Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Last time I saw them he kept going off stage and eating/drinking something.  It was annoying as fuck.  In between every song and sometimes during drum or guitar solos. James Iha (I think that is the guitarists name) kept covering for his long absences.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
The Smashing Pumpkins - Muzzle
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's ok. Siamese Dream and Gish are peak Pumpkins. Touched my first boobies while listening to Siamese Dream too. So I might be a little biased though.

The 90s were fun. Now I'll be a nostalgia trip for a while. Thanks OP
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The Smashing Pumpkins - Muzzle
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Billy Corrgan’s best album was Celebrity Skin.

Fight me!
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Still one of the best albums of the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYSbztCCTlA
View Quote

I'd be surprised if Pumpkins fans who are intimately familiar with "Gish" and "Siamese Dream" would agree.  My recollection is that record curtailed the band's momentum.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Absolutely. I get a lot of people just don't like thier sound, but Billy Corgan is an insanely talented musician/songwriter.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You know what that means?...
View Quote

I saw them at their peak. That show was kick ass.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:00:57 AM EDT
[#10]
My band used to cover “Take me down”.  Really enjoyed playing that song.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd be surprised if Pumpkins fans who are intimately familiar with "Gish" and "Siamese Dream" would agree.  My recollection is that record curtailed the band's momentum.
View Quote

I loved both of those. But infinite sadness is up there with them.

One of my favorite pumpkin songs.

Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans (Remastered 2012)
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I saw Smashing Pumpkins just before covid and again a few months ago with Jane’s Addiction.  They aren’t the best live band. Jane’s Addiction was opening, but the better performance.

I saw Live just before covid with Bush and Our Lady Peace.  I’m not a big Live fan, but they are decent live, no pun intended.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188107/C0BF7F23-52EF-4E4F-9C67-533D667D2124_jpe-2778161.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188107/0D742DE6-58D2-41AD-9914-56200170230D_jpe-2778162.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188107/2A546B1E-BCB3-40E5-8685-1836FA95ACED_jpe-2778163.JPG
View Quote

I did the whole European backpacking thing in 2003 and stayed in a hostel in Amsterdam sharing a room with a Canadian dude. I put on some Our Lady Peace and his jaw dropped to the floor, couldn't believe an American was into them. They were a bit of a one hit wonder here but they were one of the biggest bands in Canada for many years. I saw them once and they put on a good show.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Billy Corrgan's best album was Celebrity Skin.

Fight me!
View Quote
It would have been cool to hear some of those as actual Pumpkins' songs. I can't for my life understand how Courtney Love got her hooks into so many truly talented individuals and just used them up until they got sick of her shit.. she's not even hot.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Siamese Dream was the first album I owned on CD. I must have played that thing a few hundred times that year. Gish also went on heavy rotation, as did Mellon Collie when it came out. I think my favorite Smashing Pumpkins album, at least of those three, is whichever one I'm listening to when you ask.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Smashing Pumpkins always fill me with a huge sense of loss that their era is gone. That I never went for it with the cute girl up the street who rode my bus and wore a Pumpkins shirt almost every day of the week, who would smile at me at the bus stop but I was too pussy to do anything about it. Ah emo 90s teenage regret
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I loved both of those. But infinite sadness is up there with them.

One of my favorite pumpkin songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe9dTVbAtcw
View Quote

That's cool.  All a matter of opinion, or consensus of opinion.  Personally I thought there was too much filler.  And the band lost some of its edge.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:15:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Siamese Dream was the first album I owned on CD. I must have played that thing a few hundred times that year. Gish also went on heavy rotation, as did Mellon Collie when it came out. I think my favorite Smashing Pumpkins album, at least of those three, is whichever one I'm listening to when you ask.
View Quote

I hear you.  Always thought this was a nice version of a great song.

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#18]
The Smashing Pumpkins - Cherub Rock
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was so excited to see them for like 15 years, then I finally saw them in 2018 and they were so bad I left the show early, which I think I've never done before in dozens of other concerts.  I honestly could not believe how bored I was.  At one point, Corrigan stood at the mic for like 30 minutes telling vampire poetry.  It was soooo bad lol.

I hope this tour is better for you.  Seriously I do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too. Got tickets for their first show in Vegas.

I was so excited to see them for like 15 years, then I finally saw them in 2018 and they were so bad I left the show early, which I think I've never done before in dozens of other concerts.  I honestly could not believe how bored I was.  At one point, Corrigan stood at the mic for like 30 minutes telling vampire poetry.  It was soooo bad lol.

I hope this tour is better for you.  Seriously I do.

Dude... that's more than 20 years past their prime... and ours. Bands like that don't age well live, especially a voice like his.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't forget the actual track:

Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness

That song alone is what has always made me want to learn how to play the piano.
View Quote

I decided the same thing about a year ago.  I had lessons as a kid, but never really learned to read music properly until buying the sheet music for this song and just learning it.  If you decide to do it, I can personally attest that the arrangement available from www.musicnotes.com is true to the album version.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:39:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I saw them in Chicago during the zeitgeist tour and billy and the band completely kicked ass. The performance was very good and covered songs from the entire career. It's was awesome to be able to experience it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#22]
The Mellon Collie tour was the first concert I ever went to.  Nashville Municipal Auditorium in 1996.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Lollapalooza '94 in Philly was my first concert.

They headlined and Billy was boning Courtney then. He brought her on as a surprise guest and she solo performed a few songs off of Live Through This- her first performance since she had Kurt murdered.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#24]

I cannot listen to this song loud enough.

Great thread with great tunes in it. Cheers.

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Never heard of em
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Never heard of em
View Quote

I was going to tag you earlier. You found it
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I’m about to see them in concert this summer.
View Quote

Good luck.

Smashing Pumpkins are a horrible band to see live.
They are a studio band, and everyone should know that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Saw them last year with Janes Addiction. Good show. SP didn’t do an encore which was kind of lame. JA did a great show. They have a lot of energy and did some fun banter with the crowd.

I’d go see both again
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#29]
When I am old and lost in my own backyard, I will still remember the lyrics on this album.

I've listened to it that many times.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never heard of em

That tour was my first concert.  Saw em in Champaign Illinois at the U of I.  I've seen them I think three times and Zwan twice.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Good luck.

Smashing Pumpkins are a horrible band to see live.
They are a studio band, and everyone should know that.
View Quote

I've seen them many times, and I wouldn't say horrible.

They aren't the greatest live band, but if you love the music, you have a few beers and enjoy.  

I don't need to sound exactly like it does on the albums.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
The middle eight on "Galapogos" is a punch in the gut.

Again, another tremendous song ("Muzzle") far more mature than I could appreciate at the time it came out. I could say the same for the whole record. It has aged very well. The Pumpkins and Corgan at the height of their powers.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I was a huge pumpkins fan growing up.  I learned to play music while listening to all their albums.  At one point, you could name any song off any of their albums and I could play the guitar and drums.  If you consider the albums as a whole, I liked siamese dream the most.  Mellon collie 2nd, then a handful of songs from other albums.  Adore was a huge disappointment.  We already had low expectations when machina came out, so we were pleasantly surprised it didn't suck as bad as adore.

I still have all the original CDs and even their viewphoria VHS.  One of the more rare CDs is a concert in budapest or something like that.  The CD itself is gold and had a pretty good recording of them playing tonight tonight.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I was working in Manhattan when it came out.
I asked our Lieutenant if we could take a ride over to Tower Records, so I could pick it up.
Spent the afternoon listening to it in the housewatch booth.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#35]
That was a good one, for sure.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Siamese Dream is still better, IMO
View Quote

So many wrong answers were given before the right answer appeared.

Gish was good as well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Billy Corrgan's best album was Celebrity Skin.

Fight me!
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Yep, pumpkins were in my Top 20 playlist back then
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Siamese Dream is still better, IMO
View Quote
Yuuup
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Gish > all the others.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Another vote that Siamese Dream is superior.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#43]
In 1994 I took a young lady, 15 years old, to Lalapalooza at America West Arena in Glendale, Arizona.
I used to play SP songs on my guitar for her all the time. When Meloncollie dropped, the day it went on sale, she skipped school and took the bus through Phoenix looking for the CD set. It took her visiting three places to find it. She found it at Metrocenter Mall and took the bus to my mom's house in Glendale. The bus dropped her off two miles from my house. She ran the entire way to put that album in my hand, for my 18th birthday present. October 23rd, 1995, two weeks before my birthday, but close enough. In a few days, we will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. Next January we will mark 30 years together. Our daughter is now older than my wife was when we first met.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In 1994 I took a young lady, 15 years old, to Lalapalooza at America West Arena in Glendale, Arizona.
I used to play SP songs on my guitar for her all the time. When Meloncollie dropped, the day it went on sale, she skipped school and took the bus through Phoenix looking for the CD set. It took her visiting three places to find it. She found it at Metrocenter Mall and took the bus to my mom's house in Glendale. The bus dropped her off two miles from my house. She ran the entire way to put that album in my hand, for my 18th birthday present. October 23rd, 1995, two weeks before my birthday, but close enough. In a few days, we will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. Next January we will mark 30 years together. Our daughter is now older than my wife was when we first met.
View Quote

Nice work.  Smart guys know when they have a keeper.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Right on man That's what being blessed looks like imho.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's awesome, congratulations
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I concur....

and surprisingly... Billy Corrigan is BASED as fuck.
View Quote

This. Billy is a cool dude.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Sad that the Billy and D'Arcy (bassist) had a falling out.

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sad that the Billy and D'Arcy (bassist) had a falling out.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9d/7c/87/9d7c87fce89011133ce7a5e22bcae250.jpg
View Quote
She only played live and was arguably dead weight.  Everything you hear on the albums is Corgan.  

Plus:

Yikes!
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
She only played live and was arguably dead weight.  Everything you hear on the albums is Corgan.  

Plus:

https://i.imgur.com/vh1HrQv.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/hHGDvQZ.gif

Yikes!
View Quote

James Iha dodged a bullet.  Those 2 were banging back when she was hot.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top