Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/4/2021 1:58:08 PM EDT
Good news is he lives outside of tiwn.

He's 32 and a safety Nazi.

Was practicing mag change drills and grabbed a loaded mag by mistake.  So  being a bullpup not being able to see his failure he sent a round out of his window and into the dirt

I'm shocked that he failed.

His wife is less than pleased

Lesson learned.

Yes his ears hurt
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
How do you confused a loaded mag for an empty one? Even if you don't visually inspect; I would think that the weight difference would be a dead give away.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If he truly was a safety Nazi, he would have dummy mags painted yellow without followers or springs to make sure he doesn't have an ND.

He could have killed the meter reader!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If he truly was a safety Nazi, he would have dummy mags painted yellow without followers or springs to make sure he doesn't have an ND.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#4]
He couldn't feel the weight difference in a empty mag and a full one?

Glad no one was hurt...
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah when I do dryfire drills it doesn't happen in the same room as any ammo, in mags or not.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#6]
i'm confused.  loaded mag vs empty mag weight difference would have been immediately obvious no?
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah when I do dryfire drills it doesn't happen in the same room as any ammo, in mags or not.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i'm confused.  loaded mag vs empty mag weight difference would have been immediately obvious no?
View Quote

Not to mention when you pull the charging handle and the bolt doesn't hold open

Even if the bolt was already open and all he did was release it, the sound & feel of the bolt picking up a round and carrying it into the chamber is totally different than the sound & feel of the bolt just smacking closed on an empty chamber......

......something is fucky here.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Function drills with live ammo or loaded magazines in the same room seldom work out very well.

Glad the only thing hurt was a pane of glass or a screen.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#10]
safety. nazi.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Even without the ND the situation didn't scream safety nazi.

It screamed, "I'm being careless and eventually I'm going to mess up."
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Safety Nazi.    Grabbed loaded mag.   Fired AUG.

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He couldn't feel the weight difference in a empty mag and a full one?

Glad no one was hurt...
View Quote

No shit, that's not even taking into account the fact that a mag change drill doesn't necessitate pulling the trigger. His wife is justifiably pissed, because he exhibited dumbass behavior. But at least nobody got ventilated.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like something a dumbass might do.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Insert did nazi this coming joke.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm glad I don't dry fire ever.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

I have magazines specifically painted that are loaded with snap caps... they're in a tackle box. Painted bright orange.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Well ok then
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad no one was hurt, just his ego.

One I took a pistol home unknowingly with a  chambered round , normally I unload all my guns before I leave the range, but I got distracted when someone asked me a question about my gun. When I got home and was about to put the gun away, I jacked the slide just to double check and out pops a live round,  Normally loaded guns are not a problem with me,  just that it surprised me that it was still loaded.

Good thing I always double check.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#20]
At least OP didn't call it an "AD."

Because it was neither safe, nor an accident.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#21]
At least he pointed it in a safe direction?

But yeah, not everyone notices things like weight differences when they're operating on muscle memory.  I'm not a very perceptive person when it comes to things I haven't explicitly trained myself to check for.  I know this about myself though, so I wouldn't test mag changes in a room containing loaded mags...
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Not much of a safety nazi if there was ammunition anywhere close enough to get hands on it while he was doing dry practice. I mean, by definition it was no longer dry practice it was hot-range live-fire mag change practice.

It's a simple set of 4 rules designed to stop problems like this from ever happening and he violated at least 2 of them in rapid succession... treat all guns as if all guns are always loaded, don't point guns at things you're not willing to destroy.

Everyone will fuck it up at least once. It's hopeful that like most of us that survive such an incident that we immediately learn and get very sticky about the no ammo around during dry practice thing. This is not to say I'd never made a similar mistake and it was a lesson learned. It was a very loud and very embarrassing lesson to learn.

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Aside from the loaded mag difference, I can’t entirely tell I’ve chambered a round in my AUG using the bolt release.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#24]
He isn’t a safety anything if that happened.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Is the dag alright ?
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I don’t understand the point of this post.

I’d be pissed if my dad aired out my fuck ups online
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#28]
The fact he couldn't tell a loaded magazine from an empty one by feel says a lot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Also, check, double check, triple check.  If you leave the room or put the gun down, repeat.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use the fruity colored lancers that a GD thread convinced me to buy
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don’t understand the point of this post.

I’d be pissed if my dad aired out my fuck ups online
View Quote

As much as the people in this thread like talking tough and passing judgment, I think the point of this thread is to remind them that a single moment of negligence can ruin everything.  Handling firearms perfectly 100% of the time doesn't come automatically by virtue of being naturally "better" than OP's son; it takes conscious effort and humility, and sobering reminders help with that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#32]
OP keeps saying safety nazi, but I don't think he knows what that is.

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Never ever have live ammo anywhere in the area when dry fireing or practicing reloads.  
Ever
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, plus aiming at something that wouldn’t be costly in the event of an ND - Basement wall preferred when it’s an option.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm airing this out to all as a wakeup.

Yes. He screwed the pooch on this.

I asked him how he could make the mistake. And he was honest about it and owned up to it
I'm stunned about it
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't know about an AUG, but another safety step with an AR is to have a cheap ass BCG with the firing pin filed down so that even if you screwed up and put a live round in there it would never fire. You also need to paint the BCG yellow.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm airing this out to all as a wakeup.

Yes. He screwed the pooch on this.

I asked him how he could make the mistake. And he was honest about it and owned up to it
I'm stunned about it
View Quote

He probably should get a full nuero eval, maybe he is under a lot of stress at home or recently had a traumatic event.

There are numerous studies that show slip ups like he made are due to those aforemention things.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Not sure how one can mistake a full mag for an empty mag, but whatever, I’m glad at least no one gained any new holes and I’m sure lessons were learned.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Being a bullpup has nothing at all to do with anything.  You can't see your ejection port with you AR on your shoulder also.

You can be perfectly safe... until you're not.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

As used here before, maybe he is a "nazi" as in he did nazi see the mag was loaded?
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How do you confused a loaded mag for an empty one? Even if you don't visually inspect; I would think that the weight difference would be a dead give away.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Glad no one got hurt.

ProTip:  NEVER have live ammo ANYWHERE NEAR where you are conducting practice drills like that.  Just too easy to pick up a live round.
 Minimum 10 ft away -- well out of reach.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#43]
It happens.  The good news no one was hurt. In most people it serves as a wake up call to attention to details.

When I was 16 I shot a hole through my mattress. Mom made me sew up the holes and Dad made me patch the hole in the wall and paint the room.

The only safety analysis done was when my Dad said, “Hey, shit for brains, did you learn anything?”
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#44]
This is why we can't have nice things.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Obvious stuff is obvious, when you're sitting back, sipping on a coke.

When you're task-purpose focused, less so.  

Same way .300 BO rounds end up in mags, and mags of such end up in 5.56 guns.  Super obviously and only a moron can screw that up, right?  That is, until BEEP, [go fast] eye's on target [go fast], focus [go fast], grab mag/insert/drop [go fast] - KABOOM!.  

People do that.  They don't notice obvious stuff, when distracted, or just task focused and relying on muscle memory to do some of the sub-tasks.  You and I are people too.

I haven't had an AD yet at home, but in the hundred thousand or so rounds I've shot by now, I can't say I haven't sent a round downrange when I wasn't really expecting to.  Or that I haven't ever racked an empty gun and had a live round pop out.   Rare in the extreme, but yea - moments that give one pause, I'll say that!

Shit happens.  The trick is rather than relying on your attention at the time, try to build systems and practices where it's set-up where it shouldn't come down to you paying attention in the first place.  Keeping live-mags separate, etc, is the obvious first one. And that one was failed. Son was racking and running the AUG, with a live mag nearby.  He either knew, or should have known, that mag was around; but didn't think to clear his area first, to prevent just this.

Lesson learned, round didn't hurt anybody.  And he's now $0.60 poorer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#46]
If you're doing mag change drills with dryfire and somehow you can lay a hand on a loaded mag by accident you are in no way a "safety Nazi".

I have mags that I use for mag change drills.  They have the followers removed, and I add a stripe of blue tape to these mags, blue being the color used to designate inert ordnance.

They don't have the same weight as a real loaded mag.  I'm fine with that small difference in training.  If it was really important, I'd glue some lead inside to weight them.

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Years ago, at my now closed indoor firing range, the counter help got back a rental 22LR lever action Henry, yep a round was stuck in the chamber but it didn't get ejected when he worked the action; and yep, it went bang; it put a hole in the soda pop machine, that didn't belong to the range but to a vendor. They were lucky no one was hurt or worse.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Was he drunk?
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Something something House Pop something something
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top