Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2020 9:48:44 PM EDT
Picked up a new aqualung legend reg and octo.  It was the last of the old models before the Legend 3 came out just a few weeks ago.  Got the whole thing for about 500 which i think is good.  A DM on a charter boat loaned me his when my reg's yoke screwdown fell overboard last year and I really liked how it breathed.  However I forgot it weighed a good pound and a half over my current travel reg set.

I've been using a light weight travel BC (outlaw) for a couple of years now but when I wear a 5mm wetsuit, I'm really pushing the 25lb lift.  Now with the legend reg, I decided I better get a BC with a bit more lift.

I just received my new Mares XR setup (plus 2 8lb weight pockets) for about 500.

The whole thing weighs just about 6 pounds with Al backplate and AL hardware and has 35lbs of lift.

I wanted to add a BFL sticker but the arfcom store is closed.
The only negative is that the tank bands that came with it are not conducive to using trim weights.

Can't wait to dive my new setup.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:09:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice.
You should be able to squeeze these on a tank band.  I have a set and they are small.
You got it for a good price.  There was a recall on the power inflator not too long ago.  If you bought from a Mares dealer, you should be g2g.  Either way, an easy fix.
I am still rolling with 25lbs of lift with a 5mm (FL winter attire).  Hp117s and 10lbs on a belt.
Who do dive with when in So Fl?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice.
You should be able to squeeze these on a tank band.  I have a set and they are small.
You got it for a good price.  There was a recall on the power inflator not too long ago.  If you bought from a Mares dealer, you should be g2g.  Either way, an easy fix.
I am still rolling with 25lbs of lift with a 5mm (FL winter attire).  Hp117s and 10lbs on a belt.
Who do dive with when in So Fl?
View Quote
Usually out of boynton beach, sometimes riviera beach or  pompano weather depending.

Got it from DGE.  I looked at those pockets.  The ones I already have are very similar but the issue is the tank bands use velcro on the ends so they lay flat which probably keeps the cam from popping open.  You can't close the velcro on the right side (facing the tank side of the wing)  if you have a pocket there.  Mares make a weird vertical weight pocket meant to fit on the left side of the tank which encompasses both cam bands, but i would think it would still feel off center when you were diving.

If I have to had some more weight, I can easily slide those pockets onto my harness belt. In the rare times i dive with 7 (last was rescue training up north in dutch springs)   I'll just use a belt.

If I feel I really need trim weight diving AL80s, I'll just change out the cam bands.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#3]
You’ll enjoy that reg. A Legend LX Supreme is my single tank reg.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can tell from your avatar
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haha, yes.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#6]
You should be able to move the bands to a favorable position.  I have to do this when using a lp76 (skinny tank) vs. Fatty 8" tanks.  I tuck the flap through the web loop on the pocket.

ETA: PDC has closed btw
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You should be able to move the bands to a favorable position.  I have to do this when using a lp76 (skinny tank) vs. Fatty 8" tanks.  I tuck the flap through the web loop on the pocket.

ETA: PDC has closed btw
View Quote
yeah i read about PDC on SB.

I'll have to play with the bands more when I have a tank to attach to it.
I might drop by my LDS which has a pool and rent a tank for a few minutes just to make sure every thing is kosher before i jump off the back of a boat.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Now do I drink the primary donate cool aid?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Playing with trim pockets again...
The tank straps are so stiff so it was hard to work them, but it looks like there's room for the ones i currently have.  I'll have to test it with a tank though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice. I haven't gone diving in a few years. I realized quickly it's tough to enjoy a lot of hobbies while both of your kids are in the toddler phase.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Now do I drink the primary donate cool aid?
View Quote
Tis the way, the truth, and the life.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Tis the way, the truth, and the life.
View Quote
but muh snorkel!

j/k
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't need no snorkel as compensation when your hose is 8 feet long.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I don’t use a snorkel at all - long hose or not!

8ft hose? I use a 5ft (I’m a shrimp) on both single tank and doubles regs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I actually ordered a 22" hose and 40" primary hose to give it a try.
I started a thread on SB about "streamlined" primary donate.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I actually ordered a 22" hose and 40" primary hose to give it a try.
I started a thread on SB about "streamlined" primary donate.
View Quote
22" is standard on a set of doubles. 18" is much more likely to be optimal. 40" with a swivel is a great streamlined OW setup as long as you run it under your arm.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

22" is standard on a set of doubles. 18" is much more likely to be optimal. 40" with a swivel is a great streamlined OW setup as long as you run it under your arm.
View Quote
well see.  I got a 70 degree elbow.  the swivel was almost 100 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

well see.  I got a 70 degree elbow.  the swivel was almost 100 bucks.
View Quote
I actually prefer the elbows personally. I've had better reliability out of them, however the swivel presents better when donating because it flattens out and gives you better purchase.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top