Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2021 4:09:21 PM EDT
Interesting to see that it's actually somewhat common. I had no idea. This past week I hit some PRs for deadlift and squat, but then my throat hurt the next week/day. I thought maybe it was a weird rona symptom or something, but it persisted for a few more days, so I checked it out and found this:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31281011/

"Results: Weightlifting was part of 78.7% (n = 70/89) of participants' workout routine. Nearly half (46%, n = 12/26) of self-identified weightlifting athletes reported suffering from at least one laryngeal symptom (throat pain, change in voice, or globus sensation), which was significantly higher (P= 0.008) than that reported by the cardiovascular group (14%, n = 4/29). The most prevalent laryngeal symptom reported by 25.3% (n = 17) of participants after weightlifting was the presence of a globus sensation (ie, the feeling of something stuck in their throat). Throat pain after heavy lifting and a change in voice quality after weightlifting was reported by 22.9% (n = 16) and 11.4% (n = 8) of participants respectively. There were no significant differences (P> 0.05) between reported laryngeal symptoms and the self-reported laryngeal behaviors used during weightlifting (ie, breath hold during the lift, simultaneous release of breath during the lift, or grunting/yelling during the lift).

Conclusions: As weightlifting increases in popularity, many participants may find themselves experiencing throat pain or hoarseness after heavy lifts. Whilst a particular cause of these symptoms in weightlifters cannot be identified from this study, the reported presence of pain, globus sensation, and change in voice by this group indicates the need for further research."

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Before my quad tendon let go, I lifted very heavy for 2 decades. I still lift heavy (within the limitations of my age and knee condition). Never got a sore throat from it
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
They studied 89 people? Total?!?

Exercise science papers are notoriously shitty. I wouldn’t believe many even if they are “published.”
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe it's all of the gutteral screaming as loud as they can from "certain" people that lift....
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Exercise science papers are notoriously shitty. I wouldn’t believe many even if they are “published.”
View Quote

Some of them are redickoulous (along with nutrition science).

Small statistically insignificant sample sizes and poor controls
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Designed to sell a supplement or a weight loss or muscle gain system.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
"Weightifting."  

This is "weightlifting"

CLEAN & JERK 270 kg - Lasha Talakhadze @talakhadzelasha - Olympic Weightlifting

And this is "weight lifting"

How to Do Standing Dumbbell Curls

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#7]
It was probably new people that weren't accustomed to sucking wind.

The only time you should be breathing through your mouth when you are exercising near the top end of your heart rate range. It dries your throat out a bit when you do if you aren't used to it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It was probably new people that weren't accustomed to sucking wind.

The only time you should be breathing through your mouth when you are exercising near the top end of your heart rate range. It dries your throat out a bit when you do if you aren't used to it.
View Quote

Been lifting basically my entire adult life, played a D1 sport, I know the difference between sucking wind until your teeth hurt and you puke, and this. Totally different feeling. Who knows, maybe it was the new indy 'rona I guess.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Could be while going for a PR you threw up a little into your throat or something, stomach acid can make your throat sore and your voice screwy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top