Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2023 10:21:14 AM EDT
I've looked everywhere I can think of and can't quite find a solid answer.  So in Ohio, you used to need a CCW to conceal carry. (Which I have).  In 6/2022, they passed a law that no longer requires a CCW if you want to conceal carry.  Now I know with the previous CCW law/restrictions, you needed approval to carry in a church/place of worship from that location.  Now what I can't find is if you still need that permission (assuming there is no placard restricting firearms) since concealed carry is open to all legal 21+ residents.  Any help or sources would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's concealed, who's gonna know?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you have permission from the place of worship you cannot carry there.  See:

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Files/Publications-Files/Publications-for-Law-Enforcement/Concealed-Carry-Publications/Concealed-Carry-Laws-Manual-

Forbidden-Carry Zones
Under the law, you may not carry a concealed handgun into the following places:
• Police stations
• Sheriff’s offices
• Highway Patrol posts
• Premises controlled by BCI
• Correctional institutions or other detention facilities
• Airport terminals or airplanes beyond screening checkpoint or other restricted areas
• Facilities for the care of mentally ill persons
• Courthouses or buildings in which a courtroom is located
• Universities, unless specifically permitted
• Places of worship, unless the place of worship permits otherwise
• State and federal government facilities that are not used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest
facility and are not a courthouse or a building or structure in which a courtroom is located. Specific government entities may
allow you to carry by statute, ordinance, or policy. Consult the government entity before carrying into the building.
• School safety zones
A “school safety zone” includes a school, school building, school
premises, school activity, and school bus. For purposes of this
statute, a school includes everything up to the property boundary.
However, if you have a CHL, you may have a concealed handgun in a
school safety zone if you leave the handgun in the motor vehicle, the
handgun does not leave the vehicle and, if you leave the vehicle, you
lock the vehicle
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Great source.  Pretty much exactly what I needed. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as I know the only things that changed when Constitutional Carry went into effect is
1. you do not need to notify if stopped by LEO but if they ask you have to acknowledge if you are.
2. you no longer need to carry your CHL on your person
3. you are not allowed to carry in a school zone dropping off your child if you do not have a CHL.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rexles:
As far as I know the only things that changed when Constitutional Carry went into effect is
1. you do not need to notify if stopped by LEO but if they ask you have to acknowledge if you are.
2. you no longer need to carry your CHL on your person
3. you are not allowed to carry in a school zone dropping off your child if you do not have a CHL.
View Quote

#3 is
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ske714:

#3 is
View Quote
Not Ohio's fault on that one.  It's a federal law that prohibits it, and that federal law has an exemption written into it for some cases (you stay in the car, don't go into the school, etc.) if you have a valid state issued license to carry.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Not Ohio's fault on that one.  It's a federal law that prohibits it, and that federal law has an exemption written into it for some cases (you stay in the car, don't go into the school, etc.) if you have a valid state issued license to carry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Originally Posted By ske714:

#3 is

Ah, gotcha.  Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top