Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2020 8:47:19 PM EDT

Such a kickass system.  Combined with the spartan they were pretty damn effective.

Mach 10 in seconds,  The missile traveled so fast it glowed like a white star on the way to its target due to plasma being generated around it.

There is remnants of these sites all around me.  

This is not an accurate paint scheme.  

This is..

Super Pointy Sprint Missile - 0 to Mach 10 in 15 Seconds - 100Gs & 6000°F

SPRINT missile from Martin Marietta - Florida

SPRINT ABM - Zero to Mach 10 in 5 Seconds!

The Par, the Spartan and the Sprint. Par is the radar for tracking and acquiring threats and guiding the missiles. Spartan was for out of atmosphere intercepts and the Sprint was for in atmosphere intercepts.

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The Nekoma site is an amazing place. My trip report here:  https://www.coldwartourist.com/stanley-r-mickelsen-safeguard-complex
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Super high tech for the time, but not cost effective.

Warheads are cheap.

Interceptors are EXPENSIVE.

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Nekoma site is an amazing place. My trip report here:  https://www.coldwartourist.com/stanley-r-mickelsen-safeguard-complex
View Quote

I have loads of pics from there.  I don't have them hosted for some reason.  Lazy.  

Nekoma was a par site and missile field containing spartans and sprints.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

As a side note... All the housing from Nekoma was maintained in limbo.  It was moved out and donated to a couple of the reservations in the state.  Most of the houses have been destroyed due to incompetence on the part of the new homeowners.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow that's awesome
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Warheads are cheap.

View Quote

Cheap insurance if it was ever needed.  

Nekoma is what brought the USSR to the table.  It terrified the commies.  It was successful enough that it essentially killed itself.  It kicked off the SALT treaty which in the end killed it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have loads of pics from there.  I don't have them hosted for some reason.  Lazy.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/download__1__png-1666246.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/download_png-1666247.JPG

As a side note... All the housing from Nekoma was maintained in limbo.  It was moved out and donated to a couple of the reservations in the state.  Most of the houses have been destroyed due to incompetence on the part of the new homeowners.
View Quote
Nekoma was the MSR while the PAR was just east of Langdon.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/download__1__png-1666246.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/download_png-1666247.JPG

You are correct.  

The  Precision approach radar or PAR is still in use.  It is between Langdon and Cavalier.  

I don't know why I effed that up.  

The Missile site radar or MSR is in the Nekoma complex.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#8]
@moose201

I haven't seen that.  Nice write up!
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#9]
In service for a year.

Money well spent I guess
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nekoma is what brought the USSR to the table.  It terrified the commies.  It was successful enough that it essentially killed itself.  It kicked off the SALT treaty which in the end killed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Warheads are cheap.

ABM Treaty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Ballistic_Missile_Treaty
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#11]
If the politicians really had confidence in Mutual Assured Destruction avoid nukes inbound why is there helicopters and planes always ready to get them to safety. While nothing for everyone else.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@moose201

View Quote
Thank you! Nice people up there in North Dakota.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Which was part of or a result of the salt treaty.  

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1969-1976/salt

"Johnson therefore called for strategic arms limitations talks (SALT), and in 1967, he and Soviet Premier Alexei Kosygin met at Glassboro State College in New Jersey. Johnson said they must gain “control of the ABM race,” and Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara argued that the more each reacted to the other’s escalation, the more they had chosen “an insane road to follow.” While abolition of nuclear weapons would be impossible, limiting the development of both offensive and defensive strategic systems would stabilize U.S.-Soviet relations."

"Negotiations to prohibit ballistic missile defenses were first proposed by the United States in 1966 but did not begin until late 1969, as part of the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks (SALT). The ABM Treaty was signed by U.S. Pres."
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@moose201

We are a bunch of alcoholics.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If the politicians really had confidence in Mutual Assured Destruction avoid nukes inbound why is there helicopters and planes always ready to get them to safety. While nothing for everyone else.
View Quote

Continuity of command and government. Counter strike ability.  

Even they knew people would survive.  Nukes wouldn't end the entire planet,  much less the country.  But it would sure make life miserable.

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#16]
We should bring a modern version or similar one back into service. It was cancelled due to Soviet propaganda, helpful idiots, and dumb people who would rather cities get hit by a ICBM than detonate a relatively low-radiation nuke in the sky to stop it because the fallout might hurt them.

Also I assume we used it as leverage to get better terms in various US-Soviet nuke treaties, but those are out the window now with Russia and China both not giving a shit about treaties.

It remains a very viable method for destroying hypersonic cruise missiles ICBMs, at least while they are still at high altitude.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#17]
@moose201  

Have you been to the Ronald Reagan Minuteman site?  O-0 and N-33.

Also.. If you are in the area in the summer,  RSL 3 outside of Cavalier,  East of the PAR radar is a sprint site that is privately owned,  The owner will give tours of it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Which was part of or a result of the salt treaty.  

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1969-1976/salt

"Johnson therefore called for strategic arms limitations talks (SALT), and in 1967, he and Soviet Premier Alexei Kosygin met at Glassboro State College in New Jersey. Johnson said they must gain “control of the ABM race,” and Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara argued that the more each reacted to the other’s escalation, the more they had chosen “an insane road to follow.” While abolition of nuclear weapons would be impossible, limiting the development of both offensive and defensive strategic systems would stabilize U.S.-Soviet relations."

"Negotiations to prohibit ballistic missile defenses were first proposed by the United States in 1966 but did not begin until late 1969, as part of the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks (SALT). The ABM Treaty was signed by U.S. Pres."
View Quote

TLDR:
If Johnson and McNamara had balls we would have broken the Soviet Union at least a decade earlier than Reagan did it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#19]
The acceleration rate of the Sprint missile is simply mind-blowing. Even more so when you consider it's fifty-year old technology.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Now that's what I call skeet shooting.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

trash gonna be trash. F welfare assistance. unbelievable

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@moose201  

Have you been to the Ronald Reagan Minuteman site?  O-0 and N-33.

https://live.staticflickr.com/1663/25616645614_2485be615d_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/1646/26128956962_a6fd0a8d96_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/1460/25616649874_82048db3fa_b.jpg

Also.. If you are in the area in the summer,  RSL 3 outside of Cavalier,  East of the PAR radar is a sprint site that is privately owned,  The owner will give tours of it.
View Quote
Yes! I've highlighted RSL 3 here:  https://www.coldwartourist.com/remote-sprint-launch-site

I'll be adding my trip report for the Ronald Reagan Minuteman Site at some point along with the Minuteman National Historic Site in SD. Lots of cool stuff up there on the northern plains.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:43:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We should bring a modern version or similar one back into service. It was cancelled due to Soviet propaganda, helpful idiots, and dumb people who would rather cities get hit by a ICBM than detonate a relatively low-radiation nuke in the sky to stop it because the fallout might hurt them.

Also I assume we used it as leverage to get better terms in various US-Soviet nuke treaties, but those are out the window now with Russia and China both not giving a shit about treaties.

It remains a very viable method for destroying hypersonic cruise missiles ICBMs, at least while they are still at high altitude.
View Quote

Ground-Based Midcourse Defense (GMD) has been operational since Oct. 2004 with it's first interceptor emplaced at Ft. Greely AK.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-Based_Midcourse_Defense
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Warheads are cheap.

View Quote
cheaper than losing a city
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ground-Based Midcourse Defense (GMD) has been operational since Oct. 2004 with it's first interceptor emplaced at Ft. Greely AK.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slower and no proximity kill ability. It's a nice system but it's no Sprint.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Went on a nuke tour this fall.
Oscar-0, Nekoma, Cavalier.
If you make it to Nekoma you need to stop at the Pain Killer.
Great people.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Warheads are cheap.

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#28]

I went to elementary school across the street from that missile. My choir classroom was closer to the base of that missile than its tip is.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I went to elementary school across the street from that missile. My choir classroom was closer to the base of that missile than its tip is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice.  That's the missile in Langdon IIRC.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Here's the control screen during guidance phase.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what?

GMD doesn't need nuke warheads (detonating over the US or Canada's soil!) since it's hit-to-kill and it's designed to protect the whole country vs. ICBM missile fields.  Oh and the big one:  It's been operational for over 16 years vs. Safeguard's ~1 year operational record.

I'll take actual protection from ICBMs over flash any day of the week.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 1:21:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We are a bunch of alcoholics.  

View Quote

I was just up that way last week, drove by the SRMSC. One of our cranes is doing a blade change at the wind farm just south of Langdon. Unfortunately it was just a drop and run for me so I only spent a couple of hours up there.
Top Top