Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 101
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree @stoner63a is an encyclopedia for the GMV series. I can't wait to see more pics of windshields and other odd armorer. Just wish we could source some of the parts.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, we survived the weather down in dfw area. I was still not done with painting the doors but figured our cars we more likely to be damaged by hail than the 1151a1.
We took it for a drive during the rain, and yea, there are several places I have the weatherproof.  Not too drippy on the inside but not dry either.

The biggest single source was the hatch seal. Second was the doors, and then some holes in the driver side firewall.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Get use to the leaks. I have minimized mine to one spot on the passenger side but still drips. These were never known to be water tight.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:21:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By belted_guns:
Well, we survived the weather down in dfw area. I was still not done with painting the doors but figured our cars we more likely to be damaged by hail than the 1151a1.
We took it for a drive during the rain, and yea, there are several places I have the weatherproof.  Not too drippy on the inside but not dry either.

The biggest single source was the hatch seal. Second was the doors, and then some holes in the driver side firewall.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/256915/20230302_171708_jpg-2732104.JPG
View Quote

Yeah the driver's side firewall is bad. There's no splash guards for the front tires so all the water slings up off them to on top the shelf and every small opening. Get some Sikaflex 221 to seal up the seams in the tub and I'd use regular RTV to seal up anything you think you may need to take out, like bolts. It's easier to remove than Sikaflex. You'll want to do the seams inside and out.

Also don't know if you've seen me mention but it's very worthwhile to get rid of the stock wiper arms and replace them with either H1 or Jeep Wrangler arms so you can run real wipers. Huge difference.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:45:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gastrap] [#5]
Spent today stuffing run flat inserts into new tires and mounting them. Used a hook-less strap made for installing skid loader tracks, a lot easier to get out when done! Not too difficult if you get them pinched down to about 16" in the center. I just smeared a coating of Murphy's tire soap on the crown of the tire for run flat lube instead of the gobs of Hutchinson goo, I'll never drive it farther than off the road if I have a blowout.

The 750x16's on the M38 project look pretty funny next to the MT's

Also finished a lot of little stuff recently like glow plugs, frame drain holes, speedo cable, fuel lines & trans lines, battery shutoff, hood bumpers, etc. Nothing fancy, leaving it original looking except for the 24 bolt wheels (didn't want Baja's on them). I ordered a set of Centramatic balancers to try even though the Hunter machine at work can handle these wheels.

Link Posted: 3/6/2023 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By gastrap:
Spent today stuffing run flat inserts into new tires and mounting them. Used a hook-less strap made for installing skid loader tracks, a lot easier to get out when done! Not too difficult if you get them pinched down to about 16" in the center. I just smeared a coating of Murphy's tire soap on the crown of the tire for run flat lube instead of the gobs of Hutchinson goo, I'll never drive it farther than off the road if I have a blowout.
https://i.imgur.com/gVWRGXul.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8FO7v3Ql.jpg

Also finished a lot of little stuff recently like glow plugs, frame drain holes, speedo cable, fuel lines & trans lines, battery shutoff, hood bumpers, etc. Nothing fancy, leaving it original looking except for the 24 bolt wheels (didn't want Baja's on them). I ordered a set of Centramatic balancers to try even though the Hunter machine at work can handle these wheels.

View Quote

First time I changed my tires on my H1 I used the strap like yourself and 2 forklifts.
Next time.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Vw5RhUZ7v9Q
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By H1-HUMMER:

First time I changed my tires on my H1 I used the strap like yourself and 2 forklifts.
Next time.

View Quote
Wow, no prybar or sledgehammer required!
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, no prybar or sledgehammer required!
View Quote

lol...yeah
might buy this next time

https://www.rubberduck4x4.com/product/17-2-piece-aluminum-wheel-tool/?sku=RDH10-AWT-PC
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 8:18:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gastrap] [#9]

lol...yeah
might buy this next time

https://www.rubberduck4x4.com/product/17-2-piece-aluminum-wheel-tool/?sku=RDH10-AWT-PC
View Quote
With plenty of soap and a bucket, mine just pushed together down to about half the stud length. The bucket literally snapped into the stud circle so I could slide the inner wheel through the tire standing up, and then tip down onto the bucket so there was no lifting.

Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats alot of work. I just ordered the Cepek 17" wheels that @Aguas is running. Debating on running BFG All Terrain tires once the wheels come in as I prefer load range D or E with extra weight I have. Decided to go with non-military due to availability and ease of changing/replacing in the future.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:
Thats alot of work. I just ordered the Cepek 17" wheels that @Aguas is running. Debating on running BFG All Terrain tires once the wheels come in as I prefer load range D or E with extra weight I have. Decided to go with non-military due to availability and ease of changing/replacing in the future.
View Quote

I have Mud Terrains, not to loud and a smooth ride, on my 3rd set of AT on my raptor, both great tires!

https://flic.kr/p/EuYPMM

BTW, Tom is a great guy, you have a question he has an answer, I have a set of his shocks on my truck.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:35:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#12]

Next time.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://i.imgur.com/gVWRGXul.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8FO7v3Ql.jpg

Next time.

That trick does work. Used it when I did mine. I'd mention one thing though. Note at the bottom of the jack they've got some square steel that adds an extra 6" or so to the height. You need that. Bottle jack on its own isn't tall enough. Tire soap would be helpful as well.

ETA: I suggest not wasting the money on the runflat tool. It's too flimsy for my tastes as it is. It could be modified to be more robust.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 6:42:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H1-HUMMER] [#13]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

That trick does work. Used it when I did mine. I'd mention one thing though. Note at the bottom of the jack they've got some square steel that adds an extra 6" or so to the height. You need that. Bottle jack on its own isn't tall enough. Tire soap would be helpful as well.

ETA: I suggest not wasting the money on the runflat tool. It's too flimsy for my tastes as it is. It could be modified to be more robust.
View Quote

Next time I'm ditching my runflats and installing beadlocks.
Are you guys using runflat lube on them? last time I bought some from lynch hummer it was like 20 bucks a tube, it's like 45 nowadays
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Are you guys using runflat lube on them? last time I bought some from lynch hummer it was like 20 bucks a tube, it's like 45 nowadays
View All Quotes

There's some grease on them they had but I've got RV antifreeze in my tires to assist with balancing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:57:38 AM EDT
[#16]

You can't post a pic like that with no details.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

maybe like this

Link Posted: 3/12/2023 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Lost my off-the-paved-surface pictures of the M1165 when my laptop died unexpectedly, so while I was on base I hit some of the trails.  The magazine is empty (see the sign on the ground).
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Mainsail:

Lost my off-the-paved-surface pictures of the M1165 when my laptop died unexpectedly, so while I was on base I hit some of the trails.  The magazine is empty (see the sign on the ground).
View All Quotes

Very cool!
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Finished painting the exterior.  Next up is waiting on my 3d printer to build the mounts for interior lighting and vic3 intercom with Attachment Attached File
Bluetooth connectivity.  Probably will be an April project.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Finished painting the exterior.  Next up is waiting on my 3d printer to build the mounts for interior lighting and vic3 intercom with https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/256915/20230314_193452_jpg-2749221.JPGBluetooth connectivity.  Probably will be an April project.
View Quote

Looks great! The black accents always look sharp.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone received their sf97 from the government for the Dec 2022  auctions?

The wait is long.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone received their sf97 from the government for the Dec 2022  auctions?

The wait is long.
View Quote

I received one two weeks ago from a late November auction, DLA truck, not USMC. I don't need it but bought it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 8:16:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mainsail] [#24]
New tires and PVC beadlocks (out with the run-flats).  I did all the work myself, and it was a LOT of work.  Most of the day yesterday to get three old tires off, beadlocks in the new, and new tires on the wheels.  Three of the tires were the originals from the factory (2007) and one was a replacement (2014).  The newest one, which by luck I did first, was the toughest as all the grease they put in there had solidified into glue.  The three OE ones came off much easier.

I did the last one this morning and drove it around some - the centramatics did a good job of getting the balance right but I still drove it over to Discount Tire to get all four balanced.  When the tire guy drove it in, all work stopped as the whole workforce had to come over and gawk at it.

They used a lot of weight to get them "pretty close" and now it rides super smooth at all speeds (only got up to about 65MPH or so).

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Also got the three 40mm ammo can rack, and three 40mm ammo cans, but it looks like I should be able to get four in the rack, or there's more than one size 40mm can.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Finally got my Iowa title, plates, and insurance done last Friday. They even recognized that I had already paid sales tax to Kansas and didn't make an issue about that like they tried on my M35A2 years ago. State Farm coverage with a declared value just like my antique cars.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Finally got my Iowa title, plates, and insurance done last Friday. They even recognized that I had already paid sales tax to Kansas and didn't make an issue about that like they tried on my M35A2 years ago. State Farm coverage with a declared value just like my antique cars.
View Quote

Awesome!
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#27]
After years of owning the jack mount that goes in the engine bay, I was finally able to track down all the parts to set the jack in. Looks good and fits perfect but there is no place for the ratchet and rods unless I'm missing something.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#28]
After years of owning the jack mount that goes in the engine bay, I was finally able to track down all the parts to set the jack in. Looks good and fits perfect but there is no place for the ratchet and rods unless I'm missing something.
View Quote
Nice to have that mount, from what I've seen the ratchet and rods just go under a seat.

I still need to get the jack. I got lucky with my M35A2, the toolbox was full of stuff including a jack, air hose and gauge, wheel chock, TM's, etc. All I got with the Humvee was an extra control box and a can of spray paint
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Trying to hunt down an 115x/116x series dash duct if someone has a lead on one, preferably not the gold plated model that everyone seems to be selling.

Pretty flexible on condition so long as it's generally intact and usable (missing vents, repairable cracks,etc are fine).

Part numbers: 6015460 or 6019793
NSNs: 4720-01-536-3749 or 2540-01-548-2550

Attachment Attached File

Also, any of the duct/vent stuff here as well though if it were available with it:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:34:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mainsail] [#30]

Also, any of the duct/vent stuff here as well though if it were available with it:

Attachment Attached File
View Quote
I bought the length of insulated duct #7 in the picture as my M1165 came without it.  I got mine from Mac Motors.

Overall, I would say it's not worth the $65 and the aggravation of installing it- mine is a turbo truck and it's tough getting it installed.  It moves very little air and if I had to do it again I would probably just cap off both sides in the engine compartment.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought the length of insulated duct #7 in the picture as my M1165 came without it.  I got mine from Mac Motors.

Overall, I would say it's not worth the $65 and the aggravation of installing it- mine is a turbo truck and it's tough getting it installed.  It moves very little air and if I had to do it again I would probably just cap off both sides in the engine compartment.  
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/2023-04-04_17-16-59_jpg-2770556.JPG

That's a strong possibility given the engine heat the duct is sure to soak up and the stupid cost of the vent itself.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#32]
New BFG tires and Cepek wheels went on today. Alot better ride.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Out today- pic on the beach.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 12:27:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 6:31:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:14:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jake-cutter] [#36]

What is that (cable?) below the fuel hose coming into the cab?
View Quote

Currently it is the video cable for the thermal Check six tail light camera. Prior to that it's where the antenna wire entered the cab so I just followed it for the thermal setup.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Currently it is the video cable for the thermal Check six tail light camera. Prior to that it's where the antenna wire entered the cab so I just followed it for the thermal setup.
View Quote

interesting, I just upgraded my stereo in my truck to a touch screen with back up camera, I asked how they got their camera wire inside the cab, a fellow H1 guy took his truck to a stereo shop, and they punched a hole in basically the same spot but on the other side,
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:25:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: H1-HUMMER] [#38]
Spa Day

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:36:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: H1-HUMMER] [#39]
Spa Day

View Quote

apparently I suck at linking photos
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes
Spa Day

Or you can get a membership here and upload images here.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Nice walkaround video of an M1165A1 in action in Ukraine! You can turn on the subtitles for translation.

???????????? ??????? ? ??????? / American equipment in Bakhmut

Only 2052 on the odo!

Shows some field repairs as well.

Thanks @m35ben for sharing!
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Nice walkaround video of an M1165A1 in action in Ukraine! You can turn on the subtitles for translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mm-yh2dleo

Only 2052 on the odo!

View Quote
Needs somebody work though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mm-yh2dleo

Only 2052 on the odo!

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Excellent.  I am still waiting.  3.5mon and counting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Get use to the leaks. I have minimized mine to one spot on the passenger side but still drips. These were never known to be water tight.
View Quote

believe it or not, I had my bare bones 2 door 998a1 about weatherproof with x doors.  the only source of water ingress was the goddamn velcro seal on the top of the roof.  if those idiots hadn't designed that in such a way, I woulda been sitting pretty.  As it was, I spent 2 hours driving in pouring rain with a waterfall coming down just behind my seat.  had the cargo cover on too so it was extra rain catchy.  but not a drop in the doors or through the windshield.  

Now with the same truck and a 4 man top, its leak city.  Really miss the 2 door days.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Ahhh, titles showed up today.  
Now to get the stinking insurance,  stinking inspection,  and then pay the stinking  government fees for the plates. Perhaps next week.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Now to get the stinking insurance,  stinking inspection,  and then pay the stinking  government fees for the plates. Perhaps next week.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Since we clearly all like MVs, good chance to show a fellow ARFCOMmer some love on YT!

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Green-Iron-TV-channel-All-about-military-vehicle-restorations/5-2639551/
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I should do something with this stuff. I don't know if it's worth anything but I hate to throw it out.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ARHank:
I should do something with this stuff. I don't know if it's worth anything but I hate to throw it out.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155324/IMG_20230429_103123_jpg-2799885.JPG
View Quote

Send it here, I'd love to have it.
Page / 101
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top