Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2020 7:26:33 PM EDT
A favorite now that warm weather is here and at least here in the South okra pods are starting to show up in the markets. These are "refrigerator pickles". No fresh Habanero? I've used dried red pepper flakes, whole dried De Arbol chiles, fresh serranos, big fresh red Cayenne...whatever. No fresh dill? Use dried dill weed. You can also dump all the spices/seeds into the bottom of the jar and add the hot vinegar/water/salt brine. It's all good.

Crunchy and delicious.

Yield: makes 1 Quart
Ingredients
1 lb. okra
4 cloves garlic
3 sprigs fresh dill
1 habanero or Scotch bonnet chile, stemmed and halved
2 cups white wine vinegar or plain white vinegar
2 tbsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 tbsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tbsp. fennel seeds
8 whole black peppercorns

Instructions:

Combine okra, garlic, dill, and chile in a sterilized 2-qt. glass jar; set aside. Bring vinegar, salt, both seeds, peppercorns, and 1 3/4 cups water to a boil in a 4-qt. saucepan over high heat, stirring to dissolve salt. Pour into jar, seal, and let cool to room temperature; allow to cure in the refrigerator for a week. refrigerate for up to 1 month.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Send some my way! They sound great.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 3:06:10 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a brand sold at stores that's not bad.

ETA
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 3:52:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I like "Talk O' Texas" okra; pretty sure it has national distribution.

But the recipe I posted is much better. Very crunchy.

The only issue is that fresh okra in stores is not as common as it used to be and probably unheard of in some parts of the country. I found a 12 oz. bag of fresh pods at Aldi ($2.50). Not the best shape but the pods were generally small to medium in size. I avoid the big ones as they tend to be tough.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I love pickled okra.  Not sure if I'd like a spicy version, but I'd give it a shot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:41:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like "Talk O' Texas" okra; pretty sure it has national distribution.

But the recipe I posted is much better. Very crunchy.

The only issue is that fresh okra in stores is not as common as it used to be and probably unheard of in some parts of the country. I found a 12 oz. bag of fresh pods at Aldi ($2.50). Not the best shape but the pods were generally small to medium in size. I avoid the big ones as they tend to be tough.
View Quote

Local farmers markets are your best bet for fresh okra.
Yeah, smaller are better, once they get beyond 3 inches they begin to get tough.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Local farmers markets are your best bet for fresh okra.
Yeah, smaller are better, once they get beyond 3 inches they begin to get tough.
View Quote

Yep.

Went to Walmart Neighborhood Market this morning looking for fennel bulb (nope) and noticed that they had 12 oz. packs of okra pods. Price: was either $3.50 or $4.50. Either way...OUCH. At that price I may as well get the Talk O' Texas jars.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:39:21 AM EDT
[#7]
After sitting in the fridge for...4-5 days I decided to do a taste test this morning....

Delicious. Awesome. Crunchy. CRUNCHY
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice recipe.

Getting FRESH SMALL pods is critical!

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Went to Aldi this morning and while they had plenty of those 12 oz. packs available the pods looked terrible and many packages had rotting product in them. Yuk.

Went to the farmers market this afternoon (3 vendors you call that a 'farmers market?) and got some disappointing strawberries no okra to be found.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Those are always in my fridge.  Great for bloody marys and martinis.

I also have some custom made pickled asparagus.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't forget Dilly Beans!

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:12:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Pontificator you have read my mind.

This year I planted okra, garlic, habaneros, golden cayennes, dragon cayennes, sweet heat, radishes and tomatoes.

My plan being spicy pickled okra, kimchi, hot sauce, salsa etc.

Thanks for the recipe!

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#13]
LOVE pickled okra!! Going to try this recipe asap. I have done several batches of cold packed pickles from recipes here on arfcom with great success, so I don't see any reason these would be any different. Thanks, OP.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#14]
also...banana pepper refrigerator pickles

https://www.pepperscale.com/pickled-banana-peppers/
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 2:13:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Got some decent okra from a roadside stand yesterday and "put them up" (in the fridge) earlier this evening.

Seriously, I don't bother measuring the spices. I put a clove or two of garlic in the bottom of the jar and dump in whatever amount of fennel seed, mustard seed, dill weed, peppercorns, and red pepper flakes/chiles strikes me as GTG. Stuff in the pods. I do measure out the vinegar, water, and salt: 1.5 cups of each and two heaping tsp. of Kosher salt from the salt pig on the counter. Boil it up, pour in the jar, let the bubbles come up then top it off and loosely seal. When cooled screw down the top and into the fridge.

In 4 days...heaven.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:15:03 AM EDT
[#16]
if you can okra, try pasteurizing.results in a much crunchier product, as they aren't boiled.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#17]
if you can okra, try pasteurizing.results in a much crunchier product, as they aren't boiled.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 2:05:29 AM EDT
[#18]
The last time I hot packed okra was about 15 years ago. I think I used the recipe in Ball's "Blue Book of Canning".

Tasty okra pickles but not crisp.

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP's recipe doesn't mention boiling the okra, but adding the hot vinegar to the okra.

Combine okra, garlic, dill, and chile in a sterilized 2-qt. glass jar; set aside. Bring vinegar, salt, both seeds, peppercorns, and 1 3/4 cups water to a boil in a 4-qt. saucepan over high heat, stirring to dissolve salt. Pour into jar, seal, and let cool to room temperature; allow to cure in the refrigerator for a week. refrigerate for up to 1 month.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I add citric acid when I hot can, and it keeps things crisp.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

OP's recipe doesn't mention boiling the okra, but adding the hot vinegar to the okra.

View Quote

Correct. the recipe that i posted in the OP is for 'cold pack' aka refrigerator pickles.

The pasteurization suggestion was obviously another way to "hot pack" (can) the product. Again, I might try it someday.

To be honest, I don't hot pack/can vegetables/pickles much. As a kid growing up in North Central Ohio we used to put up stuff (pickles, tomatoes) and freeze stuff (berries, corn) all the time. 50 years later not so much.

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#22]
This the way I make pickled carrots, jalapeno, onions.  ( escabeche )
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This the way I make pickled carrots, jalapeno, onions.  ( escabeche )
View Quote

Got those in the fridge as well; not hot enough, though.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I found some beautiful okra yesterday (12 oz. pack) in of all places, WM Neighborhood Market. Best I've seen.

Of course it was refrigerator pickled as soon as I got it home. Used two dried De Arbol chiles with stems removed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#25]
My parents and I went in on a bushel of okra today.  Ended up with 3 quarts of okra pickles.  Would have been 4 but we ran out of white vinegar.  Fresh herbs and peppers are hard to find down here, and nobody that stocks mustard seeds had any.  We made do with what we could find.  

Attachment Attached File

Can't wait to try them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My parents and I went in on a bushel of okra today.  Ended up with 3 quarts of okra pickles.  Would have been 4 but we ran out of white vinegar.  Fresh herbs and peppers are hard to find down here, and nobody that stocks mustard seeds had any.  We made do with what we could find.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/214097/IMG_0348_jpg-1509896.JPG

Can't wait to try them.
View Quote

Those look good. I tend to pack my okra pods tight in the jar: spices first, then pack in a bottom layer of okra pods pointed end up then the second layer of pods pointed end down. But it's a free-form recipe

NO whole mustard seed? Go to Pendery's (not Penzey's) and order some. Granted this spice can be a bit pricey.
NO fresh chile peppers? In LA? Wow. Admittedly the produce section in markets here has been lacking due to 'rona.

Give 'em 4-5 days...and then give us a report.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Those look good. I tend to pack my okra pods tight in the jar: spices first, then pack in a bottom layer of okra pods pointed end up then the second layer of pods pointed end down. But it's a free-form recipe

NO whole mustard seed? Go to Pendery's (not Penzey's) and order some. Granted this spice can be a bit pricey.
NO fresh chile peppers? In LA? Wow. Admittedly the produce section in markets here has been lacking due to 'rona.

Give 'em 4-5 days...and then give us a report.
View Quote

I’m in a small town, about all I can find is jalapeños and poblanos. If i drive to Lake Charles there’s probably a better selection of peppers but its out of my way and this was kind of a last minute thing. I’ll be more prepared next time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#28]
As I posted before more often than not I use 2-3 dried de arbol chiles. Found in Mexican section of groceries Aldi has them, too. Or I just use crushed red pepper flakes.

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I could eat a 5 gallon bucket of that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top