User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 4:48:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cold Blooded Cafe and Perfect Prey are both great feeder companies ran by good people. Rodent Pro has somewhat of a "shady" history.
View Quote

I've gone with Rodent Pro for years, but I may have to one of the other places a try next time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I read somewhere that the F/T mice from Petco/Petsmart are no good. Is this true? Why would their F/T not be any different from rodent pro or the other mentioned places?

I got a box of 4 F/T from there thinking they would be basically the same thing. I forgot what the brand/company they came from. I can look when I get back home.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I read somewhere that the F/T mice from Petco/Petsmart are no good. Is this true? Why would their F/T not be any different from rodent pro or the other mentioned places?

I got a box of 4 F/T from there thinking they would be basically the same thing. I forgot what the brand/company they came from. I can look when I get back home.
View Quote

I had to get a few frozen fuzzies from PetSmart while I was waiting for my shipment from RodentPro.  They just didn't seem as appetizing to my Indigo thet the stuff from RodentPro did.  No idea why.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got a few.
One of my 2020 clutches
https://i.imgur.com/a60WzzY.jpg
View Quote

@Ramsey118

Awesome clutch. Two hets and four clowns. Enchi pastel clown and enchi pastel het? That one looks super super clown.

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I had to get a few frozen fuzzies from PetSmart while I was waiting for my shipment from RodentPro.  They just didn't seem as appetizing to my Indigo thet the stuff from RodentPro did.  No idea why.
View Quote

Good to know. Maybe I’ll go ahead and place an order from one of these places and get some better food on the way.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Had the dude out for a bit today.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

They have been known to thaw and be refrozen during shipping.  So, they can sometimes be disgusting and there's no way to know when you purchase them at the store if that happened.  If you order frozen feeders online, they are packaged in a thick styrofoam box with dry ice so everything is still frozen solid when they land on your doorstep - and then you get to play with the dry ice.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Those are really beautiful animals. The photos are terrific.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ll post a ball. Pastel pinstripe desert ghost.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They have been known to thaw and be refrozen during shipping.  So, they can sometimes be disgusting and there's no way to know when you purchase them at the store if that happened.  If you order frozen feeders online, they are packaged in a thick styrofoam box with dry ice so everything is still frozen solid when they land on your doorstep - and then you get to play with the dry ice.
View Quote

Ok yeah I see that being an issue and I’ve read a few stories about rotten/moldy feeders.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Are “hoppers” pretty much the same as “large mice”?

The petsmart FT mice I got were sold as just Large Frozen Mice. On Cold Blooded Cafe the closest thing I see is hoppers....these
Attachment Attached File

What they advertise as large mice are way bigger than the large mice I got but these look very close to what we have/his size.

Any opinions please?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]
These are the pet store brand we have now
Attachment Attached File

Marker for size reference
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Hoppers are just about the size when they start moving around and "hopping".  Definitely not large mice.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Your boa looks like it could take three or four hoppers at a time or a small mouse.  Thoughts @Bubbles?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#15]
@ak4784 give him another year and get him a bag of "button quail" (newly hatched quail chicks) and he'll eat them down like popcorn.  My ratsnakes love them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

That's a very cool morph.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#17]
You need to look at the feeder weight, not necessarily whether a particular vendor calls it a "small" or "large", though usually at the smaller sizes there's less variation.  Where you need to watch carefully is in the XL-jumbo rat range.  One of my local feeder providers has "jumbo" rats that weigh anywhere from 16-24 oz.

The PetSmart "large" feeders were about 19 grams each (76 grams package weight on the box for 4 feeders).  FWIW Arctic Mice brand is typically on the low end for feeder size range; this is what you get for a "large mouse" from most sellers:
https://www.coldbloodedcafe.com/product-page/large-mice

Of course your problem here is that they come in a bag of 50 so if you feed once per week it'll take a while to use them up.  Eventually your snake will get big enough you can offer two per meal, though when you first do that you should push the feeding interval out from 7 to 10 days.

Also when you get them you can weigh and re-bag to put the 18-23 gram mice in one bag, and the 24-29 gram mice in another.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Regular old Pastel Desert Ghost. About my favorite morph.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you for all the info! On closer inspection I guess the large mice you posted the link to are not to much different, as you mentioned they are a bit larger but I think that might be ok. I have digital scales around here somewhere I can use to sort them out.

I still have the 3 mice left I will probably use first anyway and I bet he starts a shed phase somewhat soon, after all that he may need a bit larger mice anyway.

Do you think in you’re opinion the Large mice in the link you posted bubbles would be good size for my snake? If so I’ll go ahead and order.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do you think in you’re opinion the Large mice in the link you posted bubbles would be good size for my snake? If so I’ll go ahead and order.
View Quote

Those might be a tad large for a 2020 male.  I've ordered from CBC and most of their feeders run in the middle to upper weights in the range, so you do get good value for the money you spend.  I would get small mice, feed off the larger ones first, and then feed two of the smaller ones per meal as the snake gets a bit bigger.

Also boas are not supposed to be fed heavily anyway.  They can take 6-7 years to reach adult size.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:09:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Ok cool. I will take a look at the small mice. I guess I didn’t realize the size/descriptions can vary that much. I just know to try to match the size of food to the snakes body size. The bag he was shipped in was marked with info. It said they were feeding adult FT mice, so when I went to petsmart and found the Arctic FT large mice that matched the snake size, it was all good. Attachment Attached File

Now trying to shop for them online has me all confused about sizes LOL. Again, thank you for the help!!

ETA- I have read a lot about their feeding regimens. Many say it’s actually unhealthy to feed them to often and it shortens their life span. I plan on slow growing him. Once every 7 days for the first year then I’m going to start walking it out longer a bit as he gets older/bigger. I read that after several years I should only feed him once a month basically. 3/4 weeks.
Somewhere we saved a feeding chart that was posted in boa passion FB group as the recommended guide for feeding. It seemed to match everything I read pretty close.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:20:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Do snakes get back problems since, well, they are all back?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol idk...lemme go ask my boa real quick. He’s still young so he prob won’t know about any of that tho.

jk- I don’t really know. I’ve seen pics/videos of snakes born with problems. Kinked up or whatever
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@Ramsey118

Awesome clutch. Two hets and four clowns. Enchi pastel clown and enchi pastel het? That one looks super super clown.

View Quote

Thanks
that one is a Super Pastel Enchi Clown. He's super cool
 LOVE your Desert Ghost btw!
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#25]
here's a boa litter that birthed friday
pairing was a Hypo DH Red Dragon x Blood Het Albino

Got 2 SUN DRAGONS!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Got 2 SUN DRAGONS!!!
https://i.imgur.com/VzhizEz.jpg
View Quote

BOA GOO!!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Got 2 SUN DRAGONS!!!
View Quote

Daaaamn!!! That’s awesome!!!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Got 2 SUN DRAGONS!!!
View Quote

Nice! Great odds too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/158348/902F55AF-4597-4593-BA49-706347E93C73_jpe-1431599.JPG
View Quote

You have some nice DGs. I have seen some that could barely pass as a fire. The market for DGs right now is HOT if you breed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Back issues are not as common as you would think. Snakes are basically tubes of pure muscle which helps take the stress off their spine. The most common health issues are obesity and poor husbandry.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You have some nice DGs. I have seen some that could barely pass as a fire. The market for DGs right now is HOT if you breed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/158348/902F55AF-4597-4593-BA49-706347E93C73_jpe-1431599.JPG

Thanks! When I went to get into balls, I decided to do a nicer investment snake that I could breed down the road. DGs hold color, and value (like a few of the recessives). So that’s where I went. Fingers crossed for some snek seeds from the 20/21 season.

Since you mentioned Fire, my Fire DG from jkr.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've got a few.
One of my 2020 clutches
https://i.imgur.com/a60WzzY.jpg
View Quote

Clown combos looking sharp.

I had about a dozen BPs that I let go as a lot back in January, had to pay the mortgage and didn't have a job at that moment.

They were neat critters, so were the rats.  With 4 dogs that need attention we probably won't do BPs again, but they're cool.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 1:17:18 AM EDT
[#33]
OST as Mrs. FishKepr wants a snake.  We have an old 30G long aquarium that we can repurpose and are thinking about getting a corn snake, nothing special, and we understand they are good for newbies.

We already have a bearded dragon going a year now and is thriving so I think we're ready for a snake.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OST as Mrs. FishKepr wants a snake.  We have an old 30G long aquarium that we can repurpose and are thinking about getting a corn snake, nothing special, and we understand they are good for newbies.

We already have a bearded dragon going a year now and is thriving so I think we're ready for a snake.
View Quote

Snakes are awesome. Corns are cool. Balls are cooler.  

I’m extremely bias to the Desert Ghost morph.

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/search?q=Desert+ghost&sex=&cat=2&traits=&neg_traits=&min_price=&max_price=&store=&country=&export=&sort=le&page=1
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

Just shed and ate six large fuzzy mice.  I'm going to need to upgrade the size of his food as soon as I'm done with this batch of feeders.  Probably fuzzy rats.  @theleadfarmer1911  @azjeeper
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Snakes are awesome. Corns are cool. Balls are cooler.  

I’m extremely bias to the Desert Ghost morph.

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/search?q=Desert+ghost&sex=&cat=2&traits=&neg_traits=&min_price=&max_price=&store=&country=&export=&sort=le&page=1
View Quote

I grew up right in the heart of corn snake country.  Had lots of them.  Always very chill.  The irony is that one I bought out here in AZ was a complete douche, yet my Taiwan Beauty snake that has a bad reputation was like an eight foot corn snake.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

A corn snake is great for new keepers but it will eventually outgrow a 30L.  They are also escape artists so I'd suggest a proper PVC or melamine enclosure designed for reptiles from somewhere like NW Constrictors, Boaphile, Animal Plastics, Herptastic, etc.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

A corn snake is great for new keepers but it will eventually outgrow a 30L.  They are also escape artists so I'd suggest a proper PVC or melamine enclosure designed for reptiles from somewhere like NW Constrictors, Boaphile, Animal Plastics, Herptastic, etc.
View Quote

I once had a baby corn escape it's terrarium and make its way into my closet where I raised rats and mice to feed my hobby (pun intended).  It slipped through the bars of one of my mouse cages that had a new litter then ate too much that it couldn't get back out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Just acquired Boris, this beautiful Emerald Tree Boa for my collection.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/471621/WIN_20200609_16_31_35_Pro_jpg-1454508.JPG
View Quote

Nice!  Import or captive bred?
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/471621/WIN_20200609_16_31_35_Pro_jpg-1454508.JPG
View Quote

Beautiful snake!  Just wish their temperaments weren't pure evil.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#42]
@theleadfarmer1911  Just placed an order with Cold Blooded Cafe.  Figure it was time to upgrade the size of the feeders just a bit.  Kinda feels like I'm cheating on Rodent Pro after ten years.  Lol!  But I don't mind trying a new source.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
@theleadfarmer1911  Just placed an order with Cold Blooded Cafe.  Figure it was time to upgrade the size of the feeders just a bit.  Kinda feels like I'm cheating on Rodent Pro after ten years.  Lol!  But I don't mind trying a new source.
View Quote

I’ve just gotten a large order from rodent pro in that I’ll probably toss. The rats smell rotten when defrosted. Snakes don’t like them. Big cheese feeders did great for me in the past. These from Rodent Pro are not doing what I need to get snakes up to weight.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I’ve just gotten a large order from rodent pro in that I’ll probably toss. The rats smell rotten when defrosted. Snakes don’t like them. Big cheese feeders did great for me in the past. These from Rodent Pro are not doing what I need to get snakes up to weight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I definitely think it's time to try something new.  Unfortunately the place I just ordered from has no selection beyond mice and rats of various sizes.  When my beauty snake was at his max he could knock down two medium guinea pigs like it was nothing.   Maybe the other place mentioned has more species selection.  I'll have to check it out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I definitely think it's time to try something new.  Unfortunately the place I just ordered from has no selection beyond mice and rats of various sizes.  When my beauty snake was at his max he could knock down two medium guinea pigs like it was nothing.   Maybe the other place mentioned has more species selection.  I'll have to check it out.
View Quote

Find locals who raise chickens, and offer to take nasty roosters off their hands.  Big pythons love fowl.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 12:51:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Find locals who raise chickens, and offer to take nasty roosters off their hands.  Big pythons love fowl.
View Quote

And if I had big boids that would be a great option, but for now just colubrids.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nice!  Import or captive bred?
View Quote

He's an import. I would've preferred captive bred, but there wasn't any available in my area.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#48]
My snake joined a gang and now has a tear drop under his eye
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Just got my order in from Cold Blooded Cafe today.  Bag of "hoppers" and two bags of fuzzy rats.  Since it was feeding time for the indigo I thawed out three hoppers.  He seemed to go at them with a bit more enthusiasm than the stuff I bought from Rodent Pro.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I got my order yesterday from them! Was packed really fucking nice with a bunch of dry ice. Feeding day is this weekend.

I sorted through about 25 of the 50 mice we ordered. Nice weight range/sizes. Ranging from 19 grams up to about 29 grams. Currently we are feeding our snake on the smaller end, so this pack of mice should be great. I can step up the food size easily down the road.

I thought I ordered white mice but ended up receiving black mice. Not sure if that’s normal to get different colored mice or not but shouldn’t matter I don’t think. Just didn’t expect that. Anyone know?
Page / 13
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top