Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2024 12:06:17 PM EDT
I can never seem to get things perfectly straight when welding and I feel a lot of that has to do with the fact that I'm welding on the garage floor.  I think it's time to put together a nice welding bench, however I'd have to put it together on the garage floor which makes me think I'm just going to screw that up too.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
With an accurate level and some shims you can build some pretty accurate stuff
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
In for ideas on a good welding bench that doesn’t cost thousands.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:55:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#3]
Just buy a portable welding table from HF.
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=welding%20table

Not super amazing… but also better than welding on the damn floor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Just buy a portable welding table from HF.
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=welding%20table

Not super amazing… but also better than welding on the damn floor.
View Quote

I thought about going this direction but I'm welding together bed racks, furniture etc and need a lot more space.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I had my guys build these - ours are on adjustably feet and used 2" square for the top

I run a production weld shop. Most of what we build is on permanent fixtures, but with this table set up you have almost infinite clamping locations.

Slotted Welding Table Build - Part 1
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By stewie97:
I had my guys build these - ours are on adjustably feet and used 2" square for the top

I run a production weld shop. Most of what we build is on permanent fixtures, but with this table set up you have almost infinite clamping locations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHcFqSaB7xE
View Quote

Please, don't take this the wrong way, but adj feet can be a serious issue.
One of our old tables (5ft x 10ft) was setup close to what you showed. It would get moved, all the time, and guys would do their best to level it. Trouble was that it was never perfect and putting weight on it would slowly deform it, making it more difficult to further level it.
The decision was made to make it a permanent fixture and we haven't had a problem since.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Fireball Tool has some YouTube videos with tips on how to weld on the floor and still get good results.
Yes, this is a business that sells welding tables, table accessories etc but his early videos are about how to work with a minimum of this expensive equipment. His squares and a set of clamps really do help with keeping pieces square.
Keep it Flat
Sequence welds to stop warping
How to use squares
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By User55645:

Please, don't take this the wrong way, but adj feet can be a serious issue.
One of our old tables (5ft x 10ft) was setup close to what you showed. It would get moved, all the time, and guys would do their best to level it. Trouble was that it was never perfect and putting weight on it would slowly deform it, making it more difficult to further level it.
The decision was made to make it a permanent fixture and we haven't had a problem since.
View Quote

thanks you, not really an issue with what we do here
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#9]
You're going to have to compromise somewhere. I just quoted a 4x8 sheet of hot roll 1/2" thick at $680. That's probably on the high side. It's still not going to be perfect and you're going to need a tractor to move it onto some kind of frame.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:27:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#10]
Originally Posted By 3one5:

I thought about going this direction but I'm welding together bed racks, furniture etc and need a lot more space.
View Quote
Sawhorses, bro. Improvise, adapt.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in this same boat and I keep waffling between one of those laser cut kit tables or ponying up for a table with actual rated flatness like the Build pro tables. Link to 6K Build Pro table
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By stewie97:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHcFqSaB7xE
View Quote

That's pretty awesome.  What saw is that?  I have a Dewalt with the abrasive blade.  That looks faster and cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#13]

That's pretty awesome.  What saw is that?  I have a Dewalt with the abrasive blade.  That looks faster and cleaner.
View Quote

Looks like an Evolution. This chop saw is where it's at: Evolution S355MCS
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

We had the smaller evo saw - and now we have a dewalt cold saw and the Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw for anything too wide to fit the band saws.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wildearp:

Sawhorses, bro. Improvise, adapt.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/Welder_and_cart_JPG-3098732.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/gate_JPG-3098733.jpg

I was interested in fabricating a similar gate in your second photo do you have more pictures and/or drawings you could share of your work?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Yeah, man. Build yourself some horses the height that fits you best, fab away.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By engineer61:
Fireball Tool has some YouTube videos with tips on how to weld on the floor and still get good results.
Yes, this is a business that sells welding tables, table accessories etc but his early videos are about how to work with a minimum of this expensive equipment. His squares and a set of clamps really do help with keeping pieces square.
Keep it Flat
Sequence welds to stop warping
How to use squares
View Quote

He also has some smaller fixture tables that will do 95% of what you will ever do in a home shop. The 54x30 table is $2700...24x30 is $1300...

I know you don't want to spend a lot but with a fixture table and accessories you can really turn out some nice stuff...
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I found an old small metal table frame and put a piece of  sanded plywood on for the table surface.   It’s small at about 2.5x3 feet, but I don’t need anything large or ultra flat so it works great for me.  I have a piece of scrap aluminum plate that is 1 inch thick and about 1x2 feet for small things that need to be flat(ish).  
I guess I’m saying what you need could be much simpler/cheaper than what you want.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#20]
These are $75/ea.  I use 3, a level, and a small pallet to do quite a bit of work.  They also fold up for easy storage or transport.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
These are $75/ea.  I use 3, a level, and a small pallet to do quite a bit of work.  They also fold up for easy storage or transport.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145430/1000006529_jpg-3100853.JPG
View Quote

I have two of these, use them with a couple of saw horses to weld some 16ft prefab sections of pipe fence.

But it's just a fence to keep hoodlums out, if it's a 1/2" out, no one is really going to see it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Saw horses and two 3'x4'x42"work benches.

One of these days I'll assemble another steel welding table
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Ive welded a shit load on this little table
24X42 , on casters , small vise you and angle iron
on end for pipes .

24X72 on casters , vise more of a layout
table .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top