Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2022 6:56:56 PM EDT
Thought you'd enjoy some WW2 uniforms I picked up the other day. Quite the finds.

This is a rare 82nd Chemical Mortar Battallion uniform with an uber rare bullion patch and Japanese-made DUIs. Named to Wilbur Meyers/Myers from Story County, Iowa. I've never seen a bullion 82nd CMB patch before; non-bullion patches from that unit are rare enough. As far as I know, this is the only bullion 82nd CMB patch in existence.

The super rare patch:

I also picked up Col. Edward Bird's shirt. He was with the 168th IR, 34th ID (where he was badly wounded in combat, losing a few fingers, visible in the last photo) before being transferred to the 180th IR, 45th ID. He stayed in the guard after the war and retired a Brigadier General, and the Gold Star Museum Memorial Library at Camp Dodge is named after him. He was also the president of the 34th Infantry Division association from 1947-1948.
I'll likely donate this piece to the Gold Star Museum.

Lastly, the uniform of Lieutenant Ray W. Jennings of Des Moines. He was a naval aviator before becoming Naval Intelligence. He passed away last year.

Truly amazing men.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Glad you are saving the from the dump/obscurity.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you care what some pogue wore 80 years ago?  They also look like there were sew on by a child, like random patches on a random jacket.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Incredible. Nice piece of history, OP.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#4]
OP wins today.

What's up with the stitching on the patches on the first blouse?  

I have seen that type of zig zag stitching before, sure doesn't look regulation though!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you care what some pogue wore 80 years ago?  They also look like there were sew on by a child, like random patches on a random jacket.
View Quote

Fucking Jarheads. Every time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP wins today.

I have seen that type of zig zag stitching before, sure doesn't look regulation though!!!!!
View Quote

Pretty standard for late-war/immediately postwar Class As. It's called cross-stitching and was a way to dress up a uniform. Standards weren't as strict back then and guys had more leeway, especially postwar.

Here's an original 101st patch (on a cut-down M43 jacket) with blue cross-stitching.

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pretty standard for late-war/immediately postwar Class As. It's called cross-stitching and was a way to dress up a uniform. Standards weren't as strict back then and guys had more leeway, especially postwar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP wins today.

Thanks for explaining, excellent post.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why are you acting like a tool?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#9]
That bullion patch is dead sexy!  I too am a sucker for bullion patches.  Most of my stuff is laundry marked but not really researched.

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope your day gets better.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Saw when you posted this on Facebook. Glad you went and purchased it. Beautiful.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn uniforms look basically new.

Nice find.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Here's an original 101st patch (on a cut-down M43 jacket) with blue cross-stitching.

https://i.imgur.com/Cg7NNxl.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/ikGQloB.jpeg
View Quote

It looks like dog shit.  Same as tilting their covers to one side.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're so cool
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My piss cutter had quite the rakish angle when I wore it, complete with EGA.

Easy bruh. It's ok.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go rub one out dude..seriously
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

User name fits.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#19]
The colonel's uniform has a 45th Infantry Division, Thunderbird, on it.  The 34th was a red bull's head on a black snowball.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dang.  Youre a bit of a tool arent you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who says he’s just acting?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#22]
JFC, someone needs a timeout and a nap.
Fuck the dissenter, OP was cool today.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Really cool OP!  TY for the history of each piece too!
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

sounds like someone didn't get enough crayons for breakfast this morning.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The colonel's uniform has a 45th Infantry Division, Thunderbird, on it.  The 34th was a red bull's head on a black snowball.
View Quote

Like the one on the shirt in this thread? The Red Bull is his “combat patch” and looks correct to me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Cool
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
JFC, someone needs a timeout and a nap.
Fuck the dissenter, OP was cool today.
View Quote

Sorry to derail OP, I just don't understand the fascination with uniforms old or new.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's really cool, I would have never though that real patches would look that crude, If I came across those uniforms, especially the first ones posted, I would have thought that was a costume made with old surplus uniforms.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#31]
At the beginning of WWII, the 34th Infantry Battalion HQ was at Boone Iowa. (Boone county) 20 Miles west of Ames Iowa (Story county)  There is a 34 Infantry Div HQ detachment at the Boone National Guard armory now along with 2 aviation units and an MI detachment.  I drilled out of that armory for 20 years and had 2 activations.  In 1990 for Desert Shield/Storm and 2003 for Iraqi Freedom.

As I recall, in WWII the Boone battalion deployed to Louisiana BEFORE the attack at Pearl Harbor.  After their training in Louisiana they deployed to North Africa and took on the Germans there. After the Germans left Africa the 34th went to Italy and were there until the war ended.

kwg
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
At the beginning of WWII, the 34th Infantry Battalion HQ was at Boone Iowa. (Boone county) 20 Miles west of Ames Iowa (Story county)  There is a 34 Infantry Div HQ detachment at the Boone National Guard armory now along with 2 aviation units and an MI detachment.  I drilled out of that armory for 20 years and had 2 activations.  In 1990 for Desert Shield/Storm and 2003 for Iraqi Freedom.

As I recall, in WWII the Boone battalion deployed to Louisiana BEFORE the attack at Pearl Harbor.  After their training in Louisiana they deployed to North Africa and took on the Germans there. After the Germans left Africa the 34th went to Italy and were there until the war ended.

kwg
View Quote

Correct. Btw, I live in Boone.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I've worked with Story City, Ia Meyers.

Don't know if there is any relation.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

kwg
View Quote
Yep, landed at Anzio. 34th ID that is
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sorry to derail OP, I just don't understand the fascination with uniforms old or new.
View Quote

Because they're part of history and fucking cool...thats why.

If WW2 uniforms trigger you so much maybe you'd be better of hanging around someplace more your style...like a True Romance party.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

The new and improved GD

Ass....

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Like the one on the shirt in this thread? The Red Bull is his “combat patch” and looks correct to me.
View Quote

Yeah, yore right.  Red Bull or 34th is on the right shoulder and 45th Thunderbird on the left.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some people just like military history, or militaria in general, and uniforms are a part of that.

I don't collect them myself (although I recently purchased some WWII combat uniform reproductions) but it's interesting to see how things evolved over the years, and which units did what, and how their patches looked.

I started with the weapons and wanting to know about the battles they were used in, and I don't expand much interest out to all the minutiae of clothing, but some people are really into that, or canteen collections, or whatever.

I'm getting my equipment together to do a display at a local museum when they do an annual military history event for school kids. They have some Civil War guys, but nobody there has done WWII stuff so I'll give it a shot. Never done that before, but I want to make sure everything I'm showing them is authentic to what the gear was like, how they employed it, and discuss some overall concepts of the war.

I've been in a home where a guy (now deceased) had basically a museum's worth of original (I think) uniforms (and other equipment) and he was super into all the fine details of everything, from multiple nations. I'm not at that level, and likely never will be, but hey, if they're not hurting anybody then whatever makes them happy is fine with me. People have all kinds of hobbies/collections.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Question - what is a bullion patch?  I’ve never heard that term before?  Just curious
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Question - what is a bullion patch?  I’ve never heard that term before?  Just curious
View Quote

Good question. It's a patch made with ornamental braid or trimming made with twists of gold or silver thread.

They were most often theater-made:most often German, Japanese, or even British made. I believe mine to be Japanes-made.

Most often they're USAAF patches, but other units show up.

Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Staff Sergeant Darrel Cole, namesake for the destroyer USS Cole:

Marine Lieutenant General Alan Shapley commanded USS Arizona's Marine Detachment as a major.  On 7 December, 1941, he was thrown from the foremast 100 feet through the air and into the water -- one of only eight Arizona Marine survivors.  Decorated with the Silver Star for gallantry:

Lieutenant General Howlin' Mad Smith:

Link Posted: 11/4/2022 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sorry to derail OP...
View Quote
No you are not.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#46]
@thunderw21 Thank you for this awesome thread, and for preserving so much great American history.

I’ve been a patch collector myself since I was a kid. I’ll try to post a few specimens from my collection (in this thread or one of my own) when I get back home for the holidays.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go back to your Call of Duty game sonny.
Top Top