Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/6/2023 7:09:08 PM EDT
...10 year lithium Ion wireless ones?

Seems to be cheaper and less of a hassle with replacing 9v batteries that chirp in a hardwired one.

Am I missing something?

It looks like it's going to be a PITA to rewire the new detectors to my old janky Firex plugs.

Are hardwired better?

Help a brother out.

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have wired ones that have a long term backup battery.  Why not use those?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Because you're supposed to replace your detectors every 10 years.

Mine are going off randomly, I think they're like 18 years old maybe?

It's time.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one of those ten years ones in my living room. It died after one year.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Hardwired ones are worth it, mark the date you install them in your electrical panel. I have a tall ceiling and they only fail at 3 am.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Hardwired should be linked and all go off if one is trip. You would lose that with standalone battery powered.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Because if your house is large and/or has multiple levels and a fire starts in the opposite side that detector will go off and alert you sooner that there’s a fire.  

< A firefighter that’s run fires where hard wired detectors have saved lives.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Russia only puts the best quality Plutonium in their smoke detectors...

Or just buy some cheap ones from the hardware store.  You still need to test them every year, so what's the big deal about changing the batteries?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hardwired ones are worth it, mark the date you install them in your electrical panel. I have a tall ceiling and they only fail at 3 am.
View Quote

Mine are programmed the same way as yours.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine are hard wired, but they are twisted onto the wire kit provided by the detector, then plugged into the detector.

Similar to this:

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Nest protect in every house we own.

Well worth it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well worth it.
View Quote

Nice flex.

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Should be able to get the hardwired ones with the 10 year battery.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nice flex.

View Quote

I realize that can be read two ways.

We only have one house at a time.

But when we move, new house gets them before we move in.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Local code may required them to be hardwired and linked  (depends on jurisdiction and age of home, most likely).

Look up your local fire codes.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Local code may required them to be hardwired and linked  (depends on jurisdiction and age of home, most likely).

Look up your local fire codes.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Just replaced a friends 2011 hardwired installed detectors. Bought similar ones and each detector came with hardwire adapters (but didn't need them).
Just remember to occasionally vacuum the detector as bugs and especially spiders are a frequent source of false activation.

CHEAP life safety insurance!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I just put all new ones in my house, they were sealed 10 year detectors, it's been 9 since I built my house, I  started having low battery chirp issues after about 7-8 years, pulled most of them but they are now replaced
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#18]
many new ones come with the different plug adapters now, so that’s a non issue.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I replaced all mine and just used an adapter to utilize the original wring harness.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#20]
mine are hard wired into the home alarm system.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Nest Protect wired ones but I added a couple of wireless ones in additional spots. Well worth the cost over the Kiddie ones or similar "dumb" ones. Heck the Path light feature is worth it just for my kids at night.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well worth it.
View Quote

Google, meh, pass
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
mine are hard wired into the home alarm system.
View Quote

Yep, and monitored.  Reduces insurance rates.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
This was me last night at 3 am, mfers
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hardwired should be linked and all go off if one is trip. You would lose that with standalone battery powered.
View Quote
I went with the Nest ones to satisfy this requirement and then are the battery ones,  not hardwired.   We did an addition and I didn't want to run all that wire and the inspector bought off on the Nest ones because they link wirelessly.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a bunch of wired nest smoke/co2 detectors. With internal battery backup. Work great. But pricey.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I just want one that won’t start screaming every time I cook a pork chop.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:59:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I replaced last century's models with the 10 year lithium powered because I plan to sell my house before the ten years are up.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even the hardwired ones can fail at inopportune times.

One of ours failed in an alarm condition no less, but at 2AM, not 3, and of course being in alarm mode means
all 10 alarms were screeching at the same time. That made for an especially shitty night's sleep
after searching all three floors for smoke or fire and then searching for which alarm was causing the problem.

It was removed with prejudice and I swapped in a photoelectric unit I keep on hand for surprise failures in
case the cause was legit. It was not.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I just replaced my hardwired detectors a few months ago. I was only five years behind on that project.

Swapping out the connectors took just a few extra minutes with the push-in connectors but was super easy otherwise.

As homeowners, we are supposed to improve our homes, not take steps backwards.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:44:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

same. I went back to regular battery style
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:58:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Hardwired still require a battery, they will still chirp at 3am. I wish I could say I change the batteries every year, but I don’t.

I also have Honeywell wireless alarms that are tied into my alarm system. I didn’t bother to take the hardwired ones out, I keep them active too.

My Unifi cameras have mics and will notify me if they hear the smoke/co2 alarms.

But yeah, you’re supposed to replace the entire detector every ten years.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 1:01:05 AM EDT
[#34]
If old ones were hard-wired, all the work and expense is done.   Replace with same thing.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#35]
I have hardwired ones that were built with the house. I also have a couple wireless ones that connect to my ring system and will automatically contact the fire department
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking.
View Quote

every inspector I’ve worked with in the phx metro area has been cool with 10yr wireless as long as they are programmable to communicate with each other.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 2:09:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well worth it.
View Quote

This.

They have a cool hidden feature. They just work. CO2 is something people don’t take seriously enough. My daughter was using the blow dryer in her room for a extended period and it gave us voice prompt warnings, pinpointed where the danger was, and sounded the alarm. Fire dept showed up before we knew it. They sync together seamlessly. You can set them up to run daily or monthly checkups.

No annoy monthly beeps like those cheap ones.

I have both wired and battery ones though out my house. My battery ones are on its 4th year on its original batteries. I even have one in my garage too.

Also they look nice and doesn’t make your ceilings look cheap.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are battery operated ones that do that wirelessly now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 2:13:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 2:13:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assumed they existed, hence the "standalone".  Looks like they're kinda pricey though, and his house is already wired.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 2:15:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 2:20:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have one wired in the house and it has a ling term battery back up, the rest of them in the house are all 10 year battery types
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 2:30:47 AM EDT
[#43]
I currently have Kidde wireless interconnected smoke detectors of the ionization type.  They use AA batteries, which I feed Energizer ultimate lithiums to whenever they get chirpy, which is about every 2 years.  My house was not prewired for hard wired detectors.

When these expire, I'll probably get something like these since the ones I have now are discontinued.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Not bad for 6 radio wireless ones with built in 10 year batteries.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 2:40:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ain't that the Truth!!

Mine always failed at 3am on the 18 ft ceiling!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 2:51:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have linked wireless ones. They also detect for carbon monoxide.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 3:30:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This.

They have a cool hidden feature. They just work. CO2 is something people don’t take seriously enough. My daughter was using the blow dryer in her room for a extended period and it gave us voice prompt warnings, pinpointed where the danger was, and sounded the alarm. Fire dept showed up before we knew it. They sync together seamlessly. You can set them up to run daily or monthly checkups.

I have both wired and battery ones though out my house. My battery ones are on its 4th year on its original batteries. I even have one in my garage too.

View Quote

@boomboom

CO?   How did a hair dryer produce CO?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 3:44:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had similar experiences
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
@boomboom
CO? How did a hair dryer produce CO?
View Quote

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it was burning hair and caused some amount of smoke? So, using the hair dryer called the fire dept? That doesn't sound like a good thing to me.

I have wired detectors, both for power and interconnected. They have internal battery backup, and they also do CO. I don't think I would be completely happy with wireless.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
...10 year lithium Ion wireless ones?

https://images.carriercms.com/image/upload/w_350,h_350,c_scale,dpr_3.0,q_auto,f_auto/v1549711980/kidde/products/smoke-alarms/kidde-smoke-alarm-battery-I9010.jpg

Seems to be cheaper and less of a hassle with replacing 9v batteries that chirp in a hardwired one.

https://www.runnings.com/media/catalog/product/4/3/4390295_9ee8.jpg

Am I missing something?

It looks like it's going to be a PITA to rewire the new detectors to my old janky Firex plugs.

Are hardwired better?

Help a brother out.

Thanks in advance!

View Quote

The wireless 10 years are great leap from the old 9v and hard wired.  My wife formerly ran a statewide fire safety campaign for a .gov agency and part of that effort was supplying smoke alarms in as many homes as they could get them in.  

She is the closest thing to an expert on them I know, and I have them all in my house and no more hard wire.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote

I take CO2 very serious,  its what makes my beer fizzy!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top