Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2020 12:01:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Brew shops have been getting cleared out during this plague.

Never seen them like this.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Try the home brewery in ozark mo
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This

Local b&m is getting murdered, not from only homebrewing but also winemaking and distilling
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This

Local b&m is getting murdered, not from only homebrewing but also winemaking and distilling
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I've been eyeballing stills for some time, went back a few weeks ago to browse again and the booze preppers have wiped out the stock

I mean, you can slap one together but I'm looking at the higher end units
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been eyeballing stills for some time, went back a few weeks ago to browse again and the booze preppers have wiped out the stock

View Quote

"higher end unit" - lol
Unless your fabrication skills are shit, you can do better for less money on your own.

find a cheap 15gal stainless keg on craigslist.
Weld a 2" stainless sanitary fitting in the side at the bottom.
Weld a 1" NPT drain bung in the side at the bottom.
weld an 8" stainless sanitary fitting in the top.

There you go. add an internal heating element kit and whatever kind of condensing column/head/setup you want.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"higher end unit" - lol
Unless your fabrication skills are shit, you can do better for less money on your own.

There you go. add an internal heating element kit and whatever kind of condensing column/head/setup you want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"higher end unit" - lol

yeah I'm from GA & TN, I know all that shit , I was wishing for one of the self-contained jobs with an internal heating element and all that, you know, like rich people use (a guy can wish anyway)
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I started up the home brewing again after a 5 year hiatus.  Been perusing the Northern Brewer website (they are my local shop, usually just go in person) and seems like a lot more stuff is coming and going out of stock than normal.  They just sent an email for their retail stores that you can do a curbside pickup/order.  I made a big online order last night and everything I needed was unstuck including yeast and some in demand hops.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably just supply chain disruption. There's no huge reason for the yeast to get scarce. Less beer is being brewed right now, I am guessing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

IDK, both shops I went to said they were getting slammed with orders.

I've been propagating my house lager yeast for the last week to build up my supply since it's iffy finding that locally in normal times.

View Quote

Are there any disadvantages to propagating yeast yourself like shelf life, flavor, or hitting an eventual end of life of the yeast being able to reproduce?  Some fungi can only grow X distance from their original spore before they’re at end of life so you need to store 1st generation cell cultures to keep the isolate eternal. Any ideas if the beer-style yeast + DME propagation will work for bread yeast (not sourdough starter though) or wine/whiskey type yeast (at least without affecting the flavor severely)?  Seems like I can only find beer related videos on yeast propagation.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 8:26:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top