Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/23/2023 8:47:53 PM EDT

I’ve narrowed down my next pistol purchase to one of these two guns. Use case will be a general purpose, do-anything, home defense, nightstand, occasional carry, occasional competition pistol. Both pistols are 9mm 5” fullsize steel frame SAO hammer-fired guns. Regardless of which one I get I will be modifying it. If the DWX it’d get the slide machined for an optic, grips, and a magwell. The P226 would be sent to Bruce Gray at GGI for a full rebuild. Either pistol will get an optic, Surefire X300U-B, and a Mk3 Firearms single-stage trigger job.

EDIT: The P226 X-Five has been purchased
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Pole fail...

...no Glock 19.3
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd pick the one that starts with C and ends with Z. Love the grip shape.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Sig is never the answer to any question, save for the classics.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pole fail...

...no Glock 19.3
View Quote

And take your staple gun triggered poverty popper with you.

Never touching another polymer/striker pistol again
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd pick the one that starts with C and ends with Z. Love the grip shape.
View Quote

That’s the DWX.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm curious as to what you mean when you say you would send the X5 to Gray Guns and have it rebuilt. I voted Sig because I want one and have mags. Milling a new gun for an optic is annoying but if you like it better I get it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#8]
DWX

...but 3 years too late and lost interest.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Why not optic cut on the DWX?
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:42:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just my theory, but they're main market was probably for USPSA limited shooters.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If the DWX had an optic cut, it’s no contest
View Quote

Yep.  Why a company puts out a gun without an optic cut option in today’s world is beyond me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just my theory, but they're main market was probably for USPSA limited shooters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in 9mm it isn't
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not when they only make it in 9mm.

It was a failure by CZ/DW
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Platypus come optics ready.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:12:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Own both, X5 is a nicer gun IMO
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:16:41 AM EDT
[#16]
My 226 X5 is an amazing shooter.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Own both, X5 is a nicer gun IMO
View Quote

Quoted:
My 226 X5 is an amazing shooter.
View Quote

Current one or old one? I really am considering a new one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:43:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have the new one (STAS model) but had a German xshort a couple years ago.  They’re extremely close quality wise
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:55:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have the new one (STAS model) but had a German xshort a couple years ago.  They’re extremely close quality wise
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had my hands on one of each today at two different LGS locations. They both feel incredibly high quality, very much worth the roughly $2k price tag
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:56:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If the DWX had an optic cut, it’s no contest
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

From my original post:
If the DWX it’d get the slide machined for an optic…
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:25:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Platypus come optics ready.
View Quote

Aluminum frame, bushing barrel
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:26:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not in 9mm it isn't
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not in 9mm it isn't

Quoted:

Not when they only make it in 9mm.

It was a failure by CZ/DW

They were also supposed to come out in 40S&W.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:27:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm curious as to what you mean when you say you would send the X5 to Gray Guns and have it rebuilt. I voted Sig because I want one and have mags. Milling a new gun for an optic is annoying but if you like it better I get it.
View Quote

Send it to Bruce Gray and have him do all the action enhancement/tuning work he does to create perfected works of firearms art.

I’m leaning very heavily towards the P226 right now, kind of just wanting to see if anyone has any horror stories about them before dropping the $2,200
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:49:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Send it to Bruce Gray and have him do all the action enhancement/tuning work he does to create perfected works of firearms art.

I’m leaning very heavily towards the P226 right now, kind of just wanting to see if anyone has any horror stories about them before dropping the $2,200
View Quote

I have an old one (2012), and remember reading reports of extractor issues on some pistols.  I haven't experienced it though.  I did the 2,000 round challenge with it back when that thread was going in the handgun forum (2k rounds, no clean, no lube).  It worked just fine.

IIRC people with the early extractor issues were sending them to Bruce Gray (grayguns) rather than Sig to get them working.

ETA:  My early X-Five came with checkmate mags.  Toss those right in the trash  the followers were too shallow and would tilt.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:08:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have an old one (2012), and remember reading reports of extractor issues on some pistols.  I haven't experienced it though.  I did the 2,000 round challenge with it back when that thread was going in the handgun forum (2k rounds, no clean, no lube).  It worked just fine.

IIRC people with the early extractor issues were sending them to Bruce Gray (grayguns) rather than Sig to get them working.

ETA:  My early X-Five came with checkmate mags.  Toss those right in the trash  the followers were too shallow and would tilt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I bought my X6 there were extra extractors in the case so I assume the previous owner either had issues or was expecting them. Gray Guns doesn't even list services other than lightening for the X series guns which is why I am asking. Mainly it was the term rebuilt that threw me. I doubt these need much work if they are indeed anything like the old guns.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#27]
DWX…if only there was a commander size in 10mm.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Sig
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Rock 5.0?
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I’ve got a German Mastershop X5.   It’s a dream. Accurate a fuck. Softest shooting pistol I own.
The only complaint is the trigger pull is 2lb and barely touching it will fire.

This is not a gun for an optic. Join the X5 master race.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I have always liked the Sig X5 for many reasons. I wish I bought some a while back as they are worth much more than what they sold for originally and will only get higher.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I have one of the German made X5's identical to this. It's one of my favorite shooters.

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I’ve got a German Mastershop X5.   It’s a dream. Accurate a fuck. Softest shooting pistol I own.

View Quote

What do you mean this is not a gun for an optic?
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every gun is a gun for an optic
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I want a DWX terribly. They’re gorgeous and I’ve never heard a single complaint about how they shoot.

I almost bought an X5 several years ago, but I got a PVS14 instead.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd love a DWX. but the price is silly
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'd love a DWX. but the price is silly
View Quote

How much should they be?
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How much should they be?
View Quote

Considering the market competition and the quality I think it’s about right.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much should they be?

Agree to disagree gentleman. There's no machining, or other magical manufacturing that could drive the price into several times the cost of standard handguns. Neat anodizing aside. But I'm too stupid to pay for that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Agree to disagree gentleman. There's no machining, or other magical manufacturing that could drive the price into several times the cost of standard handguns. Neat anodizing aside. But I'm too stupid to pay for that kind of thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much should they be?

So how much should they cost?
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much should they be?

$1200 tops. Still seems a stretch to me. You have CZ's with allegedly the exact same manufacturing, that cost several hundred dollars apart because of the color of orange or blue in anodizing? I'm no scientist' but i see what i see when i see it. What do you think they are worth?
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Sig P210
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much do you shoot?
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

$1200 tops. Still seems a stretch to me. You have CZ's with allegedly the exact same manufacturing, that cost several hundred dollars apart because of the color of orange or blue in anodizing? I'm no scientist' but i see what i see when i see it. What do you think they are worth?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much should they be?

I can't think of a single comparable gun for $1200. The Prodigy is probably the closest and it didn't take a whole lot of new parts. This is a clean sheet gun that doesn't use a bunch of old parts. Even CZ's Tactical Sport that they have been making forever costs more than $1200 so I just don't think it's realistic.

I wish they were $1500 which is closer to what they were originally supposed to be I think but the inflation hosed all that. Just like you used to be able to get a $1600 STI but they slowly crept up over $2k and are still there under the new company.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

How much do you shoot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much do you shoot?

Not as much as you. Enough to stay current with my defense utility of choice.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I can't think of a single comparable gun for $1200. The Prodigy is probably the closest and it didn't take a whole lot of new parts. This is a clean sheet gun that doesn't use a bunch of old parts. Even CZ's Tactical Sport that they have been making forever costs more than $1200 so I just don't think it's realistic.

I wish they were $1500 which is closer to what they were originally supposed to be I think but the inflation hosed all that. Just like you used to be able to get a $1600 STI but they slowly crept up over $2k and are still there under the new company.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much should they be?

I'd never waste money on an STI or Staccato either. I've shot enough to know the point of diminishing returns. I probably don't make the incredulous amounts of money you do though. I'm just an average person.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Inflation is a thing, and nice things cost money. I think $1,500-2,500 is a decent range for higher-end still predominantly production (maybe with a bit of hand finishing) metal-framed pistols, most of which are marketed for competition or general-purpose high-performance handguns. This is where most entry-level 2011s and 2011-style pistols are
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'd never waste money on an STI or Staccato either. I've shot enough to know the point of diminishing returns. I probably don't make the incredulous amounts of money you do though. I'm just an average person.
View Quote

Just because you can’t afford something doesn’t make it a waste of money
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Like most things in life, price is a point of subjectivity. I challenge either of you to prove the difference in price to performance. Hate on me all you want. Idc. I know in my experience steep admission doesn't necessarily improve shooters capability. I'd reckon the improvement from a $900 gun doesn't justify the delta of a $3000 gun.

ETA: Spelling correction.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top