Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2020 7:12:54 PM EDT
A Snowbird went down today north of Vancouver.

Anyone know anymore details?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#2]
PA officer was killed
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea, thats kinda rough to watch. RIP to the fallen.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

There literally are no dupes in here. Some of us fucking hate GD.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn, I hate this.  RIP Capt Casey

Originally Posted By CFII:
There literally are no dupes in here. Some of us fucking hate GD.
View Quote

This!

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Any early thoughts as to what happened?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Any early thoughts as to what happened?
View Quote

engine failure, tried to trade speed for altitude for the impossible turn back to airport or avoid populated area and then stalled and they ejected.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Any early thoughts as to what happened?
View Quote

Based on what I see and have read, it appears to be some kind of compressor stalls, stagnation, or engine failure.  Pretty much every single-engine, ejection seat equipped aircraft have the same emergency procedure for a low altitude engine failure...trade any excess airspeed for altitude, prepare for ejection and punch out before a sink rate develops.  As evidenced by the zoom climb they executed, it looks like this is exactly what they were trying to do. For one reason or another they didn't get out before the sink rate.  For an ejection seat of that caliber, ejecting with that type of sink rate is a very risky proposition.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RagingWhite:

Based on what I see and have read, it appears to be some kind of compressor stalls, stagnation, or engine failure.  Pretty much every single-engine, ejection seat equipped aircraft have the same emergency procedure for a low altitude engine failure...trade any excess airspeed for altitude, prepare for ejection and punch out before a sink rate develops.  As evidenced by the zoom climb they executed, it looks like this is exactly what they were trying to do. For one reason or another they didn't get out before the sink rate.  For an ejection seat of that caliber, ejecting with that type of sink rate is a very risky proposition.
View Quote

The turn back to the airport didn’t help. He must have thought he could make it. I don’t know how much altitude that aircraft needs to make the turn back. But this pilot was a Snowbird and therefore highly accomplished.  He could also have been trying to limit ground casualties, which is commendable.

GA pilots have been debating the “impossible turn” probably since the first paved runway. Some claim they can do it but the videos I have seen were guys demonstrating a sub-1,000’ RTB in a Carbon Cub or something like that. Let me see that in an Arrow (we all know the Arrow glide rate jokes).  It is certainly something that I have spent a lot of time thinking about and planning for. I need to get up to altitude and practice power off again.

It has to take a huge amount of discipline to see the runway (or even the airport environment) over your shoulder and not exceed your turn rate when the nose is pointed at a suburban neighborhood.  If I bank a few more degrees and pull back just a bit more on the yoke....

Tailwinds to the passenger and best wishes for the pilot’s recovery.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#12]
@Mach

Wanted to bring this over to the aviation side and ask what you did to recover the F15.  Or did the aircraft sort itself out?  I can imagine a spin recovery in an F15 is much more involved than in a 172.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Corey:
@Mach

Wanted to bring this over to the aviation side and ask what you did to recover the F15.  Or did the aircraft sort itself out?  I can imagine a spin recovery in an F15 is much more involved than in a 172.
View Quote

Not really.

For an inverted spin it was out of AB, smoothly neutralize the controls and wait.

I waited hanging in the straps. It stopped spinning, rolled wings level and upright, then the tail went underneath the nose and started an inverted spin again.

It did that 3 times in 24,000 feet of drop.

Going through 10,000 feet over water ( min uncontrolled ejection altitude at the time ) inverted, it did it again and I decide to stay with it and try something different, this time when it stopped spinning and rolled wings level I pushed the stick full forward and went full afterburner, there was a pause where it did nothing and then the nose went nose over to 145 degrees inverted, I was able to get some airspeed roll wings up and pull bottoming out 1500 feet over the ocean.

Fun times
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Mach:

Not really.

For an inverted spin it was out of AB, smoothly neutralize the controls and wait.

I waited hanging in the straps. It stopped spinning, rolled wings level and upright, then the tail went underneath the nose and started an inverted spin again.

It did that 3 times in 24,000 feet of drop.

Going through 10,000 feet over water ( min uncontrolled ejection altitude at the time ) inverted, it did it again and I decide to stay with it and try something different, this time when it stopped spinning and rolled wings level I pushed the stick full forward and went full afterburner, there was a pause where it did nothing and then the nose went nose over to 145 degrees inverted, I was able to get some airspeed roll wings up and pull bottoming out 1500 feet over the ocean.

Fun times
View Quote

All that in about what, 3-4 minutes?  I don’t know the rate of descent for an inverted F-15 in a spin, but I’ll bet you do!

Great job and I am glad that it worked out for you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Easy to armchair these things so take my opinion for what its worth, which is not much as I haven't flown a jet... but their chances of survival would have been a lot better if they'd pushed over at the top of that climb(before airspeed decayed too badly) and punched.

Really lost a TON of momentum, airplane stalled/spun and was headed in when they ejected.  

If you have a means to eject, I take that any day over trying to get any airplane back to the runway.

RIP to the pilot and prayers to the family.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By GroupTherapy:
Easy to armchair these things so take my opinion for what its worth, which is not much as I haven't flown a jet... but their chances of survival would have been a lot better if they'd pushed over at the top of that climb(before airspeed decayed too badly) and punched. 

Really lost a TON of momentum, airplane stalled/spun and was headed in when they ejected.  

If you have a means to eject, I take that any day over trying to get any airplane back to the runway. 

RIP to the pilot and prayers to the family.
View Quote

The best place to initiate ejection with those seats is wings level in any vector other than down. As soon as you are descending, it dramatically reduces the capability of the seat, and at the altitudes they were at they were probably out of the ejection envelope the second they were headed downhill.

The decision to eject is a tough one, and goes against the instincts of nearly every pilot.  The #1 reason for unsuccessful ejections is a "delayed decision to eject" because that desire to not leave the aircraft is so strong.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Former Snow Birds pilot gives some thoughts to the crash sequence

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MudEagle:
The best place to initiate ejection with those seats is wings level in any vector other than down. As soon as you are descending, it dramatically reduces the capability of the seat, and at the altitudes they were at they were probably out of the ejection envelope the second they were headed downhill.

The decision to eject is a tough one, and goes against the instincts of nearly every pilot.  The #1 reason for unsuccessful ejections is a "delayed decision to eject" because that desire to not leave the aircraft is so strong.
View Quote

All of this!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like he zoomed after an engine problem, stalled the plane, and ejected too slow/low for the seat.  If so, the cause will be "Ejection outside of the seat envelope" with maybe a contributing factor similar to "pilot stalled aircraft while preoccupied with engine trouble".  

Don't know the first thing about those planes but they weren't going very fast past the camera and were pretty low, whatever altitude there was to be gained in the zoom was very little.  Google says the plane stalls about 70kts and the seat is good above 90kts.  That 90kts presumably assumes the aircraft is level with no descent rate.  

Old seats are scary!  Many modern seats can be safe at low airplane altitudes even when inverted or with very high vertical speeds.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Was browsing videos about ejection seats and stumbled upon this very informative video.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top