BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well... I mean not even the titular Enterprise was the first ship of its line.

Original Trek Enterprise was a Constitution class vessel.  The first ship of that line was named the Constitution.

Next gen... it was a Galaxy class...
updated one for the later movies was a Sovereign Class.

I'm not sure... but maybe the one from Enterprise ... since it was an experimental prototype ship might have been the only time the Enterprise was the first ship in a line.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it should become a tradition that the first spaceship of a line that is American made should be named Enterprise.

Original Trek Enterprise was a Constitution class vessel.  The first ship of that line was named the Constitution.

I'm not sure... but maybe the one from Enterprise ... since it was an experimental prototype ship might have been the only time the Enterprise was the first ship in a line.

Has Star Trek established that class naming convention in canon, or is that just a reasonable assumption based on modern conventions?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Personally, I am against any military tradition being based on a cheesy television show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it should become a tradition that the first spaceship of a line that is American made should be named Enterprise.

Personally, I am against any military tradition being based on a cheesy television show.

Nonsense. Red shirts for all Space Force security forces! I have spoken.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pfft. Says you.

Nick
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Has Star Trek established that class naming convention in canon, or is that just a reasonable assumption based on modern conventions?
View Quote

Rando tangent.

Reason number 23 why I detest Star Trek Discovery. Discovery is a Scott Crossfield class starship.

Not only is that, (at least in my book) dishonoring the memory of my favorite test pilot. There is no USS Scott Crossfield in that fictional universe. The only ships of that class were the USS Discovery and the USS Glenn.

Attachment Attached File

Find me an uglier and more glitchy spaceship in all of fiction than this POS.

Star Trek naming conventions are a mess. In canon there are 2 Miranda class starships with the name Saratoga.

Edit.

If anyone ever makes a Scott Crossfield class starship it had better be impressive looking and fast as fuck. I've even played around with a story idea of a 'spore drive' but used strictly as a navigational system. Not a way of powering a ship.

Another edit.

Crossfield helped in the designing and was the first test pilot of the X15. Outlaw Star did a decent job of creating a fictional updated and enlarged X15.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well - we don't have royalty. We had to pick something!

View Quote

The USN has named a few vessels Enterprise. The nation has a valid history with the name well beyond the entertainment provided by the shows and movies.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

heretic!

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

heretic!
View Quote

Heresy?

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sez the guy with a red shirt avatar.

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ahem.  HISTORICAL DOCUMENTS!  
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes that is canon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes that is canon.

Interesting. Never really thought about it until this thread.

Always thought the Enterprise D was first Galaxy class... and don't even remember mention of class in TOS. Not that I ever laid that level of attention.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:32:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Always thought the Enterprise D was first Galaxy class... and don't even remember mention of class in TOS. Not that I ever laid that level of attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes that is canon.

There was the sister ship that was a galaxy class that blew itself up.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#13]
NASA astronauts will be ringing the bell to open the NASDAQ this morning.

Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I want to say the Enterprise was the third one.  Galaxy and Yamato were made first.   I think the Odyssey from DS9 was the only other one given a name.  You saw a few in formations and fleet battles toward the end of DS9.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Think this booster is a one and done?
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I doubt SpaceX is going to discard ~$25m of good equipment that is still usable.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Maybe" the Crew Dragon is but is SpaceX going to convert those to Cargo Dragons?
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Beautiful. Just beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's going to be refurbished and flown again.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The way I understood it, humans would only be on the first ride for the boosters.  I wonder if that will ever change.
View Quote

once they have a long line of no-failures with re-used boosters, it is possible that NASA will allow them to be man-rated.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Elon Musk said he’s concerned about the re-entry. Slowing down from Mach 5 Mach 25 as it hits the atmosphere could be problematic due to the asymmetric design of the re-entry vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#26]

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1267917354647904263.html?refreshed=yes
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Elon Musk said he’s concerned about the re-entry. Slowing down from Mach 5 as it hits the atmosphere could be problematic due to the asymmetric design of the re-entry vehicle.
View Quote

ISS orbits at 4.76 miles / second.

That’s more like Mach 25.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Elon Musk said he’s concerned about the re-entry. Slowing down from Mach 5 as it hits the atmosphere could be problematic due to the asymmetric design of the re-entry vehicle.
View Quote

Well that's piss poor timing to bring that up now.

WTF Elon ???
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's mostly out of the atmosphere.

Although there is some atmospheric drag even at that altitude necessitating occasional boosts.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't his concern with the booster and not the capsule's return? The booster wasn't doing that when it came in. I am not sure what the ISS's velocity has to do with it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Elon Musk's biggest worry about SpaceX's first astronaut mission isn't the rocket launch — it's the spaceship's return to Earth

"Musk added that while the threat was low, his "biggest concern" about the new spaceship was the capsule's asymmetric design, which is driven by its emergency escape system. While screaming back to Earth at 25 times the speed of sound, the capsule's heat shield will deflect and absorb the energy of superheated plasma — but the forces of atmospheric reentry have a slim chance of causing catastrophe."

"If you rotate too much, then you could potentially catch the plasma in the super Draco escape thruster pods," Musk said, adding this could overheat parts of the ship or cause it to lose control (by wobbling). "We've looked at this six ways to Sunday, so it's not that I think this will fail. It's just that I worry a bit that it is asymmetric on the backshell."
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Although there is some atmospheric drag even at that altitude necessitating occasional boosts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the good fortune to fly the full motion Shuttle sim two times. We flew several launch abort and reentry profiles. On one of the reentry profiles we were just at the edge of the atmosphere and the airspeed tape was dead. We were showing Mach 32 with 0 indicated airspeed. As we started to just bump the upper air the airspeed started to just barely move 1-2 knots Mach 25. As soon as we had airspeed the computer switched from reaction jets to aerodynamic control surfaces. The switch was flawless, we proceeded to fly it to touchdown KSC.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Elon Musk's biggest worry about SpaceX's first astronaut mission isn't the rocket launch — it's the spaceship's return to Earth

"Musk added that while the threat was low, his "biggest concern" about the new spaceship was the capsule's asymmetric design, which is driven by its emergency escape system. While screaming back to Earth at 25 times the speed of sound, the capsule's heat shield will deflect and absorb the energy of superheated plasma — but the forces of atmospheric reentry have a slim chance of causing catastrophe."

"If you rotate too much, then you could potentially catch the plasma in the super Draco escape thruster pods," Musk said, adding this could overheat parts of the ship or cause it to lose control (by wobbling). "We've looked at this six ways to Sunday, so it's not that I think this will fail. It's just that I worry a bit that it is asymmetric on the backshell."
View Quote

Copy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's going to be refurbished and flown again.
View Quote

SpaceX will continue to need new first stages to replace those that are lost due to failures like two earlier this year.  With as many Starlink launches as they will need and as few astronaut launches each year, I  don't see a problem.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Elon Musk said he’s concerned about the re-entry. Slowing down from Mach 5 Mach 25 as it hits the atmosphere could be problematic due to the asymmetric design of the re-entry vehicle.
View Quote

It's not like they haven't done this before, multiple times.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh.

It's easy !!!

http://nassp.sourceforge.net/wiki/Entry_Monitoring_System#:~:text=Command%20Module%20Reentry,-
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I agree that Elon doesn’t “run” SpaceX in terms of actual operations.  His role is to provide the vision and direction for them, but he has extremely competent people actually running the operations for him.
View Quote
Several former SpaceX employees tell similar stories of when they said something was impossible, and Elon Musk pushed them aside and did it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#38]
You video game nerds that are following this thread should wrap your heads around this.
Done with slide rules !!!

Apollo - Atmospheric Entry Phase (1968)
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Several former SpaceX employees tell similar stories of when they said something was impossible, and Elon Musk pushed them aside and did it.
View Quote

It is well known that Musk is more than just a figurehead.  He doesn't call himself the CEO or such, he calls himself the Chief Designer (something like that) because he does go to the CAD, table, and back of a napkin often.  The dude designed the F9, the engines also.  He is our generation's Howard Hughes.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#40]

That is what freedom and success looks like!
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless it goes to the rocket garden or smithsonian or on a stand in front of Spacex, it will most certainly launch starlinks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

With basically the same capsule even. Where did he say this anyways? Would like a link to that
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

With basically the same capsule even. Where did he say this anyways? Would like a link to that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really, the crew dragon capsule with the super Draco escape thrusters has only flown to space and back once, unmanned. It’s a very different outer mold line than the cargo dragon.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not really, the crew dragon capsule with the super Draco escape thrusters has only flown to space and back once, unmanned. It’s a very different outer mold line than the cargo dragon.
View Quote

Yes, it has flown and landed already once. They should have gotten a little bit of data from that.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes, it has flown and landed already once. They should have gotten a little bit of data from that.
View Quote

Well I see your new avatar is functioning.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 6:20:53 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#48]
retracting the legs while still on OCISLY and not attached to the crane, the Octograbber is keeping it steady.

they haven't done that before

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#49]
finished

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#50]
do they bring the legs to 90deg to assist with aerodynamic braking?

I don't recall seeing them deployed until just before touchdown

edit: probably disrupts the airflow to the mesh fins near the top
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top