Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2020 5:45:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 5:46:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I’ve been making my own for a few years know.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#2]
No pics of delicious bread or miracle device. I guess I’ll have to continue to eat wonderbread
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Grandma used to all the time, as lil guy i remember loving the moments i got to pull out the beater head that was cooked into the loaf at the bottom
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 5:57:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I had one years ago...

I think it stopped working and I just chucked it.

really, I love nothing more than a hot loaf of bread with butter on it but it makes me fat as fuck
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Love ours. No fucking mess.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 6:32:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had one years ago...

I think it stopped working and I just chucked it.

really, I love nothing more than a hot loaf of bread with butter on it but it makes me fat as fuck
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Try using the dough setting with one of these pans https://www.amazon.com/USA-Pan-Bakeware-Nonstick-Aluminized/dp/B002UNMZPI/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=pullman+loaf&link_code=qs&qid=1607683585&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-5&tag=mozilla-20

Makes perfect shaped white bread loafs. I use a meat slicer to get perfect slices.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been making it 5 days a week for the past 15 years from scratch.

But that's what I do for a living.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I’ve been making my own all year.  A loaf or two of sourdough a week
Just use the kitchenaid mixer and a cast iron Dutch oven to bake it in.
Most of the time comes out good.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I made some yesterday as a matter of fact. This time I made oatmeal bread per my wife's request.

I have made lots of different types of bread (cranberry walnut, cinnamon swirl, regular white bread, oatmeal raisin, etc.)

I have this Cuisinart one:

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/bread_makers/cbk-200/

It was overcooked on the sides for some reason. I never had that happen before. But the texture and taste and rest of the loaf are great.

I sometimes finish the cooking (just the final rise and baking) in a loaf pan and the regular oven to get the shape like a normal loaf. I hate the hole that the little paddle makes in the bottom of a loaf when I let it cook in the bread machine.

I have had mixed results. Some has been good; some has been not good---raw in the middle, failed to rise properly, etc.

It seems to be hit or miss.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I got one a few years ago.   Fresh bread is sooo freakin good and bread makers do all the work for your.  Dump in measured amounts of water, flour, salt and yeast and you can make a delicious loaf of French bread.  
I would make them more often but as I get older (40s) I definitely realize carbs are not my friend.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I made some yesterday as a matter of fact. This time I made oatmeal bread per my wife's request.

I have made lots of different types of bread (cranberry walnut, cinnamon swirl, regular white bread, oatmeal raisin, etc.)

I have this Cuisinart one:

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/bread_makers/cbk-200/

It was overcooked on the sides for some reason. I never had that happen before. But the texture and taste and rest of the loaf are great.

I sometimes finish the cooking (just the final rise and baking) in a loaf pan and the regular oven to get the shape like a normal loaf. I hate the hole that the little paddle makes in the bottom of a loaf when I let it cook in the bread machine.

I have had mixed results. Some has been good; some has been not good---raw in the middle, failed to rise properly, etc.

It seems to be hit or miss.
View Quote

Take the dough out and remove the paddle after it beeps 6 times.  Beep beep beep beep beep beep, remove paddle on standard French bread setting.  The cuisinart basically is just letting it rise one last time and then bakes the loaf after that tone.  I have the same model.  If I forget to remove the paddle, it’s kind of a pain in the ass if it’s baked into the loaf.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I make it from scratch and bake it in the oven.

Even a caveman can do it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No pics of delicious bread or miracle device. I guess I'll have to continue to eat wonderbread
View Quote
Troof
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd like to get one and try making seeded rye bread.

What kind of bread maker did you get?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bought one recently in case I couldn't go to the store to buy bread because of Covid.

Mainly has to do with my age and other health issues.

My son preaches at me constantly about staying home. We are pretty close knit.

So, I have been playing with it learning how to make bread, Different flours and such.

It's about the easiest thing I ever did. Just pour the ingredients in push a few button and in 3 hours
a beautiful, hot loaf of bread.

I should have bought one years ago.

How about you guys? Any of you make your own bread?

View Quote

what bread maker did you buy?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes.  I make my own sourdough bread.  But no breadmaker.

I've taken something of a hiatus for a few months.  I probably need to get started again.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Try using the dough setting with one of these pans https://www.amazon.com/USA-Pan-Bakeware-Nonstick-Aluminized/dp/B002UNMZPI/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=pullman+loaf&link_code=qs&qid=1607683585&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-5&tag=mozilla-20

Makes perfect shaped white bread loafs. I use a meat slicer to get perfect slices.
View Quote

Use a pain de mei recipe

https://makebreadathome.com/complete-guide-to-pain-de-mie/
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Peanut butter & jelly on still-warm fresh-baked bread is heaven.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I make a killer no/knead cast iron dutch oven bread. A splash of distilled vinegar makes the difference. It's stupid simple.

Never tried a bread maker.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Grandma used to all the time, as lil guy i remember loving the moments i got to pull out the beater head that was cooked into the loaf at the bottom
View Quote

My grandmother made bread all the time, but not with a breadmaker. It was a traditional country white loaf. It was dense, soft, and delicious.

On Sunday mornings before church she would cut it in to 1" thick slices and cover them with butter then toast them in the oven. (If you have never done toast like this I feel bad for you)
While that was happening she would make hot chocolate from bakers chocolate and sugar and milk, not a mix.
When the toast was done we would cut it in to strips and dip it in the hot chocolate, the butter from the toast would leave a ring in the hot chocolate.
It was a glorious thing on a winter morning with all of us crammed in to her tiny kitchen because it was the warmest room in the house.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Wife has a sourdough jar living in the refrigerator and makes sourdough bread for us. She just made French onion soup and made croutons from her bread....good eating.

Her bread is delicious with a slab of melting butter.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My grandmother made bread all the time, but not with a breadmaker. It was a traditional country white loaf. It was dense, soft, and delicious.

On Sunday mornings before church she would cut it in to 1" thick slices and cover them with butter then toast them in the oven. (If you have never done toast like this I feel bad for you)
While that was happening she would make hot chocolate from bakers chocolate and sugar and milk, not a mix.
When the toast was done we would cut it in to strips and dip it in the hot chocolate, the butter from the toast would leave a ring in the hot chocolate.
It was a glorious thing on a winter morning with all of us crammed in to her tiny kitchen because it was the warmest room in the house.
View Quote

Woah, you kicked my nostalgia into overdrive. Buttered toast dipped in hot chocolate was one of my favorite things as a kid.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Had one yrs ago. Used it for a while and new wore off and tossed along with rotisserie and a few other fad kitchen devices. I've tried to cut out most bread however.

" />
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I make mine the old fashioned way - no bread machine.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No pics of delicious bread or miracle device. I guess I’ll have to continue to eat wonderbread
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#29]
My spousal units makes banana bread like twice a week it seems. It doesn't last long but it also comes from a box lol
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#33]
My dads been on a bread kick last few months.  Recently had 80lbs of flour delivered.  8 10lb bags of different types of flour.

My brother has been doing sourdough bread and pizza dough with a starter he propagated up here in '15.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Yup, I don't have any fancy mixer thingy though  
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Carbs are the enemy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been using my bread machine off and on for 10 years now.  This year it really got a workout.

This is by far the best white bread recipe I have ever used and I will never bother with another white bread recipe again. This stuff is that good.

Edited to add: I've deviated from the recipe that calls for 3 Cups Bread Flour and I've used 1 Cup Bread Flour and 2 Cups Whole Wheat flour, or, 2 Cups Bread Flour and 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour, with excellent results for both deviations.

I had a bunch of Whole Wheat Flour I wanted to use up.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/bread-machine-milk-and-honey-bread-3051769

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Carbs are the enemy.
View Quote
True, but bread is just like everything else - moderation is the key...
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I used to demo them at a Black and Decker outlet.  

Drew in a LOT of customers with the smell of that fresh bread.  

...handing out bread with fresh butter and jam got a few girls numbers from it too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Thank you guys for posting some good recipes and ideas. A bread machine would be cool, but I have a KitchenAid mixer with the hook and may try it at home.

Would a Pyrex dish that is commonly used for zucchini bread and banana bread OK?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thank you guys for posting some good recipes and ideas. A bread machine would be cool, but I have a KitchenAid mixer with the hook and may try it at home.

Would a Pyrex dish that is commonly used for zucchini bread and banana bread OK?
View Quote
Yep, that'll work fine. - any loaf pan will work fine.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Did you get a pizza stone yet?

Most machines have a dough setting.

Once you get the process right,

You’ll never go out for pizza again,
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Been making homemade bread for years.........

But, I live in Florida.  The only acceptable bread is Cuban Bread.

Made and kneaded from scratch............   with lard and a palm frond............

Well, sometimes I use butter........  really like the flavor.........
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Never used a bread machine,  it I love making bread! Just a simple white flour yeast bread with butter
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#44]
I've been making bread for maybe 10 or so years, I have been lazy over the past year or so but I'm trying to be better about it this winter.  Made some rolls today...

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Enjoy your high carbs, OP.
(kidding)
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

I Havnt met a bread machine that can make pinwheel bread yet...
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Buy the book “New Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a day”.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#48]
We been using this one along time.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#49]
NYT no-knead dutch oven bread works fine-about five minutes total work.
Use warm water.
Cleanup takes longer.
My first loaf:

Attachment Attached File

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016271-speedy-no-knead-bread
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top