the base of the barrel. The reason you want petro jelly or grease on the threaded cap is that you are now actually pressurizing the chamber. The chamber is at about 4 psi of pressure before ignition. Attach taser and fire. You will get much more distance on the potato’s.

Less is more when it comes to fuel. Put no potato in it and fire it off with nothing in the chamber and you will get a 10 foot blue jet flame to launch out of the barrel.
View Quote

I understand your point about the compression, but it seems pretty sketchy charging it before loading it with a potato. I'd definitely want to have a significant safety mechanism in place (like removal of the battery for the ignitor).
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Watermelon vs Potato in Slow Motion - Smarter Every Day 155
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I understand your point about the compression, but it seems pretty sketchy charging it before loading it with a potato. I'd definitely want to have a significant safety mechanism in place (like removal of the battery for the ignitor).
View Quote

There is a safety. The taser is entirely disconnected from the launcher.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Coleman lantern sparker for the ignition
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#44]
You’re kidding, right?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:39:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Coleman lantern sparker for the ignition
View Quote

Rookie stuff. Gotta kick it up a notch.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a muzzle loader that doesn't use fixed ammunition (ammo that's self contained in a cartridge form). It's not a firearm in any legal sense.

Eta: a bigger bore is not necessarily better. I used a 2in pipe for mine and found it's a little difficult to find big enough potatoes to create an adequate seal. I'd recommend 1.5in pvc.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Saw one made of steel tubing welded together. About a week later the guy had a BBQ & broke it out to show his guests. My Father told me the back blew of & the guy was standing behind it & took it in the grill. Blood & teeth...
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#48]
This thread is relevant to my interest
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Saw one made of steel tubing welded together. About a week later the guy had a BBQ & broke it out to show his guests. My Father told me the back blew of & the guy was standing behind it & took it in the grill. Blood & teeth...
View Quote

I’m guessing it broke at a weld?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#50]
I feel like I should take photos of mine after work and l post them here. It's pretty cool really.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top