Imabballer

Make prohibition great again!

Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because drug users only ever kill themselves right?  Nobody innocent ever pays the price?
View Quote
So back to prohibition?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:34:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Because drug users only ever kill themselves right?  Nobody innocent ever pays the price?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm for legalizing everything and letting Darwin win.
Remove any state/federal funding of drug help and let users/abusers die at their own hand.
Like people killed by drunk drivers?

I guess the gov knows what is good for us, we should thank them for keeping us safe.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It says you can't fire based solely on a drug test. If he appears high, is that based on a drug test? There's no way I can fire somebody with cause without relying upon an objective drug test.  The test that this law would deprive me of being able to use.  I also think you are missing the word OR in that paragraph.  The statue is written badly and would be difficult to prove whether "solely" applies to both before and after the OR. What if someone chugs a 40 before showing up at work and isn't showing any signs of it when you see them?  This whole discussion revolves around the person being obviously impaired.

This will probably get rolled back later anyways.  Ok, if you say so.

Everybody saying the law isn't perfect is throwing away good in the quest for great.

Progress will never be made if you will only vote yes on perfection (which is exactly what the drug warriors want).  I guess that's me, I hope it's never legalized in a form that causes impairment.  I have no problem with pills/oils that don't have THC and don't cause impairment however.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I guess the gov knows what is good for us, we should thank them for keeping us safe.
View Quote
Exactly like the people killed by drunk drivers.  So lets get more impaired drivers on the streets so more innocent people can be killed by impaired drivers....

Thanks for making my point.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope it passes and I hope President Trump legalizes it nationwide.

I just want to see the liberal heads explode and watch all the liberals stay home Election Day because they are stoned.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Exactly like the people killed by drunk drivers.  So lets get more impaired drivers on the streets so more innocent people can be killed by impaired drivers....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because nobody smokes pot in OK now.  Right?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Some of the ignorant comments in this thread and some are by Okies you make me think you are far more liberal than conservative.

Yes, pot needles everywhere, lets ban alcohol also since it causes drunk drivers, and guns kill so you should turn your guns in and move over to DU with your skinny jeans and man bun.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How do you test for alcohol? Do you do blood tests?  Sure, breath or blood tests.

I can respect your position more if you don't drink alcohol. Let's ban both. I don't either.  I know it's not a popular opinion and I am obviously hugely in the minority but I would ban both.

But the government shouldn't be in the business of deciding what we eat, smoke, etc.  Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.  That's my gripe.  If we all lived in a bubble where users could only hurt themselves I would vote today to legalize everything.  But we don't, and people who use intoxicating substances have a massively disproportionate chance of hindering my pursuit of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  That makes me ok with seeing it regulated.  Guns don't inherently increase the chance somebody interferes with my rights, drugs many times do.  

Plus I'm not sure the evidence is there that usage is lower if it is illegal.  I am to lazy to look up any studies but common sense tell me that if it is legalized the de-stigmatization would make it more socially acceptable to use, which would increase usage dramatically.

It will certainly be safer if legal because it won't be associated with criminals and quality will be better controlled.  I certainly see the logic in that argument.  I can see where the actual substance could be safer for the user.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Because nobody smokes pot in OK now.  Right?
View Quote
Of course they do.  Common sense tells me that the usage will go up with legalization however.  Usage going up means more impaired drivers on the roads, which means more deaths from impaired drivers, which was my point.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Some of the ignorant comments in this thread and some are by Okies Insult instead of debate, sounds more like a liberal tactic than a conservative one. you make me think you are far more liberal than conservative.  Because legalization of illegal drugs has always been the mainstay of the conservative platform right?  I think you have your right and left sides mixed up.

Yes, pot needles everywhere, lets ban alcohol also since it causes drunk drivers, and guns kill so you should turn your guns in and move over to DU with your skinny jeans and man bun.  Again, equating drugs to guns is not a logical argument, just a convenient one for you to try to make.  I'm about as far from a DUer as you can get.  I'm a conservative, and on some issues a libertarian, but not everything, not when it either picks my pocket or breaks my leg.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Of course they do.  Common sense tells me that the usage will go up with legalization however.  Usage going up means more impaired drivers on the roads, which means more deaths from impaired drivers, which was my point.
View Quote
You posted above that you would ban alchohol sales as well? I'm done responding to you .  Have a good night.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#19]
about 25% of the precincts in....54% to 46%  in favor
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Come on Oklahoma!
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I just want to see the liberal heads explode and watch all the liberals stay home Election Day because they are stoned.
View Quote
How did that work out in CO?

Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm honestly not sure what point you are trying to make here.  The variable in that study is the strictness of dui laws, not the distribution of impaired drivers.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You posted above that you would ban alchohol sales as well? I'm done responding to you .  Have a good night.
View Quote
I fully expect to be looked at as a leper for my opinion.  I know it's not a popular one.  You strongly disagree with me for my stance on marijuana but were willing to engage and debate.  I completely respect that, you are entitled to your opinion and vote every bit as much as I am.  When I say I would ban alcohol for the exact same reason when alcohol is obviously more dangerous than marijuana I am at least being intellectually honest.  I would be an absolute hypocrite to oppose one and not the other.  If that logical consistency makes me unworthy of debate, goodnight.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If my experience at the polls today is any indication, not a chance it passes.

I was the youngest there by 40 years.
View Quote
i'm not aware of any state that got it, first time around. second time, it seems to pass, then after a few years, the same cycle will occur with recreational. once they figure out the taxation structuring, it will happen.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I fully expect to be looked at as a leper for my opinion.  I know it's not a popular one.  You strongly disagree with me for my stance on marijuana but were willing to engage and debate.  I completely respect that, you are entitled to your opinion and vote every bit as much as I am.  When I say I would ban alcohol for the exact same reason when alcohol is obviously more dangerous than marijuana I am at least being intellectually honest.  I would be an absolute hypocrite to oppose one and not the other.  If that logical consistency makes me unworthy of debate, goodnight.
View Quote
He strongly disagrees because you are openly oppressive. You have all the same talking points as a Marxist.

You sound like you hardly deserve the freedoms you already enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was obviously making a generality about illegal drugs, not just marijuana.  I don't think that a person on marijuana is necessarily more dangerous to society.  However if I am misunderstanding you and you would make the argument somebody on PCP isn't more dangerous to society I would love to hear that argument.  One of the points I am making is that if society can ban pcp, they can ban marijuana.  Drugs don't have a second amendment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drugs are also inanimate objects that must be used with caution.

That last part is just silly.
I was obviously making a generality about illegal drugs, not just marijuana.  I don't think that a person on marijuana is necessarily more dangerous to society.  However if I am misunderstanding you and you would make the argument somebody on PCP isn't more dangerous to society I would love to hear that argument.  One of the points I am making is that if society can ban pcp, they can ban marijuana.  Drugs don't have a second amendment.
Look up the 18th and 21st Amendments. Alcohol, a drug, in effect, while regulated by the ATF, does have a "second Amendment".
By the prohibition and subsequent legalization of alcohol, the Constitution actually recognized a drug.
Mind blown?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you're a leper here because prohibition is a progressive position
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I know it's not a popular opinion and I am obviously hugely in the minority but I would ban both.

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.  That's my gripe.  If we all lived in a bubble where users could only hurt themselves I would vote today to legalize everything.  But we don't, and people who use intoxicating substances have a massively disproportionate chance of hindering my pursuit of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  That makes me ok with seeing it regulated.  Guns don't inherently increase the chance somebody interferes with my rights, drugs many times do.  
View Quote
You're right. Prohibition worked wonderfully and reduced crime, improving everyone's lives in the process.

Cato Institute Policy Analysis No. 157:
Alcohol Prohibition Was a Failure

Prohibition, which failed to improve health and virtue in America, can afford some invaluable lessons. First, it can
provide some perspective on the current crisis in drug prohibition--a 75-year effort that is increasingly viewed as a
failure.

Repeal of Prohibition dramatically reduced crime, including organized crime, and corruption. Jobs were created, and
new voluntary efforts, such as Alcoholics Anonymous, which was begun in 1934, succeeded in helping alcoholics.
Those lessons can be applied to the current crisis in drug prohibition and the problems of drug abuse. Second, the
lessons of Prohibition should be used to curb the urge to prohibit. Neo Prohibition of alcohol and prohibition of
tobacco would result in more crime, corruption, and dangerous products and increased government control over the
average citizen's life. Finally, Prohibition provides a general lesson that society can no more be successfully
engineered in the United States than in the Soviet Union.

Prohibition was supposed to be an economic and moral bonanza. Prisons and poorhouses were to be emptied, taxes
cut, and social problems eliminated. Productivity was to skyrocket and absenteeism disappear. The economy was to
enter a never-ending boom. That utopian outlook was shattered by the stock market crash of 1929. Prohibition did not
improve productivity or reduce absenteeism. In contrast, private regulation of employees' drinking improved
productivity, reduced absenteeism, and reduced industrial accidents wherever it was tried before, during, and after
Prohibition.

In summary, Prohibition did not achieve its goals. Instead, it added to the problems it was intended to solve and
supplanted other ways of addressing problems. The only beneficiaries of Prohibition were bootleggers, crime bosses,
and the forces of big government
. Carroll Wooddy concluded that the "Eighteenth Amendment . . . contributed
substantially to the growth of government and of government costs in this period [1915-32]."

Full Article (PDF)
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Someone smoking pot or drinking a beer after work in their own home is a direct threat to me and mine!  Fuck freedom!  I care about the people!
We should also ban cars, large "high capacity" sodas, guns, boats, motorcycles, bicycles, swimming pools, solid food, and everything else.  We need to save the children!
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
You know how the VA works.  Come up hot one time and bye bye my pain or anxiety medication.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#31]
56% of the precincts in....and still 55 to 45% in favor
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#32]
ETA

61% precincts reporting:
55% Yes
44% No
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Motherfucker
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Motherfucker
View Quote
The pot needles are going to get you!
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee
We don't take our trips on LSD
We don't burn our draft cards down on Main Street
We like livin' right, and bein' free
View All Quotes
Quoted:
We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee
We don't take our trips on LSD
We don't burn our draft cards down on Main Street
We like livin' right, and bein' free
Haggard was best known for his 1969 song “Okie From Muskogee,” which protested the counterculture of the time with such lines as “We don’t smoke marijuana in Muskogee/We don’t take our trips on LSD” and “We don’t burn our draft cards down at the courthouse.”

The song won him an audience at the Nixon White House in 1973. Haggard later said that he did not intend the song as a political anthem; in fact, he acknowledged his own drug use by stating that he often smoked marijuana before going out on stage.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#36]
It's gonna pass easy
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You're right. Prohibition worked wonderfully and reduced crime, improving everyone's lives in the process.

Cato Institute Policy Analysis No. 157:
Alcohol Prohibition Was a Failure

Prohibition, which failed to improve health and virtue in America, can afford some invaluable lessons. First, it can
provide some perspective on the current crisis in drug prohibition--a 75-year effort that is increasingly viewed as a
failure.

Repeal of Prohibition dramatically reduced crime, including organized crime, and corruption. Jobs were created, and
new voluntary efforts, such as Alcoholics Anonymous, which was begun in 1934, succeeded in helping alcoholics.
Those lessons can be applied to the current crisis in drug prohibition and the problems of drug abuse. Second, the
lessons of Prohibition should be used to curb the urge to prohibit. Neo Prohibition of alcohol and prohibition of
tobacco would result in more crime, corruption, and dangerous products and increased government control over the
average citizen's life. Finally, Prohibition provides a general lesson that society can no more be successfully
engineered in the United States than in the Soviet Union.

Prohibition was supposed to be an economic and moral bonanza. Prisons and poorhouses were to be emptied, taxes
cut, and social problems eliminated. Productivity was to skyrocket and absenteeism disappear. The economy was to
enter a never-ending boom. That utopian outlook was shattered by the stock market crash of 1929. Prohibition did not
improve productivity or reduce absenteeism. In contrast, private regulation of employees' drinking improved
productivity, reduced absenteeism, and reduced industrial accidents wherever it was tried before, during, and after
Prohibition.

In summary, Prohibition did not achieve its goals. Instead, it added to the problems it was intended to solve and
supplanted other ways of addressing problems. The only beneficiaries of Prohibition were bootleggers, crime bosses,
and the forces of big government
. Carroll Wooddy concluded that the "Eighteenth Amendment . . . contributed
substantially to the growth of government and of government costs in this period [1915-32]."

Full Article (PDF)
View Quote
Most violent crime is committed while the perp is under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Making it legal isn't going to make for less crime compared to what we already have.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Motherfucker
View Quote
Don’t worry

Nobody is going to move to OK for medical MJ
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's gonna pass easy
View Quote
It is a no brainier. I swear.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's gonna pass easy
View Quote
@Aimless
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#41]
72% reporting

55% for
44% against
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Fight vegans and hippies. Smoke meat, not weed.

I can't wait for our stage hands to start dropping 40lbs stage weights from the weight floor 80 feet above the stage because they are high.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I can't wait for our stage hands to start dropping 40lbs stage weights from the weight floor 80 feet above the stage because they are high.
View Quote
Your stage hands are likely already high, whether it be on weed or synthetic opioids.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I used to be a stagehand at rock concerts a long, long time ago. You think they are actually sober????
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

He strongly disagrees because you are openly oppressive. You have all the same talking points as a Marxist.

You sound like you hardly deserve the freedoms you already enjoy.
View Quote
So just so we all know where we all stand, you are for the complete legalization of every drug known to man right?  Cocaine, meth, crack, pcp, heroine, fentanyl, etc.?  That is the only possible logical argument you could be making.  If you would oppose even one, then welcome to our little "Marxist" club.

If I can oppose even one, then it would be logically consistent of me to oppose all of them that share similar characteristics and danger to others.  I understand you don't agree with that opinion of mine, but do you notice I'm not calling you names?  I would much rather discuss it with you.  Maybe you can convince me to change my opinion that way, or I you.  (So Marxist of me.)

Also, I feel like I've already made this point, but the opposition to the legalization of illegal drugs has been the platform of the conservative party for as long as I've been alive.  Do you understand what a Marxist is?  (It's not a conservative.)  I concede that I go the extra step to include alcohol, which apparently makes it perfectly reasonable to dismiss any opinion I have.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Your stage hands are likely already high, whether it be on weed or synthetic opioids.
View Quote
No, they are not. And if we sense any inebriation in them, they are immediately pulled form the crew and reported to the Union steward who sends them home.

Now, we won't be able to do that, because they "are on medication, for a medical problem".
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
No, they are not. And if we sense any inebriation in them, they are immediately pulled form the crew and reported to the Union steward who sends them home.

Now, we won't be able to do that, because they "are on medication, for a medical problem".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

How many of them do you think are taking "medicine" in the form of synthetic opioids?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Motherfucker
View Quote
My hypocrite Mom said about the same.  They have a keg and both of them use tobacco.  That is OK though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I fully understand how it works.  I understand that you don't have to get intoxicated when you drink.  I also understand if I don't drink or do drugs I will never get intoxicated by alchohol or drugs.  I chose to never get recreationally intoxicated, so I play it safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh, so you don't know how this works?

Sobriety/intoxication isn't a binary condition.
I fully understand how it works.  I understand that you don't have to get intoxicated when you drink.  I also understand if I don't drink or do drugs I will never get intoxicated by alchohol or drugs.  I chose to never get recreationally intoxicated, so I play it safe.
You sound weird as fuck.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Look at all of the nanny statist motherfuckers in this thread!
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top